Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: October 13th - New Orleans Pelicans @ San Antonio Spurs - Preseason - 3-0

Refs really enjoy making games craaaaaaaaaaaawl don't they
    Basketball.

Man was hoping to see Ingram get some more run with this group. At least a few more minutes. Love watching these young guys like Frank as well. Getting these young guns who will be on our bench are probably the most important minutes we can give out.

Love how Nicky keeps shooting

I think we should give him reigns to shoot out of slumps

People don’t give Frank enough credit around here. You don’t have to discredit him to boost up NAW who we all know is going to be great. Frank is a beast as well and deserves some credit for how much he has improved. Arguably the top 5 most athletic guard in the NBA.

Main guys nights are over, I think. If so, this is how the starting 5 finished up:

Lonzo: 12 points, 1 board, 6 assists, 33% from the floor, 29% from 3
    Jrue: 16 points, 3 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, 64% from the floor, 0% from 3
    Ingram: 10 points, 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 50% from the floor, 1-1 from 3
    Zion: 22 points, 10 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals 73% from the floor, 0-1 from 3
    Favors: 0 points, 3 boards, 0 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 0-3 from the floor

Zion posts his third consecutive game with at least 20 points on at least 70% shooting. His first NBA double double.

We are 100 percent a better team when Ingram plays like a 3rd option. Everything I’ve seen offensively from him post 1st quarter I want to see almost every night. It was a mature performance.

Okafor has the prettiest post moves in the league

I like Hayes on the court at times at PF next to Okafor. He has a lot of ability to be a similar player to AD when you see how smoothe his jump shot is. Now Hayes is extremely raw but I believe he can develop into a big who can shoot the mid range and 3pt while being elite at the rim. Really does remind me a lot of a young AD. If he develops how I think he will I believe he can be even more valuable then AD would next to Zion. Hayes will be fine being a low usage compared to AD needing tons of touches and plays for him taking away from Zion. Of course AD would be great but not even close when you add the rest.

JMO but Hayes will fit so well with this roster. Then you throw in a PG like Ball who is arguably the best in the NBA for someone like Hayes. Oh and a 2 way Star SF in Ingram and the 6th man of the year NAW?!?! Yes I’m excited about the future.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 10-13-2019 at 05:24 PM.

I wish we had more room for Frank. He is so much more assertive as a player and can do some things in terms of scoring and athleticism that could be really useful for a team that needs a scoring guard. We just have 6 good players who are all primarily shooting guards.

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    Okafor has the prettiest post moves in the league
    If it was 1985, Okafor would be a top 10 center.

That's not even meant as an insult, he just has such a refined offensive game. He'd still be kinda meh on defense (although probably better, with less switchability in the league and illegal defense rules) but his offensive so so damn good.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    We are 100 percent a better team when Ingram plays like a 3rd option. Everything I’ve seen offensively from him post 1st quarter I want to see almost every night. It was a mature performance.
    I don't agree.. I don't believe first, second or third option really matters in an offense where everyone is moving and passing. It's all about making the appropriate read, and that's what he did.

You can be a first option, making appropriate reads and not score a lot of points. What you saw wasn't a result of being a third option, it was about making better decisions.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

That's not even meant as an insult, he just has such a refined offensive game. He'd still be kinda meh on defense (although probably better, with less switchability in the league and illegal defense rules) but his offensive so so damn good.
    I love Oak's game, I hope he can get more minutes.

In 2019, he could be a perfect 2nd unit offensive workhorse.

With us, he has an opportunity to be that and on a team that will really appreciate him for it. I still think Oak hasn't really gotten a fair shake and was really unlucky to be drafted by Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I don't agree.. I don't believe first, second or third option really matters in an offense where everyone is moving and passing. It's all about making the appropriate read, and that's what he did.

You can be a first option, making appropriate reads and not score a lot of points. What you saw wasn't a result of being a third option, it was about making better decisions.
    Jrue and Zion are the top options. Ingram needs to be much less ball dominant in this offense and he has been. So I respectfully disagree with you sir

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Jrue and Zion are the top options. Ingram needs to be much less ball dominant in this offense and he has been. So I respectfully disagree with you sir
    Think you misunderstood.. Ingram wasn't playing like a third option.. And Zion wasn't playing like a first option.. Ingram got just as many touches as he usually does, the only difference is he made better decisions. Same thing with Holiday, you can clearly see the offense isn't structured to key in on one specific player or some type of hierarchy.

Can't believe we won that, but we did. Second half comeback, again. Zion had another incredible game, NAW had his worst shooting performance yet but still led the team in assists (8 dimes, only 1 turnover), and Melli really showed out in the first half.

It's good that we've had some struggles early against some quality teams like San Antonio and Utah, but at the same time, hoping we can start having some routs soon. Whenever you have to fight back from behind, that's risky.

Zion's last three games:

29 points on 92% shooting
    26 points on 72% shooting
    22 points on 73% shooting

Has not taken more than 13 shots in any of those games.

I think we are best when Jrue/Ingram/Zion are all playing as 1a/1b/1c options and letting them play their games. There have been may teams who have done this and I don’t see us being any different. We have enough touches to go around for them all and if one is hot roll with it. There will be games where Ingram gets 30-40 points. Same with Jrue and Zion. They all have different skill sets that will be able to get theirs throughout an entire game. We have Zion who is the perfect PG playing with them giving elite defense and an ability to be a great passer making life on each of them easier. People need to just let the season play out and let it develop.

Great 2 half, nice team win!

The Franchise
    Can't believe we won that, but we did. Second half comeback, again. Zion had another incredible game, NAW had his worst shooting performance yet but still led the team in assists (8 dimes, only 1 turnover), and Melli really showed out in the first half.

It's good that we've had some struggles early against some quality teams like San Antonio and Utah, but at the same time, hoping we can start having some routs soon. Whenever you have to fight back from behind, that's risky.
    We haven't lost a single game thus far, and even though it's preseason I think it means something... We will need a healthy and productive Favors if we're going to be successful though. Hopefully whatever he's going through is rectified.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    We haven't lost a single game thus far, and even though it's preseason I think it means something... We will need a healthy and productive Favors if we're going to be successful though. Hopefully whatever he's going through is rectified.
    Hopefully. If I'm the Pels, I don't even play him in the last pre-season game vs the Knicks. Just let him have the week off before the regular season starts, do some work on that strained hamstring, don't risk anything and let him recover for the regular season.

Ball being imo the best outlet passer in the NBA is going to be really fun to watch with Zion. If some didn’t see it they had a ridiculous near full court ally oop. Lonzo has always been insane with long passes.

The Franchise
    Hopefully. If I'm the Pels, I don't even play him in the last pre-season game vs the Knicks. Just let him have the week off before the regular season starts, do some work on that strained hamstring, don't risk anything and let him recover for the regular season.
    Agreed, let him rest..

The Franchise
    So.. if the Pel's game isn't televised are we always going to have trouble finding online feeds for them? I couldn't find a single HD feed.

Frank and NAW have done themselves favors so far. Nickeil is just wise beyond his years. Frank has the ability to get to the rim and finish while shooting a good 3pt percentage. It gives you options which we have never had before

Thread Information