Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nickeil Alexander Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    That's a reasonable viewpoint.. I just think sometimes there's a bit more leeway given to players other than Ingram. You stated that Ball's J is showing promise, even though he's been one of the worst shooters in the league historically. You say this while expressing concern for Ingram's J. That isn't to say that your concern isn't valid, but I think it's too early to conclude that Ingram won't ever be a good shooter from deep. Or that Ball will end up being the better of the two in that department.

Ingram will, and can find a way to fit.. I think it's been an unfair critique. Since he's been in the league hes been asked to wear many different hats. When he was asked to run point and facilitate, that is what he did, and he did it well. Some would say better than Ball, once he got adjusted. I think your perspective on who he is will change by mid-season. Ingram is the kind of player that can do a lot of different things and play a multitude of roles.
    I'll try to keep an open mind about him. I say Zo shows more promise as a shooter than Ingram because Ingram has not really shown any improvement in his jumper and this is his 4th season. He has not made any mechanical changes which means he thinks just taking more shots will improve his jumper which is not true. He also gets almost no spin on his jumpshot. While Lonzo has already put in the work and has made mechanical changes, and looks much more improved already in his jumpshot. I would think this trend will continue given his work ethic.

Ingram is a very talented player if he finds a way to fit, then he is a great piece to have. We'll have to see if he does. I just dont see it happening here unless he's a 6th man. But I could be wrong.

The Franchise
    Ingram made structural changes to his J after his first season, and he's been working on it ever since. =) No he doesn't think "just taking more shots will improve his jumper".. This is sort of what I mean by unfair critiques. With all due respect. The shooting percentages fluctuate so like i said before I get your skepticism. He's gone on stretches where he shoots a high percentage even though it's on low volume, so I think there's just cause to remain optimistic. Time will tell.

Ingram made structural changes to his J after his first season, and he's been working on it ever since. =) No he doesn't think "just taking more shots will improve his jumper".. This is sort of what I mean by unfair critiques. With all due respect. The shooting percentages fluctuate so like i said before I get your skepticism. He's gone on stretches where he shoots a high percentage even though it's on low volume, so I think there's just cause to remain optimistic. Time will tell.
    Theres no difference between Ingrams jumpshot now and his rookie season, https://youtu.be/ysx7ywQ0S_s

I don't see it but as you said, time will tell.

The Franchise
    There absolutely is a big difference.. There was a significant amount of ******** back on his jumpers from the elbows. He's corrected that. It's a more fluid motion. It's pretty well documented that he worked on his shot mechanics. =)

Also I don't like saying this (some take it as a slight, which isn't my intent) but this is another one of those things where if you actually watched him develop as a rookie you'd know he doesn't have the same shot.

The Franchise
    lol at c0ckback being censored..

The Franchise

There absolutely is a big difference.. There was a significant amount of ******** back on his jumpers from the elbows. He's corrected that. It's a more fluid motion. It's pretty well documented that he worked on his shot mechanics. =)

Also I don't like saying this (some take it as a slight, which isn't my intent) but this is another one of those things where if you actually watched him develop as a rookie you'd know he doesn't have the same shot.
    I dont really see a difference. I dont want this to turn into something like I'm hating on Ingram, I'm just speaking on his fit specifically for this team going forward. And his game doesn't fit to me unless as a 6th man. Or he somehow turns into a KD-esque shooter.

The Franchise
    Understood, I just wanted to correct the record because I do believe things are said about him that just ins't true. Him not changing his shot or believing that if he "just keeps shooting it", it will get better were items I felt needed to be corrected, respectfully of course. I provided you with a link that shows none of those things are true.

I've heard the fit argument in regards to Ingram, and I suppose you can make that case though I don't agree. Time will be our arbiter.

NAW has inadvertently caused an awkward situation.The kids playing so well you as the coach are realizing wow he's better than guys I'm starting and fits my system better.What do I do? I think Gentry lets it play out and doesn't change anything.NAW is the sixth man and leads the second unit for now.It won't take long to tell if the team is significantly better with him starting he will be starting. This is actually a "good problem" to have imo.

19.5ppg 4.5apg 4.8rpg 31.1mpg

These are numbers not of a starter, but of Manu Ginobli when he won Sixth Man of the Year

Mature players care more about minutes played wherever they best help the team to win than they do about whether they start or not. NAW is already a more mature player than your average NBA vet.

Many players also would prefer to be closing games than starting games if they had to pick, and I foresee many a closing death lineup where we are behind and need all our assassins on the court, which likely include Zion, Jrue, NAW, Reddick, and either a roll man or another shooter/scorer.

In any case, if somehow NAW becomes an even more exceptional player than Ginobli (we should be so lucky), he has more than enough time to grow into that starting role.
    Last edited by SoCal4Pels; 10-13-2019 at 12:26 AM.

NAW is a future star in this league, his shooting, passing, and defense will all be elite. we'll look back in 5 years from now when Zion is a top 5 player and NAW is a top 20 player in the league

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    NAW is a future star in this league, his shooting, passing, and defense will all be elite. we'll look back in 5 years from now when Zion is a top 5 player and NAW is a top 20 player in the league
    Hard to disagree! I said before, after just seeing NAW in summer league, I was already far more excited than I was when I first saw NBA action from BI or Lonzo when they entered the league. He's got an aggressive scoring mentality without getting tunnel vision so he still sees the open player and makes the right pass, to go along with a sweet stroke, good footwork, a handle, and is able to do this while playing under control. Very, very impressive.

Everyone just needs to remember he will have some streaks of bad games where the shot isn't falling for him and not throw him off the bridge. (Though, usually people who do that are right back on the bandwagon after the next good game).

Thread Information