Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Zion injury update?! {edited" Torn meniscus - out 6-8 weeks}

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcuc View Post
    Am I missing something? it's just a torn meniscus right? Rod Artest came back in 8 days from a torn meniscus. Most players recover 100%. Relax everyone wtf
    Basically.

This injury is a pain because obviously we all want to see Zion play, and it means he won't be playing by the Lakers game (probably), and some people have paid for tickets that now don't include a Zion Williamson performance, etc etc, so it's not like it's absolutely nothing. It's a pain, yes. Inconvenient, definitely, and a gut-punch for Pels fans, of course.

But as far as injuries go, this is closer to the minor end than the major end. This isn't an ACL or MCL or Achilles or quad rupture or hamstring tear or anything like that. He will be back before January, and maybe will take a handful of games to really get back into the swing of things, but he will almost certainly be fine. This very probably will not dramatically impact his career beyond the next few months.

The only real downside is that it's likely to increase his chance of things like arthritis as he gets older, which definitely sucks for him, but is hardly some killer for a dude who isn't even 20 yet. Guys his height and weight usually get arthritis anyway, so even that's not some kind of out-of-the-blue issue.
    Basketball.

Sorry, but it sucks. Will we ever play 1 fully healthy season? It will be a long 6-8 weeks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Sorry, but it sucks. Will we ever play 1 fully healthy season? It will be a long 6-8 weeks ...
    Can Teddy play basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Wow what a downer it really sucks but it is what it is.If I remember Lonzo tore his meniscus and instead of repairing they just removed part of it. I think it took two and a half months for him to start practicing again.I wonder who Gentry puts in to replace him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Y'all...

Blake Griffin missed his first season because he broke his kneecap. That was a serious injury.

Ben Simmons missed his first season because he broke his foot, and then it didn't rehab to the expectation so he had to miss the season.

Zion tore his meniscus, an injury that a number of players in this league have suffered. He will not miss the season because of this, it's a common injury. And he's not gonna get shut down because of a meniscus tear. That's unheard of. It sucks he got hurt, but please relax.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Y'all...

Blake Griffin missed his first season because he broke his kneecap. That was a serious injury.

Ben Simmons missed his first season because he broke his foot, and then it didn't rehab to the expectation so he had to miss the season.

Zion tore his meniscus, an injury that a number of players in this league have suffered. He will not miss the season because of this, it's a common injury. And he's not gonna get shut down because of a meniscus tear. That's unheard of. It sucks he got hurt, but please relax.
    This this this this this this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He will be back by January, at the latest. He will be fine. It sucks but it's far from apocalyptic.

And like you said, Blake Griffin and Ben Simmons both had significantly worse injuries than this, and they both somehow managed to come back from it and be absolutely fine. Blake Griffin, for all he never really lived up to his potential, is still a career 22/9/4 guy who just had possibly the best individual season of his career at age 30, and Ben Simmons is a top 30 player and an all-star calibre contributor.

Side note: The record for least games played by a ROTY is Patrick Ewing, who averaged 20/9/2 in his rookie year and only played 50 games for the Knicks.

If Zion misses 8 weeks, that would bring him back around December 16th-ish. We have 27 games before December 16th. So if he returned after that, there would still be 55 games left in the year. That means he could easily sit out a few games for rest if the Pels were super cautious, and still hit 50 games. If he could play 50 games still, I honestly think those Ewing numbers are fairly achievable for him (20/9/2) and he would still be a ROTY candidate. Which is pretty impressive for a guy who misses 2 months.

Helping his case will be the fact that the other two 'big name' projected ROTY guys, Ja Morant and RJ Barrett, are likely to suck. RJ because he's not very good and being on a terrible Knicks team will give him license to be a chucker. Ja because PGs are usually not great in year 1, and he's got legitimate strength issues that will get exploited and have already shown up a little in his pre-season games. Will not be very efficient, and will rack up a lot of turnovers because it's not exactly like the Grizz have a ton of other on-ball creators to help him.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-22-2019 at 12:21 AM.

I've had four arthroscopies over the last 30 years for a variety of knee injuries...the second of which was a meniscus tear. The biggest problem when removing cartilage or ligaments from any joint is the resulting stability of the repaired joint. As my orthopedic surgeon explained to me, it was important that the muscle surrounding my knee be built up to make up for the natural support mechanisms that the knee had lost.

The torque that an elite basketball player puts on his knees is many, many times greater than the average Joe, so I would suppose that this would apply to ZW's recovery as well (and his size only adds to the stress the knee takes even under the most optimal of circumstances).

With this said, his weight HAS to be addressed...not to do so would be negligent.

Tell me, how many teams don't take Zion at number 1, even if he had this injury at the start of the draft instead of now?

None.

Just glad the Pels have the best medical staff to now study his body and tweak their franchise.

Red shirt year! I'm going to be highly upset with our organization if Williamson plays 1 game this year. Take this entire year to develop his body in the best way possible for long term sustainability while simultaneously working on developing a jumper. Zion has to be a wing player not a big.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Red shirt year! I'm going to be highly upset with our organization if Williamson plays 1 game this year.
    Get prepared to be highly upset. Might wanna start stockpiling handkerchiefs now.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    With this said, his weight HAS to be addressed...not to do so would be negligent.
    Given that Griff has said multiple times that they're working on flexibility and mobility, that they don't let him lift much because he adds weight too fast, that he was out of shape in Summer League and they pulled him from that to spend all summer working on his conditioning, and that he's clearly dropped weight now from even two months ago, I think it's very very very very very very safe to say that Aaron Nelson, NBA player trainer extraordinaire, has noticed that Zion's weight was too high and is bringing it down to levels he believes to be more sustainable.

We do not know how much he weighs at this point in time. Maybe his weight IS being addressed. Certainly looks like it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Get prepared to be highly upset. Might wanna start stockpiling handkerchiefs now.
    And if they do which I'm not denying it'll be the same stupidity and shortsightedness that will leave us short of the ultimate goals. And we'll be looking for another person to lead this organization in 7-10 years after sustained disappointment.

And if they do which I'm not denying it'll be the same stupidity and shortsightedness that will leave us short of the ultimate goals. And we'll be looking for another person to lead this organization in 7-10 years after sustained disappointment.
    they should hire you into the front office you're obviously a genius

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Sitting him all year if he is healthy makes no sense whatsoever.

Some of you just need to get used to the idea that he is a big boned big guy. He is ALWAYS going to look "fat" or "out of shape" to your eyes even when he is neither.

Everytime he has an ordinary basketball injury to his legs or feet, you are going to blame his size even when that has nothing to do with it. Even this current injury is an impact injury when his knee hit the floor. But nope, he's too "big."

Jaxson Hayes needs to sit all year. Zion Williamson does not.

Good lord.
    Last edited by luckyman; 10-22-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Some of you just need to get used to the idea that he is a big boned big guy. He is ALWAYS going to look "fat" or "out of shape" to your eyes even when he is neither.

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS CONFIRM:

ZION WILLIAMSON NOT FAT.

IS MUSCULAR.

IS JACKED.

IS NOT FAT.

Also played through a meniscus tear because apparently he has the pain tolerance of a honey badger.

Jaxson Hayes needs to sit all year. Zion Williamson does not.

Good lord.
    I mean this crap is getting ridiculous. this place is becoming unbearable with all of the hot takes and "genius" ideas

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS CONFIRM:

ZION WILLIAMSON NOT FAT.

IS MUSCULAR.

IS JACKED.

IS NOT FAT.

Also played through a meniscus tear because apparently he has the pain tolerance of a honey badger.
    well that can't be true he's too fat to have pain tolerance like that

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    well that can't be true he's too fat to have pain tolerance like that

It's at the ridiculous point where the actual franchise is issuing statements clarifying that he is not fat.

It's absurd. You know who's fat? Jared Dudley. Nikola Jokic. Look at them, then look at Zion.

If they look like they're in the same shape as Zion to you, slap yourself.

This is good. This is maturity. He could have easily tried to keep playing through it and hurt himself worse.

It's at the ridiculous point where the actual franchise is issuing statements clarifying that he is not fat.

It's absurd. You know who's fat? Jared Dudley. Nikola Jokic. Look at them, then look at Zion.

If they look like they're in the same shape as Zion to you, slap yourself.
    exactly figured I could at least come here to get away from all of the idiots with their he's fat takes and yet here we are. I mean I'm not even that mad about it sure it sucks we won't see him for awhile but it's about the future it's not about now and I couldn't care less about him winning Roy sure it be cool but in the end its a useless award when a player like mcw winning it lol

Griff needs to get in front of the camera and explain his body/weight situation.

He'd probably just be called an idiot because Zion is too big no matter what the science says.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I’m not a doctor, but I still think he needs to drop a few. He has a wide frame and he’s so athletic, it’s hard to see his body sustain his natural explosion, especially for someone who only knows how to move at 150 mph. Maybe that’s just me.

Griff needs to get in front of the camera and explain his body/weight situation.

He'd probably just be called an idiot because Zion is too big no matter what the science says.
    The thing is, Zion is tall. Not as tall as some other NBA players, sure, but he is still tall: most people you meet are not 6'6''.

To go along with that, he is built in a muscular fashion. A lot of NBA players are not. Kevin Durant, is not. Even some of the bulkier guys like Lebron are fairly wiry, or at least have been at times: look at some of the pictures from the thinner eras of Lebron's career.

Zion is not built that way. Zion is built like a truck: he's built like Ben Wallace. He has a broad waist, broad shoulders, thick legs, etc etc. So if he was to get down to something like 230lbs (which is, I think, around where Gilbert Arenas claimed he should be) he would look pretty odd. He'd likely look like too little flesh stretched across too much frame, and he'd lose a lot of his strength. Sure, 285lbs might be a bit much, but that means we could be looking at a sustainable playing weight of 260, not 230 or 225.

So if you meet someone who is 6'6'' and built like a truck, they will be heavier than other 6'6'' players, and because muscle is denser than fat, they will be heavier than players who are a little taller but have much higher body fat.

That's just reality, and everyone insisting Zion needs to drop 30lbs or more needs to stop unless you wanna see him out there looking like a zombie.

Let's see what hot take is next.

I say if he comes back and gets injured again it'll be..

"Obviously the Pelicans can't keep him healthy." "They should trade him to the Knicks,...or Lakers for assets now...yeah that's it trade him now.".

Thread Information