Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nickeil Alexander Walker

Pelicans Nickeil Alexander Walker

This is a very good article on Walker, i think fans will enjoy the read

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...1245798bc.html

Screw the article, looking at his play.... him and Hart are the top two guards we bring off the bench!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    Screw the article, looking at his play.... him and Hart are the top two guards we bring off the bench!!!
    So far top 2 guards off bench have been NAW and Frank Jackson. Two draft picks. Hart had a good game last game.

I really want NAW starting at the 3. It make too much sense for us. He offers the same ISO play that Ingram offers, except he's better off the ball, better shooter, better defender, better team player but he gives up some height.

The thing I love most about NAW is his shot. I see where he gets his confidence from. I don’t care if it’s from the 3 or from the free throw line. What he has you can’t teach. It’s like a natural perfectly arced shot.

Nickeil Alexander Walker

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I really want NAW starting at the 3. It make too much sense for us. He offers the same ISO play that Ingram offers, except he's better off the ball, better shooter, better defender, better team player but he gives up some height.
    I’m with you and I would guess Gentry is willing to wait until Lonzo or Ingram has a minor injury or a major cold streak to insert NAW into the starting lineup. But I’m with you and we are in the minority as most would prefer to see him lead the second unit. The problem I see is that this offense is still at its core the Golden State offense and is built on a wealth of shots and 3s in transition. While I am hopeful Jrue will improve his percentage and Ingram will do his thing I don’t see perimeter shooting in our starting lineup. I hope to be proven wrong but I think NAW will be starting by the All Star break.

Come on be realistic? I love NAW and easily one of my favorite players. He is not a better defender at SF especially. NAW is a PG/SG not a SF. Who cares if he starts as long as he gets the minutes. His time starting will come one day but it definitely won’t be at SF. NAW needs to be the 6th man for our team with the 2nd unit running through him. Lots of rotations they can do throughout the game getting him time with certain players like Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Come on be realistic? I love NAW and easily one of my favorite players. He is not a better defender at SF especially. NAW is a PG/SG not a SF. Who cares if he starts as long as he gets the minutes. His time starting will come one day but it definitely won’t be at SF. NAW needs to be the 6th man for our team with the 2nd unit running through him. Lots of rotations they can do throughout the game getting him time with certain players like Zion.
    We're a team that has started 6'4 Etwaun Moore at the 3 for the last 2 years. The Rockets were a top team for the past 2 years running 6' CP, 6'3 Gordon, and 6'5 Harden at the 1-3 positions.

Nickeil Alexander-walker is nearly 6'6 with a near 6'10 wingspan he can hold his own at 3, he did fine against Joe Ingles last night. And he has been a significantly better defender than BI in the first 3 preseason games. Although ultimately I think Lonzo will be guarding the 3 position if Nickeil starts.

NAW's ability to stretch the floor, playmakers for others and to make great decisions quickly makes him a better fit in the starting lineup in Gentry's read and react offense than BI does. There is no real shooter in our starting lineup and its already showing to be a problem. Lonzo, Jrue and Zion are staples in the starting lineup, Favors for now is as well, which leaves BI as the odd man out.

BI would be better off the bench, there would be more shooters around him. He would have more space and touches to do his thing. And he would still finish in small ball lineups at the 4.

The Franchise
    Ingram isn't strong enough to play 4, even in a small ball line up. I also wouldn't agree that we can say that NAW is a significantly better defender than Ingram after 3 preseason games.

NAW is already one of my favorite players in the league, and I believe our second unit needs a leader like him on the floor. He's not needed as much with Holiday in the starting line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Ingram isn't strong enough to play 4, even in a small ball line up. I also wouldn't agree that we can say that NAW is a significantly better defender than Ingram after 3 preseason games.

NAW is already one of my favorite players in the league, and I believe our second unit needs a leader like him on the floor. He's not needed as much with Holiday in the starting line up.
    I didn't mean NAW is a significantly better defender after 3 games but rather he has been a significantly better defender in the first 3 preseason games.

I think he's needed in the starting lineup. Years of only having Jrue/AD as legitimate scoring options in the starting lineup, has shown we need a 3rd option to be a threat. That option needs to be able to shoot given the makeup of our starting 5.

The Franchise
    I didn't mean NAW is a significantly better defender after 3 games but rather he has been a significantly better defender in the first 3 preseason games.

I think he's needed in the starting lineup. Years of only having Jrue/AD as legitimate scoring options in the starting lineup, has shown we need a 3rd option to be a threat. That option needs to be able to shoot given the makeup of our starting 5.
    Reasonable minds can differ. I think him being a significantly better defender in our first 3 games is an overstatement. You can make an argument for him being in the starting line up, but I think he's more needed in the second unit. He's a good floor general, starting line up already has 2 of those.

Reasonable minds can differ. I think him being a significantly better defender in our first 3 games is an overstatement. You can make an argument for him being in the starting line up, but I think he's more needed in the second unit. He's a good floor general, starting line up already has 2 of those.
    I can agree with this. But let me ask you, wouldn't he eventually have to start next to Zo and Jrue; or would you suggest moving one of them? Me personally I see our core as Zo/Jrue/NAW/Zion/Hayes and possibly Frank/Kenrich. I know Jrue is older but he's the perfect vet to keep around, and I would love to see him retire a Pelican.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 10-12-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Agreed here. I actually think that Ingram's team defense has been mostly solid so far; not perfect, but nobody's has been perfect really. NAW has been good on that end, but I'm not sure it's enough to say he's been ''significantly'' better than Ingram on that side of the court.

And I do agree that I prefer NAW managing the second unit. We've seen what happens when Gentry gets it in his head to run lineups without any primary playmakers, and I'd prefer to see NAW bolted on to all second unit minutes to make sure that doesn't happen. He definitely needs to be playing in the regular season, and good minutes too, but no need to have him starting.
    Basketball.

NAW starting at the 3? Not no but HELL no. Etwaun Moore starting there these last few years was purely because of necessity. Solomon Hill was just trash as far as a front line player.

Having a very good backup point guard is a luxury most teams do not have. And it almost guarantees a playoff push for whomever can find one.

Now that we have one, lets force him into the starting lineup? This is the real game not 2k.

It is possible to stagger lineups so that one of Zo, Jrue or NAW is always on the floor. That would settle the floor general issue. Also BI can run the 2nd unit in spurts especially with Frank/JJ/Kenrich/Meli on the floor with him.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 10-12-2019 at 08:28 PM.

We're a team that has started 6'4 Etwaun Moore at the 3 for the last 2 years. The Rockets were a top team for the past 2 years running 6' CP, 6'3 Gordon, and 6'5 Harden at the 1-3 positions.

Nickeil Alexander-walker is nearly 6'6 with a near 6'10 wingspan he can hold his own at 3, he did fine against Joe Ingles last night. And he has been a significantly better defender than BI in the first 3 preseason games. Although ultimately I think Lonzo will be guarding the 3 position if Nickeil starts.

NAW's ability to stretch the floor, playmakers for others and to make great decisions quickly makes him a better fit in the starting lineup in Gentry's read and react offense than BI does. There is no real shooter in our starting lineup and its already showing to be a problem. Lonzo, Jrue and Zion are staples in the starting lineup, Favors for now is as well, which leaves BI as the odd man out.

BI would be better off the bench, there would be more shooters around him. He would have more space and touches to do his thing. And he would still finish in small ball lineups at the 4.
    NAW is not 6’6 and just because we decided to stupidly play Moore at SF doesn’t make it a good idea. We were also terrible because he couldn’t guard anyone. I would not want NAW guarding any of the teams opposing SFs that are good and there are lots of good ones. Just doesn’t make any sense to play him at SF just to say he’s a starter. You are also using a couple of pre season games as your reasoning? Pump the brakes a little. Ingram is a very good defender with a wingspan thread rivals Giannis and Durant. I think we are good at SF and I guarantee you there is no way on earth we move NAW into the starting lineup as a SF over Ingram. NAW is a combo guard and that’s where he is best. There will be plenty of lineups where different guys play together. It just makes no sense again to start him just to say he starts. Let him be our Lou Williams.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 10-12-2019 at 08:28 PM.

The Franchise
    I can agree with this. But let me ask you, wouldn't he eventually have to start next to Zo and Jrue; or would you suggest moving one of them? Me personally I see our core as Zo/Jrue/NAW/Zion/Hayes and possibly Frank/Kenrich. I know Jrue is older but he's the perfect vet to keep around, and I would love to see him retire a Pelican.
    That's a good question, and honestly I'm not sure how to answer it lol.. This kid is so good I don't know how long you can justifiably keep him out of the starting line up. I don't see the Pels parting with Holiday. So I think it's all going to depend on Ball and Ingram's development.

The thing with Ingram is he has the potential to be the kind of player that gives you lock down perimeter defense while scoring in the mid to high twenties on high efficiency. In addition to orchestrating offense. These kind of players don't come off the bench.

It's a dilemma I'll give you that.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Agreed here. I actually think that Ingram's team defense has been mostly solid so far; not perfect, but nobody's has been perfect really. NAW has been good on that end, but I'm not sure it's enough to say he's been ''significantly'' better than Ingram on that side of the court.

And I do agree that I prefer NAW managing the second unit. We've seen what happens when Gentry gets it in his head to run lineups without any primary playmakers, and I'd prefer to see NAW bolted on to all second unit minutes to make sure that doesn't happen. He definitely needs to be playing in the regular season, and good minutes too, but no need to have him starting.
    Sounds like you guys aren't fond of Gentry's rotations.. Hopefully that's not a major issue, he seems to have it right thus far.

It’s becoming more and more clear nobody here ever watched Ingram before.. The kid was asked to guard the opposing teams best wing every single game last year. He is a true 2 way player who is only going to continue getting better on defense as he gets stronger. His wingspan is the same as Giannis and Durant which is absolutely insane! Again go listen to the people who know basketball talk about his defense and how good he can be on that side. Ingram has a very similar skill set and play style as Paul George the main difference is he is much better at a younger age.

That's a good question, and honestly I'm not sure how to answer it lol.. This kid is so good I don't know how long you can justifiably keep him out of the starting line up. I don't see the Pels parting with Holiday. So I think it's all going to depend on Ball and Ingram's development.

The thing with Ingram is he has the potential to be the kind of player that gives you lock down perimeter defense while scoring in the mid to high twenties on high efficiency. In addition to orchestrating offense. These kind of players don't come off the bench.

It’s not a dilemma at all. What makes the great teams separate from the good teams is they have guys like this on the bench. NAW is just a rookie and there is absolutely no rush at all to put him in the starting lineup. He will likely be our future replacement for Jrue unless Ball doesn’t work out. This is something we don’t have to worry about for another 4 years so let’s judt enjoy how talented we are and go win some games.

Sounds like you guys aren't fond of Gentry's rotations.. Hopefully that's not a major issue, he seems to have it right thus far.
    Gentry has had some kind of odd rotations going on for a while. It's not a HUGE issue, but it does get a little irritating sometimes. I think at least part of it, in the past, has been the fact that we've had no good backups, so he's just been desperately trying to get a team that can play together without AD and Jrue on the court, and that's led to some weird things going on. Now that we actually have some roster depth, I'm hoping that it will be less of an issue.

He's done pretty well with it this pre-season. There have been weird times (the no-ballhandler lineups he's run at times are just not nice) but I think that's largely just because he was trying to get everyone minutes and we have a lot of guys. The regular season should be better. I'm optimistic.

The issue with Gentry (imo) has been that he's a fine coach but that he's got his way of doing things and isn't great at adapting it to fit rosters that don't meet his ideals. That's been a big issue in the past because we haven't had the roster to do what he wants us to do. For the first time since he arrived though, we do have a roster that should be able to do it, so hopefully everything works out this year for his system.

The Franchise
    It’s not a dilemma at all. What makes the great teams separate from the good teams is they have guys like this on the bench. NAW is just a rookie and there is absolutely no rush at all to put him in the starting lineup. He will likely be our future replacement for Jrue unless Ball doesn’t work out. This is something we don’t have to worry about for another 4 years so let’s judt enjoy how talented we are and go win some games.
    Yea I agree, I don't see it as an issue now. But eventually NAW will be playing himself into a starting role.

NAW is not 6’6 and just because we decided to stupidly play Moore at SF doesn’t make it a good idea. We were also terrible because he couldn’t guard anyone. I would not want NAW guarding any of the teams opposing SFs that are good and there are lots of good ones. Just doesn’t make any sense to play him at SF just to say he’s a starter. You are also using a couple of pre season games as your reasoning? Pump the brakes a little. Ingram is a very good defender with a wingspan thread rivals Giannis and Durant. I think we are good at SF and I guarantee you there is no way on earth we move NAW into the starting lineup as a SF over Ingram. NAW is a combo guard and that’s where he is best. There will be plenty of lineups where different guys play together. It just makes no sense again to start him just to say he starts. Let him be our Lou Williams.
    I said nearly 6'6, he's 6'5.5. Same profile as Jeremy Lamb. And actually this isnt based off a couple preseason games, I've been saying NAW should start at the 3 since the summer. I just dont see Ingrams fit in the starting lineup. Zo/Jrue/Zion are all trying to penetrate. Having Ingram trying to do the same thing is over saturated. Ingram reminds me of Tyreke/Randle. For him to be at his best, it would hurt the starting lineup. I've seen you compare him to KD but he's nowhere near the shooter KD is, which makes things different. NAW is a lights out shooter, his fit is just so much better. He can still play his same game at the 3.

Edit: Also, as I said Lonzo would be guarding the opposing 3s if NAW starts.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 10-12-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Lol yeah it's a good dilemma to have. If it comes down to Lonzo and Ingram, I think Zo stays.

I just dont see Ingrams fit longterm especially for him to be at his best scoring 20+, because of how he gets his points. He would have to become a significantly better shooter. Right now he's not spacing the floor which isnt ideal for Jrue and Zion. Ultimately I think Ingram leaves in the summer to a team with more shooting in the starting lineup, which would allow him to be at his best.

I see Lonzo as our Draymond Green a swiss army knife defender, low usage playmaker, the engine to our offense and his jumper is showing promise. Just not as vocal as Draymond, which is fine.

The Franchise
    Lol yeah it's a good dilemma to have. If it comes down to Lonzo and Ingram, I think Zo stays.

I just dont see Ingrams fit longterm especially for him to be at his best scoring 20+, because of how he gets his points. He would have to become a significantly better shooter. Right now he's not spacing the floor which isnt ideal for Jrue and Zion. Ultimately I think Ingram leaves in the summer to a team with more shooting in the starting lineup, which would allow him to be at his best.

I see Lonzo as our Draymond Green a swiss army knife defender, low usage playmaker, the engine to our offense and his jumper is showing promise. Just not as vocal as Draymond, which is fine.
    That's a reasonable viewpoint.. I just think sometimes there's a bit more leeway given to players other than Ingram. You stated that Ball's J is showing promise, even though he's been one of the worst shooters in the league historically. You say this while expressing concern for Ingram's J. That isn't to say that your concern isn't valid, but I think it's too early to conclude that Ingram won't ever be a good shooter from deep. Or that Ball will end up being the better of the two in that department.

Ingram will, and can find a way to fit.. I think it's been an unfair critique. Since he's been in the league hes been asked to wear many different hats. When he was asked to run point and facilitate, that is what he did, and he did it well. Some would say better than Ball, once he got adjusted. I think your perspective on who he is will change by mid-season. Ingram is the kind of player that can do a lot of different things and play a multitude of roles.

Thread Information