Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Roster Post Pre Season

2019 Roster Post Pre Season

Seeing that I’m on the couch staring at the game. Thought I’d put my thought on paper. What do you think will be the lineup come the regular season.

Let’s just assume for now that Zion is healthy and would be in the lineup. What’s you’re 1sr, 2nd, and 3rd rotation?

Mine:

1st:

Zo
    Ingram
    Holiday
    Zion
    Favors

2nd:

Naw
    Hart
    Redick
    Meli
    Oakfor

3rd:

Jackson
    Williams
    Moore
    ?
    Hayes

What you got?

Mostly the same as you except Kenrich > Hart
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Mostly the same as you except Kenrich > Hart
    I could not disagree more haha. Hart all day!

Hart definitely >>>> Kenrich all day. But Kenrich is a nice player on the roster.

Kenrich > Hart as a rebounder, passer, team defender.
    Hart > Kenrich as a shooter, on ball defender.

Given that we already have tons and tons of guys who can manufacture offense, like Jrue, Zion, Ingram, Lonzo, NAW, and Melli, I value the lower usage glue guy who just serves as the perfect connective tissue to string together versatile lineups over the guy who makes most of his impact on the offensive end.

Given that we already have tons and tons of guys who can manufacture offense, like Jrue, Zion, Ingram, Lonzo, NAW, and Melli, I value the lower usage glue guy who just serves as the perfect connective tissue to string together versatile lineups over the guy who makes most of his impact on the offensive end.
    Assuming your personal assessments of both player's abilities are accurate.

Which according to my personal assessments, they very much aren't.

Plus Hart seems to have the edge as a vocal leader with experience on the big stages this team will be on a lot this year.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Assuming your personal assessments of both player's abilities are accurate.

Which according to my personal assessments, they very much aren't.

Plus Hart seems to have the edge as a vocal leader with experience on the big stages this team will be on a lot this year.
    What big stages has Hart been on in the NBA?

Unless you literally just mean ''he was in LA''.

What big stages has Hart been on in the NBA?

Unless you literally just mean ''he was in LA''.
    I said big stages period.

National championship as one of Villanova's best players in 2016.

Summer League MVP the year Lonzo Ball was drafted and super hyped (Laker squad won SL championship that year)

And yes, all eyes were on L.A. last year with Lebron that first half of the season. Was supposed to be the year the Lakers return to the playoffs. Like it or not, Lakerland is always a big stage in the NBA because the networks make it so.

And all of that shows on the court. He's not quiet and seems to embrace challenges.

Kenrich is a nice player, but if I'm choosing who I want on the court, its Hart 10/10.

Ok. Not gonna argue about who's gonna be our 9th man

I got
    1st:

Zo
    Holiday
    NAW
    Zion
    Favors

2nd:

Frank/Hart
    Redick
    Ingram
    Kenrich/Meli
    Meli/Okafor

3rd:

Hart/Hart
    Moore
    Okafor/Meli
    Hayes

Basically I see the starting lineup as firm. And Ingram/Redick as the only constants in the 2nd unit. 2nd unit will vary on hot hand and matchups. But I see Kenrich establishing a permanent spot on the 2nd unit as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kenny Hustle doesn't start while Zion is out. Aside from Jrue, he is the most complete player on the roster. I concede that he is not as spectacular at a given discipline as another, but he does all things very well. He sees things before they occur.

NAW would be a waste in the starting line up right now. Why would you regulate him to be a role player with the starting unit? That's only going to weaken the team as a whole.

The current starting line up is perfect as it has a balance of scoring, playmaking, passing, rebounding, defense, hustle, and athleticism.

NAW is not a player you want to limit in the starting lineup by having him space the floor and be the 3rd option. You have plenty of guys who can do that on the roster so there's no need to waste away his talents in that type of role. You want him to come off the bench and play freely as the first or second option and as the primary PG/ball handler. He will be 100 times more effective playing the 6th man role. And the Pelicans won't lose leads and will make a lot of comebacks with the second unit. He will be the engine that makes our second unit dangerous. Our second unit with NAW should be scoring 30-40 points a night.

NAW and Frank needs to play together as much as possible. They have amazing chemistry and they feed off of each other. Frank can score on all 3 levels and won't allow opposing defenses to double NAW.

Redick is going to get time with both units. I see Ingram going to the bench mid quarter and allowing Redick to play with both Ball and Holiday. Ingram comes back in with the bench which works well with the NAW/Jackson/Hart/Ingram/OAK or Melli lineup as we saw last night.

Gentry needs to stop playing Moore at PG and at SF. He either gets minutes at SG or stay on the bench for the youth.

NAW is amazing, but hard to fit into the starting line up right now. I can see him being in some closing lineups when we need points on the board though, which is is higher praise than starting in many cases. I am actually liking Ok more than Favors at the 5 on both O and D from what I have seen so far.

What I would like to see:

Starting:
    Zo
    Jrue
    BI
    Zion
    Okafor

2nd
    NAW
    Reddick
    Hart
    Favors/Melli (depending on if we need more shooting or more D)
    Melli/Frank (depending on match ups)

Hard for me to try to squeeze too many minutes in for Williams and Moore with all the studs we have unless we have injuries or specific match ups for Williams, AND because we definitely need to find minutes for Jaxson to bring him along; I would love if he gets strong enough and develops good enough D to break into the regular rotation at the 5. I foresee him becoming an incredible roll man like Capella.

My 2 cents: Hart is actually a great rebounder and pretty darn good team defender, possibly superior to Williams despite giving up some size, and can also switch onto more positions than Williams. Also, it's not just about Hart's personal offense, it is the synergry that he creates on offense; when the defensive knows they have a non-scorer in Williams, that actually makes it significantly more difficult for the other 4 guys to score, as opposed to a guy they know can both both drive and shoot in Hart.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    NAW would be a waste in the starting line up right now. Why would you regulate him to be a role player with the starting unit? That's only going to weaken the team as a whole.

The current starting line up is perfect as it has a balance of scoring, playmaking, passing, rebounding, defense, hustle, and athleticism.

NAW is not a player you want to limit in the starting lineup by having him space the floor and be the 3rd option. You have plenty of guys who can do that on the roster so there's no need to waste away his talents in that type of role. You want him to come off the bench and play freely as the first or second option and as the primary PG/ball handler. He will be 100 times more effective playing the 6th man role. And the Pelicans won't lose leads and will make a lot of comebacks with the second unit. He will be the engine that makes our second unit dangerous. Our second unit with NAW should be scoring 30-40 points a night.

NAW and Frank needs to play together as much as possible. They have amazing chemistry and they feed off of each other. Frank can score on all 3 levels and won't allow opposing defenses to double NAW.

Redick is going to get time with both units. I see Ingram going to the bench mid quarter and allowing Redick to play with both Ball and Holiday. Ingram comes back in with the bench which works well with the NAW/Jackson/Hart/Ingram/OAK or Melli lineup as we saw last night.

Gentry needs to stop playing Moore at PG and at SF. He either gets minutes at SG or stay on the bench for the youth.
    He would be replacing Ingram in the starting lineup. So is Ingram's role in the starting lineup to be a role player? He would easily be the 3rd option behind Jrue/Zion. Lonzo is more of a Draymond type player. His shooting actually balances the starting 5 more. And the shooting in the 2nd unit actually benefits Ingram more and will allow him to have more ISOs which is his game.

Also, Gentry will stagger lineups. It won't be a whole lot of entire bench units on the floor for extended periods like in preseason.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 10-19-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    He would be replacing Ingram in the starting lineup. So is Ingram's role in the starting lineup to be a role player? He would easily be the 3rd option behind Jrue/Zion. Lonzo is more of a Draymond type player. His shooting actually balances the starting 5 more. And the shooting in the 2nd unit actually benefits Ingram more and will allow him to have more ISOs which is his game.

Also, Gentry will stagger lineups. It won't be a whole lot of entire bench units on the floor for extended periods like in preseason.
    We actually want to minimize ISOs playing regardless of whether BI is in the starting or bench lineup, and BI provides a lot of value in other areas besides his scoring. Though the way he plays does work well with both lineups and he will definitely get plenty of overlapping minutes with both lineups, there is value in terms of keeping him happy based on what he has already proven so far in the league, as well as maintaining/maximizing his trade value by keeping him in the starting lineup.

Ingram has pretty much been a role player with the starting unit. He's basically the 3rd option behind Holiday and Zion. And Holiday has yet to really take on the scoring load since it's still preseason so you still have that. Ingram will do most of his damage within the flow of the offense or as a bailout option when the starters are out there. It's when he becomes the primary ball handler with the second unit is when he will get to play Ingram ball. You don't want NAW to play that type of role, you have Redick for that.

Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Zion, and Favors are your starters. you can sprinkle Redick in there but that will be the opening and closing lineup on most days unless guys are in foul trouble. Ball and Holiday aren't foul prone so they aren't going to be sitting much.

The staggering lineup is overplayed and has been debunked by Gentry in his interviews. He's not going to play 12 guys a night with multiple line ups. Most likely will be 8 and may extend to 10 unless it's to clear the bench. If this is a quality bench, there's no need to stagger guys on most nights. The bench should be able to hold their own whether we're leading or down.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    Seeing that I’m on the couch staring at the game. Thought I’d put my thought on paper. What do you think will be the lineup come the regular season.

Let’s just assume for now that Zion is healthy and would be in the lineup. What’s you’re 1sr, 2nd, and 3rd rotation?

Mine:

1st:

Zo
    Ingram
    Holiday
    Zion
    Favors

2nd:

Naw
    Hart
    Redick
    Meli
    Oakfor

3rd:

Jackson
    Williams
    Moore
    ?
    Hayes

What you got?
    This looks like a playoff team, if they play like they did in the preseason.

Ingram has pretty much been a role player with the starting unit. He's basically the 3rd option behind Holiday and Zion. And Holiday has yet to really take on the scoring load since it's still preseason so you still have that. Ingram will do most of his damage within the flow of the offense or as a bailout option when the starters are out there. It's when he becomes the primary ball handler with the second unit is when he will get to play Ingram ball. You don't want NAW to play that type of role, you have Redick for that.

Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Zion, and Favors are your starters. you can sprinkle Redick in there but that will be the opening and closing lineup on most days unless guys are in foul trouble. Ball and Holiday aren't foul prone so they aren't going to be sitting much.

The staggering lineup is overplayed and has been debunked by Gentry in his interviews. He's not going to play 12 guys a night with multiple line ups. Most likely will be 8 and may extend to 10 unless it's to clear the bench. If this is a quality bench, there's no need to stagger guys on most nights. The bench should be able to hold their own whether we're leading or down.
    Denver had 10 players average more than 17 minutes per game last year that all played at least 57 games. I also haven't seen Ingram act as a role player with the starting unit either. Almost everyone has been complaining that he's been taking whole possessions for himself. Which I think the team wants him to do.

I do believe Gentry also said with the style this team plays, there will be opportunity to get a deep rotation of minutes.

Ball
    Holiday
    Ingram
    Williams
    Favors

NAW
    Redick
    Hart
    Melli
    Okafor

Moore, Jackson, Williams will most likely see healthy scratches. Moore definitely getting traded. Jackson's minutes will probably trade with Hart's, depending on who's hot and the matchup.

Also wouldnt be surprised if Favors gets moved before the deadline.

Denver also only had 2 guys to break 30mpg. You have to think that Holiday, Ball, Ingram, and Zion will all break 30+ mpg. Then you have Redick who will at the very least get 25mpg. Minutes will be hard to come by unless injuries occur or we absolutely struggle. Can they do it, Yes. But will they? Not sure I see it right now. Gentry has been asked about going deep into the rotation the regular season and he flat out said no and that it wouldn't be fair to the guys.(Assuming he means the starters)

Denver also only had 2 guys to break 30mpg. You have to think that Holiday, Ball, Ingram, and Zion will all break 30+ mpg. Then you have Redick who will at the very least get 25mpg. Minutes will be hard to come by unless injuries occur or we absolutely struggle. Can they do it, Yes. But will they? Not sure I see it right now. Gentry has been asked about going deep into the rotation the regular season and he flat out said no and that it wouldn't be fair to the guys.(Assuming he means the starters)
    That is true, I'm pretty sure I've seen Gentry say that we'll be trimming down to a 9 or 10 man rotation during the regular season. If that is true, and my memory is correct (which it's possible it isn't ) then that kind of implies that the last few guys on the roster (men 9 and 10) probably won't be getting big minutes. I feel like when you run a 9 or 10 man rotation, that pretty much says that your starting 5 are going to carry the bulk of the load, with the 6th, 7th, and 8th men as the standard subs and then 9 and 10 as situational guys.

Well we can set an arbitrary mark right at 30 minutes, but Denver had 4 players all up near or over 30 minutes. Plus two more players near 25 minutes.

So its not some difficult impossibility for a deep team.

Arbitrary? Really? The 4 I listed will play anywhere from 30-36mpg. I listed 30 because that's the minimum amount of minutes they'll play. Denver had significant injuries that allowed those type of minutes. They also don't have a traditional SF so that allows their plethora of SGs to share time. We are locked in with our 4 starters in terms of big minutes. Not to mention line up versatility from guys like Zion, Holiday, and Ingram. Minutes are going to be hard to come by unless something happens or they struggle.

Technically a roster update, but not big enough to deserve it's own thread, so here it is. Guys we expected to get cut before the regular season are getting cut.

Technically a roster update, but not big enough to deserve it's own thread, so here it is. Guys we expected to get cut before the regular season are getting cut.
    Aren't some of these guy's an exhibit 10 who will be assigned to the Pels G league?
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 10-19-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Thread Information