Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This Man Anthony Davis Has a lot of Nerve

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

This Man Anthony Davis Has a lot of Nerve

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...is-los-angeles

"I think a lot of stuff that I did in New Orleans, people saw and heard about. But then again, people said, 'Well, it was New Orleans.' I think the big question is, 'All right, let's see what he can do on a big stage.' Obviously the playoffs are the playoffs, but, 'Let's see what he does on 35 [national] TV games now," Davis says.

"Nobody was really waking up [for a game] in New Orleans. Every game now is like, 'All right, if we beat the Lakers [we accomplished something].' [With the Pelicans] we could lose games and people were like, 'OK, well no one expected them to win this game,' or whatever. Now, every night you have to show up. If not, the next day, here comes your name through the tabloids."
    Good to know that AD half-assed it for 7 years.

And how about this gem from Kendrick Perkins! Playing double agent while playing for us.

BACK IN 2015, NBA journeyman center Kendrick Perkins had landed in New Orleans, where he would play one season alongside Davis on the Pelicans. On the road, the two would frequently break bread together, and their dinner conversations would often turn toward James, whom Perkins had played with on the AAU circuit as teenagers. They were also teammates in Cleveland during James' second stint with the Cavs. During those dinners, Perkins would gush about the four-time MVP's focus and preparation.

"I used to brag about 'Bron a lot with him," Perkins says. "He really didn't have to ask me [about James]. I was doing more of the talking."

In the summer of 2018, when word got out that Davis could be looking for a new agent, it was Perkins who introduced Davis to Klutch Sports.

"I thought it was the best thing for AD," Perkins says. "I thought he needed to be around that type of greatness."

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    And Perk has the gall to try and clap back.

Kind of old news. Davis pretty much admitted this already in that barber shop episode with Antonio Brown.

No one should be suprised. He’s been half assing it on defense for years. When he wanted to he was dominant on defense.

Not surprising at all. Dude should get booed massively when he comes back to the city with the Lakers. It's surprising about perkins though.
    Last edited by Coreyinthe504; 10-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.

To be fair to Anthony, he isn’t completely wrong. While Mr. Benson was around, this team was a bit of an afterthought. The best thing that has happened to this team is Mrs. Benson taking the reigns. Look at all of the staff changes we have made. Anthony was here for 7 years and we persisted with mediocrity and were incredibly unlucky with injuries. I don’t blame him for being a bit disillusioned with the team as we have never had this kind of turnaround while he was here. In fact, he may be a bit jealous. It is what it is. A new beginning for all involved

Just from those quotes, I see nothing wrong with what he said. It's all facts. It doesn't matter how much of a **** show the Lakers organization is, media mouths will always prop up that franchise in that market. Before professional basketball game to New Orleans, I was a Laker fan going back to the Magic/Worthy years.

And it also won't matter how good the Pelicans are. You see it on the football side with the Saints. Last year was a prime example. It was clearly evident early on the Saints were the better team than the Rams or Bears.

Yet the mouths would pick the Saints to lose games while the Rams were the second coming of the 90s 49ers. Why? Because it was the chosen Los Angeles team that's why.

The Lakers are the Cowboys of the NBA. AD is factually correct in what he said.

What is an Anthony Davis?

To me, the national media really showed their feelings towards New Orleans when AD wanted out. They chose to wait until the offseason because they felt more offers would be available, and were made to look like the bad guys. When they win the lottery and the rights to Zion, they immediately spin it as he "looked like he was hit by a truck". You had guys like Stephen A Smith and Colin Cowherd crying that it was the worst result possible. Then to top it off, you had Lebron's fat liason go on TV and say that Zion could decide to go back to Duke, forcing his father to have to go on the radio and say it was never even considered. You're all correct, Los Angeles is like the Cowboys of the NBA. When they're anywhere near decent, every good player is linked to them.

The best players are self motivated. Nobody needs to show up to make Giannis care.

Guys like Giannis, Kawhi, Embiid, Beal, Jrue, etc, top two way guys, leave their heart on the court and they don't care if anyone is watching or if they'll get TV coverage the next day. Does anyone think Bradley Beal is getting wall to wall coverage on the WIZARDS?! Nope.

The fact is, AD has the talent, ability, and IQ to be the best player in basketball. When he's on all cylinders, he IS the best player in basketball, and I strongly believe that, over Giannis, over Harden, over Kawhi, over LeBron (at age 35).

But you only ever saw AD on all cylinders maybe 40% of the time. That's his problem. Glad it's not ours anymore.
    Basketball.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    In fact, he may be a bit jealous.
    I think you are spot on. Despite of him being one of the most gifted players of his generation, he never had the same level of commitment from the city and from the organization as Zion has now. AD left and all of a sudden it is an absolutely different franchise with the bright future ahead of it. I'd be jealous and disappointed too.

He is jealous. I agree. He could have had it all here. Sold his soul. I don’t feel sorry for him.

Also funny thing he thought he was getting Leonard. LOL. Has yet to sign that extension with Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Also funny thing he thought he was getting Leonard. LOL. Has yet to sign that extension with Lakers.
    In all fairness, it would make no sense to sign an extension until after the season (financially).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The best players are self motivated. Nobody needs to show up to make Giannis care.

Guys like Giannis, Kawhi, Embiid, Beal, Jrue, etc, top two way guys, leave their heart on the court and they don't care if anyone is watching or if they'll get TV coverage the next day. Does anyone think Bradley Beal is getting wall to wall coverage on the WIZARDS?! Nope.

The fact is, AD has the talent, ability, and IQ to be the best player in basketball. When he's on all cylinders, he IS the best player in basketball, and I strongly believe that, over Giannis, over Harden, over Kawhi, over LeBron (at age 35).

But you only ever saw AD on all cylinders maybe 40% of the time. That's his problem. Glad it's not ours anymore.
    And the Z Trains motor has damn near unlimited fuel

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Until AD can prove he can break down his opponent off the dribble consistently, he will remain as a top 10 player in my book. Not top 5. Those series and those games against Durant showed me the difference.

I could never rate AD above LeBron, Steph, Harden, Durant, or Leonard because of that. None of those guys need much help to take over a game. Then I'd seriously have to consider Giannis and Embiid.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    In all fairness, it would make no sense to sign an extension until after the season (financially).
    If it all goes south for Lakers he could always go next door to Clippers. Gosh we depleted the Lakers draft for awhile I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    If it all goes south for Lakers he could always go next door to Clippers. Gosh we depleted the Lakers draft for awhile I think.
    Till 2025, pretty much.

MJ can’t wait. Gentry is right don’t compare Zion to Lebron.

You telling me those chest contusion - DNP where just AD taking the night off. Shocking.

I think that aside from his own actions, the thing that has really hit Davis' ublic perception recently has been Jrue's ascendance.

If you asked people three years ago, most people would have said that AD didn't have any help, and while that's not entirely true, Jrue had been injured and hadn't quite taken off yet.

For the last two seasons, Jrue has been launched into the national eye again. I think he's a top 20 player, but even people who don't go that far see him as a top 30 talent. The narrative that AD hasn't had help has taken a big blow, and that's made his inability to lead the team far look even worse than it did before.

Davis injury already?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Meh. They're not winning a chip in L.A. - or at least not the Lakers. Let it go. Maybe he can call Chris Paul and they can form a failed "star" ring-chaser club.

I don't think anyone that has watched Pelicans basketball in the past 7 years is surprised AD can't get up for most games. He won't make it through the whole season.

It's slightly tragic, in a way. The most likely outcome is AD being mildly successful in LA but the Pelicans ascending to greatness with Zion. If that happens, AD's legacy will always be trash. A great player who couldn't take NOLA to another level, who then bolts and watches another player take it to another level. He HAS to keep the Lakers better than the Pelicans for the remainder of his career to not be seen in that way by public perception.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

But see.... I think AD will get up for these games (with the Lakers) because he’s finally on a stage he WANTS to be on.
    I think he did great things here and I believe sadly we were an afterthought in the city. But at the end of the day AD not Chris Paul wanted to be in THIS small market.

But that’s ok at this point.
    We have a squad and they are young and motivated.
    NEW ORLEANS
    There is NO place like Home!

Thread Information