Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion injury update?! {edited" Torn meniscus - out 6-8 weeks}

He was shut down in summer league and he had the injury at Duke when he blew out the shoe. I think the only thing that cab derail him is injury at this point and the amount of pressure he puts on his knees is a serious concern.

Blessing in disguise . We found it now instead of later. Gentry seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Ehhhh... I think it's a bad move to not be transparent. This is a huge sucker punch of PTSD to the gut. Especially, when you got the inflated ticket prices to see Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Windhorst: Pels have known for a while. First thought it would be a month. After tests, injury was not as serious as thought. A couple weeks seems to be the consensus. Injury+conservative recovery on Pels part.
    Much better response.

Quote Originally Posted by 8th_ward View Post
    He was shut down in summer league and he had the injury at Duke when he blew out the shoe. I think the only thing that cab derail him is injury at this point and the amount of pressure he puts on his knees is a serious concern.
    The injury at Duke was a freak accident. Like you said, his shoe blew out. That can't really be factored into discussions regarding proclivity to injury, imo.

And he was shut down in summer league for a light bruise from knee to knee contact, and because he wasn't in full playing condition. Even Griff admitted in like, 5 interviews immediately after it was announced he was out that in reality, he was absolutely fine, they just didn't wanna risk anything for the sake of Summer League.

This is his first real ''injury'' that wasn't caused by something weird like a shoe blow out. I trust Aaron Nelson to advise Zion on his weight: if he needs to lose some more, Nelson will tell him and make sure he does. We don't even know how much he actually weighs.
    Basketball.

Windhorst: Pels have known for a while. First thought it would be a month. After tests, injury was not as serious as thought. A couple weeks seems to be the consensus. Injury+conservative recovery on Pels part.
    That's good. If it's like, oh well he could be back in 10 days, but we wanna give him another 10 just to be super safe and do rehab and get him some practices before games, then that's totally good with me. Means he loses 3 weeks (in that imaginary scenario) but who cares as long as he's healthy long term.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I like that they are taking caution early. It’s important that he loses weight but how much fat does he have on his body? Seriously?

I hope they play him 27mpg to protect his knees.

Zion should shed 15-20lbs, develop a good jump shot and 3 point shot, be a just a little more conservative in how he plays, and manage his minutes so he only plays as much as we need him to to win.

Melli, NAW, Favors, Redick, Kenny, and Ingram etc all have to step up. I like the idea of putting NAW in the game and letting him develop.

Remember, this is a long term slow build. We can’t rush it. If we make the playoffs great... however, if we miss the playoffs my hope is our young guys develop and we get Cleveland’s 2020 1st round pick and have a shot at landing 2 solid rookies in the next draft. Patience in critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope my November 7th tickets is right on schedule

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    That's good. If it's like, oh well he could be back in 10 days, but we wanna give him another 10 just to be super safe and do rehab and get him some practices before games, then that's totally good with me. Means he loses 3 weeks (in that imaginary scenario) but who cares as long as he's healthy long term.
    Just for personal greed, I'd still like to know WHAT the injury is .

Just for personal greed, I'd still like to know WHAT the injury is .
    Oh for sure. I'm really curious to know. I'm just betting that we'll only find out after he's back or something, in some misguided attempt to prevent panic.

This is the question everyone wants an answer to. How much body fat is there? I personally don't see a lot of fat, plus he's only 19.

This is the question everyone wants an answer to. How much body fat is there? I personally don't see a lot of fat, plus he's only 19.
    We're never going to get that answer. How often do you find out what NBA player's body fat percentage is? Once, really, at the combine, and there's never another official release of it. And Zion didn't do the combine.

They let him play through it because they were trying to build the hype machine. It’s now built, so he can sit. Pretty reckless if you ask me. We are lucky that it didn’t evolve into something worse

We're never going to get that answer. How often do you find out what NBA player's body fat percentage is? Once, really, at the combine, and there's never another official release of it. And Zion didn't do the combine.
    I get that, I guess I'm struggling with what I see, which is not an overweight guy. I've never seen him with his shirt off but there can't be a lot of fat, right?

I get that, I guess I'm struggling with what I see, which is not an overweight guy. I've never seen him with his shirt off but there can't be a lot of fat, right?
    I doubt it's high.

Some people hold weight differently. Zion has broad shoulders, a broad waist, and thick arms: if you got him down to 230 or something, he'd look weird.

Was he 285 when he first got weighed for Duke? Probably. Was he 285lbs by the end of his time at Duke? Not a chance. He visibly slimmed down throughout the year as he played, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was walking around more like 265 by March. Of course, he put some weight back on during the Summer, but he already looks to have dropped a lot of it. The only people who really know are the medical staff and training staff who will be monitoring this stuff directly, and we've got to just trust them. Aaron Nelson is good at his job: if Zion is 280 and needs to lose 20lbs, Nelson will know that. If he's actually 260 and he thinks that's sustainable and reasonable for someone with Zion's build, then he'll know that too.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I just hope this isn't the start of something. With his weight and him not knowing how to go anything less than 100 mph has me concerned that this could happen again this season.

When AD left and we were getting Zion, this should have been the start of something new. Yet, this is only a continuation.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    They let him play through it because they were trying to build the hype machine. It’s now built, so he can sit. Pretty reckless if you ask me. We are lucky that it didn’t evolve into something worse
    There is no way I believe that to be accurate.

no. They are trying to get him in to game shape via playing real game minutes. People need to stop freaking out over this, embiid didnt play for 2 years and everyone was calling him done. Let’s not over react to knee soreness.

If Zion is going to play 82+ games he has to be able to play a preseason and I don’t think 10lbs is going to make a significant difference in the wear and tear on his knees. Lebron with the Heat was playing at the same weight he is now. Not saying he couldn’t benefit and prolong his career by cutting a little. But if he’s injury prone he’s injury prone and there isn’t a ton anyone can do about that.trainers and medical staff aren’t going to magically fix genetics.

The chicken littles are out in full force with this one. Every time Zion has the usual NBA player injury, they won't shut up.

In other news Gentry said Redick will start tonight. So someone else in the starting lineup either not playing or coming off the bench. Ingram?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    There is no way I believe that to be accurate.
    It’s 100 percent true and I will not hear otherwise. Team doctor over here

This organization wouldn't know transparency if it came and slapped them in the face. I thought we left that with the last regime.

This is just plain stupid

I don't recall 350 lb running power dunking Shaq having constant injury problems until he was 30+.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    This is just plain stupid
    No U

See DeMarcus Cousins

Thread Information