Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enes Kanter is tearing Lebron apart on social media

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I feel it unlikely that Morey has a powerful grasp of the situation because, frankly, most people don't. Including people whose job it is to write on the topic: the number of wildly misinformed and speculative articles I've read on the situation is staggering.

I'm not pretending that I have some masterful grasp of it either: it's a very complex situation with multiple moving sides, and I do not consider myself an expert on Sinopolitical relations. But I have enough knowledge of it to know that you'd need to spend some serious time devoted to that specific thing in order to have a legitimate grasp on it, and that's something I'm fairly doubtful that any individual has done, whether it's Morey, Lebron, or even Adam Silver himself. Maybe that's unfair, but while it's definitely unfair to assume that other people know as little as you do in any given situation like this, I think it's also very unfair to assume that anyone who speaks out on a topic is an authority.
    That's a copout. There is not "multiple complex sides" to it. Its a basic foundational principle of our society that people should be able to criticize government, especially tyrannical government. The idea that Morey was "misinformed" for supporting people wanting basic human rights is absurd, but even more absurd is the idea that people should be afraid to voice that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    That's a copout. There is not "multiple complex sides" to it. Its a basic foundational principle of our society that people should be able to criticize government, especially tyrannical government. The idea that Morey was "misinformed" for supporting people wanting basic human rights is absurd, but even more absurd is the idea that people should be afraid to voice that opinion.
    I'm not saying Morey isn't or shouldn't be allowed to criticise government though. Of course he is, and I would never argue otherwise. I'm just saying if you asked him for details on these protests, I don't think he'd be able to go into much depth. I'd be mildly surprised if he could even identify the different groups within the larger protest bloc.

I largely support the protesters myself, although there are certain sub-groups within the protesters that I can't really find myself jelling with. But in terms of whether the protesters or the government are in the moral right, here, I subscribe to the same mindsight of George Orwell on the topic:

''I have no particular love for the idealised "worker" as he appears in the bourgeois Communist's mind, but when I see an actual flesh-and-blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman, I do not have to ask myself which side I am on.''
    Basketball.

Lebron should've never been pressured to comment on something that doesn't concern him. Theres a billion Chinese, Lebron doesnt need to be an activist for them. He has his own community to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Lebron should've never been pressured to comment on something that doesn't concern him. Theres a billion Chinese, Lebron doesnt need to be an activist for them. He has his own community to worry about.
    He was not pressured. Nobody pressures you to tweet .Nobody was pressuring him to comment. Look up the word EGO .

Lebron did it because he is an arrogant, self-righteous dumb dumb that thought he could get away with it. Funny thing is, he is probably right that Morey shouldn’t have tweeted about the situation. Kaepernick shouldn’t have kneeled during the national anthem either. You want to know why? You are representing your brand/employers. You are getting payed to represent the league- not your own self-interests. Having said that, this is America, where you are allowed to speak your opinions. Lebron trying to get Morey fined after all of his self-righteous “freedom warrior” spiel is hypocritical. He isn’t wrong about Morey needing to keep his mouth shut for the good of the league.

LeBron makes many, many millions of dollars selling shoes and other things to the Chinese. It's pretty clear that this matter is something that concerns him. Of course, he chose to comment in an attempt to preserve his future income streams at the expense of democracy and freedom.

I'm not saying Morey isn't or shouldn't be allowed to criticise government though. Of course he is, and I would never argue otherwise. I'm just saying if you asked him for details on these protests, I don't think he'd be able to go into much depth. I'd be mildly surprised if he could even identify the different groups within the larger protest bloc.
    Daryl Morey, famously averse to information.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Lebron did it because he is an arrogant, self-righteous dumb dumb that thought he could get away with it. Funny thing is, he is probably right that Morey shouldn’t have tweeted about the situation. Kaepernick shouldn’t have kneeled during the national anthem either. You want to know why? You are representing your brand/employers. You are getting payed to represent the league- not your own self-interests. Having said that, this is America, where you are allowed to speak your opinions. Lebron trying to get Morey fined after all of his self-righteous “freedom warrior” spiel is hypocritical. He isn’t wrong about Morey needing to keep his mouth shut for the good of the league.
    yeah that talking to silver and trying to get him to do something to him is just wow. silver wouldn't of fined or whatever any player that said the same thing LeBron is just becoming a joke

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    yeah that talking to silver and trying to get him to do something to him is just wow. silver wouldn't of fined or whatever any player that said the same thing LeBron is just becoming a joke

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    It just bothers me for several reasons.

1. Lebron actually thinks he holds the power to dictate who gets fined and all that Jazz.

2. He is a massive player in the overbearing woke brigade. I get why he would be upset, in fact I don’t blame him. Just keep your damned mouth shut on this! Are you really going to send the message that you only want freedom when it benefits YOU? Hypocrisy at its finest

3. Some of the talking heads are actually defending him. You might as well just say the woke movement is a farce and move on. Freedom for all, or freedom not at all

Morey is 100 percent reprehensible whether he intended these consequences or not. I’ll give him the benefit of a doubt and say he was foolish enough not to realize the gravity of those comments. He screwed a lot of people. Lebron just keeps losing my respect by the day.

Tell em Qing James!

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Daryl Morey, famously averse to information.
    You're right.

Being an NBA analytics fan means you must also be an expert of Sinopolitical relations.

I forgot that the two were inextricably linked.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    You're right.

Being an NBA analytics fan means you must also be an expert of Sinopolitical relations.

I forgot that the two were inextricably linked.
    You don’t need to be an expert on Sinopolitical relations to support basic freedoms and human rights. That is exactly what I meant when I said what you posted is a cop out. Morey doesn’t need to know the history of every Chinese dynasty to know that it’s wrong to kidnap people based on their religion or political beliefs. Of course not.

LeBron saying Morey was “misinformed”, while also claiming that he himself doesn’t have enough information to comment, makes no sense. The man has built his brand on standing for social justice, and it’s clear that was just a marketing strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    You don’t need to be an expert on Sinopolitical relations to support basic freedoms and human rights. That is exactly what I meant when I said what you posted is a cop out. Morey doesn’t need to know the history of every Chinese dynasty to know that it’s wrong to kidnap people based on their religion or political beliefs. Of course not.

LeBron saying Morey was “misinformed”, while also claiming that he himself doesn’t have enough information to comment, makes no sense. The man has built his brand on standing for social justice, and it’s clear that was just a marketing strategy.
    I'll repeat myself:

''I'm not saying Morey isn't or shouldn't be allowed to criticise government though. Of course he is, and I would never argue otherwise. I'm just saying if you asked him for details on these protests, I don't think he'd be able to go into much depth.''

I have not said, will not say, and am not saying that Morey is wrong to support basic freedoms, or to criticise the Chinese government, OR that he needs to be an expert on 4th century Chinese trade routes in order to speak on the subject. All I am saying is that I don't think he is an expert on these matters. You don't need to be an expert to have an opinion on the topic.

You're exactly right when you say ''of course not''. Because of course it would be silly to imply that you can't make a judgement call without getting a history degree first. Which is exactly why I'm not saying that you do, and any of the numerous attempts to make it seem like that IS what I'm doing are just disingenuous at best.

I'll repeat: Being rich doesn't equal being smart
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I'll repeat: Being rich doesn't equal being smart
    I don’t think Lebron is stupid. I just think his opinion of himself is very warped from reality. He thought he was above it all and he has finally overstepped a boundary that he couldn’t cross. I’ll be glad when he is out of the game after the tampering fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    LeBron makes many, many millions of dollars selling shoes and other things to the Chinese. It's pretty clear that this matter is something that concerns him. Of course, he chose to comment in an attempt to preserve his future income streams at the expense of democracy and freedom.
    Lebron isnt the only one making millions selling things to China. Doing business with a country doesn't mean he has to be an activist for that country. If he was living in China that would be different. People shouldn't be calling him a fake activist because he doesn't want to speak on another country's issues. Because no matter what he says, he will offend someone

Lebron isnt the only one making millions selling things to China. Doing business with a country doesn't mean he has to be an activist for that country. If he was living in China that would be different. People shouldn't be calling him a fake activist because he doesn't want to speak on another country's issues. Because no matter what he says, he will offend someone
    That is exactly why he shouldn’t have said anything at all. He criticized someone for doing something he would have done himself (if it aligned with his interests). He did not have the right to request a fine for somebody else. He is a freaking hypocrite regardless of who is in the wrong.

There is only one Muhammad Ali . Lebron should have zipped it.

Will repeat though, just for people who don't wanna read the above text in full: DISCUSSION OF WHAT IS OR ISN'T COMMUNISM WILL GET THE THREAD LOCKED.

Unless you want the thread to get closed, talk about Lebron James, players rights to speak about things, whether Lebron is right or not, etc, but don't turn it into an argument about socioeconomic arrangements or political philosophy.
    I didn't know the other thread got locked, my apologies. As a longtime lurker I respect your honesty and level-headedness on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    I didn't know the other thread got locked, my apologies. As a longtime lurker I respect your honesty and level-headedness on these boards.
    That's absolutely cool. I wasn't saying it to be angry at anyone, just as a legitimate warning. I was one of the people arguing about it in the last thread, which is how I know that's what happened

That's absolutely cool. I wasn't saying it to be angry at anyone, just as a legitimate warning. I was one of the people arguing about it in the last thread, which is how I know that's what happened
    More likely UNO Fan being a hard head.

Good for Kanter. Harden and James should be dragged through the mud for this crap. If you play social justice warrior when it suits you financially, you are a fraud.

And yeah, I’m hard headed, but I’ll be darned if I don’t side with Hong Kong, AND BLM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Good for Kanter. Harden and James should be dragged through the mud for this crap. If you play social justice warrior when it suits you financially, you are a fraud.

And yeah, I’m hard headed, but I’ll be darned if I don’t side with Hong Kong, AND BLM.
    Richard Marx or Karl Marx?

Thread Information