Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Zion injury update?! {edited" Torn meniscus - out 6-8 weeks}

How do we know the best way for Zion to get into what his peak, prime basketball shape is by not playing basketball? I would think if the argument is we want to get Zion to his peak it would probably be by using the sport he is going to play in as a means of achieving that peak. I mean they aren't going to throw him in the weight room to slim down.

Powerful words from Griff. If you think he is out of shape.

Jenny Craig should do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Red shirt year! I'm going to be highly upset with our organization if Williamson plays 1 game this year. Take this entire year to develop his body in the best way possible for long term sustainability while simultaneously working on developing a jumper. Zion has to be a wing player not a big.
    This is totally absurd unless post surgery there are structural/stability issues or concerns.

What part about it not being about fat don't you get??? If he is indeed carrying around 284lbs as the article suggests it doesn't matter if it's all muscle or all fat 284 is waaaaay too much.

Nobody would ever call LeBron fat yet he knew he needed to slim down.
    And how many years did a healthy LeBron sit out to slim down?

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    18! Lazy idiot didn't even play his first game until 18 years into his life.
    Basketball.

Barkley says it only takes 3 months to slim down so no we don’t shut down Zion .

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    The question should be how many knee surgeries did he have?

People here are such Homer's they argue basic things. Nobody ever said in can't have a long career at 280. The point is he's far more likely to have a healthy career @250.

For example I can't tell anybody they can't live a long life drinking, smoking and eating unhealthy foods. However I can tell you your chances of having long healthy life increases with a healthy life style. But let's act like I'm saying something so absurd. The IQ here still needs improvement.

People here are such Homer's they argue basic things. Nobody ever said in can't have a long career at 280. The point is he's far more likely to have a healthy career @250.

For example I can't tell anybody they can't live a long life drinking, smoking and eating unhealthy foods. However I can tell you your chances of having long healthy life increases with a healthy life style. But let's act like I'm saying something so absurd. The IQ here still needs improvement.
    It is ludicrous to sit a player an entire season to protect him. Without playing you are trying to tell him to get in better basketball shape and hone his body into something that someone on a message board thinks is better for him. When has a player ever been benched for an entire season because his body needs to be redeveloped?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It is ludicrous to sit a player an entire season to protect him. Without playing you are trying to tell him to get in better basketball shape and hone his body into something that someone on a message board thinks is better for him. When has a player ever been benched for an entire season because his body needs to be redeveloped?
    AGAIN it's not about being in or out of shape. It's about losing weight, adding flexibility, and strengthening parts of his body that will reduce the stress on his body more specifically his knees.

Realistically Zion could drop 25-30lbs and be in worse cardiovascular shape then he is @275-280lbs. But AGAIN that's not the goal for pushing for the weight loss and that seems to be the thing people keep overlooking.

It doesn't matter if it's happen before. 1st Zion is the most unique athlete to come into the NBA. So there's no precedent for his athleticism. 2nd old players talk about load management not being a thing until it's become a thing. We have to take the best path for Zion to have a long healthy career. IMO it's pretty obvious that it's for him to do his best to reduce the amount of stress on his skeleton, tendons, and ligaments. It's better to play this as safe as possible.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 10-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.

It's better to play this as safe as possible.
    Totally agree. Gotta be as safe as possible. We cannot risk anything.

Therefore I propose a revolutionary idea where we pay Zion $30m a year for the next 15 years, on the proviso that he never enter a gym, step foot on a basketball court, or even leave his own house.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Totally agree. Gotta be as safe as possible. We cannot risk anything.

Therefore I propose a revolutionary idea where we pay Zion $30m a year for the next 15 years, on the proviso that he never enter a gym, step foot on a basketball court, or even leave his own house.
    I only respond to highlight how some people react when they don't have a logical response.

Sometimes young players bodies aren't ready. In most cases it's a lacking strength or size issue. In Zion cases it having too much size. Why gamble with the franchise? In a season where we'd have to play over the teams head just to make the 8th seed.

I only respond to highlight how some people react when they don't have a logical response.

Sometimes young players bodies aren't ready. In most cases it's a lacking strength or size issue. In Zion cases it having too much size. Why gamble with the franchise? In a season where we'd have to play over the teams head just to make the 8th seed.
    I only responded that way to highlight how absurd your argument was when taken to its most extreme. Reductio ad absurdum, etc etc.

The fact of the matter is that the only thing Zion can ever do to provide value to the New Orleans Pelicans is play basketball. If he is healthy, ready to go, willing to go, etc, and you refuse to allow him to play basketball then, as someone who is getting paid $10m this season, he becomes a negative asset. Obviously that's only for a single season; I'm hoping that you wouldn't take a look at him again next year and decide he looked chunky and needed to sit out another year, but still, a single season of negative value is not what you want from an organisational standpoint. Especially when it's completely and 100% unnecessary.

Further, given that Zion is the centrepiece of this team going forward, you really need to see players get minutes alongside him to decide if they fit for this team's long team future. Ingram is staring down the barrel of $100m or more in contract value next summer; do we really want to make the choice over whether to pay him based on a year where we unnecessarily forced ourselves to lose the required data to make that decision in an informed matter?

And of course, ALL of this completely ignores the fact that you do not have any of Zion's personal medical data, and Nelson does, so if Nelson believes that it is the right thing for Zion to be playing then he is making that judgement from a far, far better position of judgement than you are.

AGAIN it's not about being in or out of shape. It's about losing weight, adding flexibility, and strengthening parts of his body that will reduce the stress on his body more specifically his knees.

Realistically Zion could drop 25-30lbs and be in worse cardiovascular shape then he is @275-280lbs. But AGAIN that's not the goal for pushing for the weight loss and that seems to be the thing people keep overlooking.

It doesn't matter if it's happen before. 1st Zion is the most unique athlete to come into the NBA. So there's no precedent for his athleticism. 2nd old players talk about load management not being a thing until it's become a thing. We have to take the best path for Zion to have a long healthy career. IMO it's pretty obvious that it's for him to do his best to reduce the amount of stress on his skeleton, tendons, and ligaments. It's better to play this as safe as possible.
    It is just way too extreme to even be considered logical at all A perfectly healthy player does not give up a year of his career to "work on his body" We have one of the best player development guys in the business I am sure he has a plan based on actual factual information

So you want to trade Zion then? Sorry I paid money to see Zion. If I have to wait till January so be it. Are you the poster that thought we should have picked Drummond over Davis years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    So you want to trade Zion then? Sorry I paid money to see Zion. If I have to wait till January so be it. Are you the poster that thought we should have picked Drummond over Davis years ago?
    Nah, he's never said anything about trading Zion. He just wants to sit Zion out a whole year even if he's healthy.

People act like teams are infallible. Isaiah Thomas was allowed to play on a bad hip. Leonard was expected to play on a bum leg. Teams for whatever reason misdiagnose or just flat out get injuries wrong enough to question their decisions.

Somebody said Zion if healthy and ready to go should play. I don't think 275-280lbs is ready to play with the grueling nature of the NBA schedule.

Either way this board is where logic comes to die. I thought maybe in my absence things may have improved I was wrong.

Well considering Drummond is with his original team and Davis won us nothing maybe it was a better decision than the way you are trying to make it.

Well considering Drummond is with his original team and Davis won us nothing maybe it was a better decision than the way you are trying to make it.
    Galaxy brain take

I don't think 275-280lbs is ready to play with the grueling nature of the NBA schedule.
    The entire point here comes down to this sentence. Are you even qualified to make this statement?

If you are, then excellent! But at that point I would ask what information do you have on Zion to know if his body is unable to handle that weight?

If you aren't, well then just shut up already.

Obviously you aren't qualified and/or certainly do not have access to Zion's personal health information.

From a healthcare practitioners point of view, Zion did not gain this weight suddenly. His frame is not disproportionate. His biomechanical support structure would have developed to withstand the loads he places on his body since he has been playing the intended sport since an early age. Sure, there will be things he can work on and improve from an injury prevention point of view. If Nelson and company do not think he needs to lose weight then he doesn't need to lose weight.

Case closed. Can we move on now?

Funny thing is, I think we are almost as good with him out atm. What we miss in him though is a sure thing at the rim, and that can be crucial in crunch time.

Man that win would have been massive for confidence last night. We need these players believing in themselves while Zion is out.

So you are saying Drummond is better than Lebron? Better than Westbrook? Better than Kawhi? Because Drummond stays with original team?

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    The entire point here comes down to this sentence. Are you even qualified to make this statement?

If you are, then excellent! But at that point I would ask what information do you have on Zion to know if his body is unable to handle that weight?

If you aren't, well then just shut up already.

Obviously you aren't qualified and/or certainly do not have access to Zion's personal health information.

From a healthcare practitioners point of view, Zion did not gain this weight suddenly. His frame is not disproportionate. His biomechanical support structure would have developed to withstand the loads he places on his body since he has been playing the intended sport since an early age. Sure, there will be things he can work on and improve from an injury prevention point of view. If Nelson and company do not think he needs to lose weight then he doesn't need to lose weight.

Case closed. Can we move on now?
    It's not just my opinion it's one that's shared by sports doctors, analysts, and former players.

Teams make the wrong move as it pertains to players injuries all the time. Portland with Greg Oden for example. To the point where saying simply because the team says so therefore nobody should question their decisions is ridiculous.

So you are saying Drummond is better than Lebron? Better than Westbrook? Better than Kawhi? Because Drummond stays with original team?
    Who said he was better. I said he's with the team that drafted him. It doesn't matter to OKC how great Harden, Durant, Westbrook is because it doesn't improve their teams, and at least they got to experience multiple deep playoff runs. In Davis time in NOLA we got no higher than 6th place two playoff appearances, and 5 playoff wins. Not anything to write home about and now he plays for another team. Given that little success does it really matter if we drafted Drummond over Davis right now?

Thread Information