Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: N/P : Anyone following this NBA China situation?

N/P : Anyone following this NBA China situation?

Boy Daryl Morey opened up a can of worms. Wait till Anthony Davis finds out he has been censored in that country.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...of-adam-silver

The NBA should be embarrassed for bowing down to an authoritarian communist regime.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

China isn't communist, but yeah the NBA shouldnt throw their employees under the bus to satiate the whims of a handful of Chinese Billionaires.
    Basketball.

Damn South Park banned in China too!

I enjoyed my time in China. We visited a lot of big companies (Alibaba, Tencent, and a few others), but the impression that we all got was that people don’t really have the freedom’s that we are familiar with. It’s sad really.

What is sadder is American companies, and the NBA in general (who are quick to move an NBA Allstar game from Charlotte due to a bathroom ban) are staying quiet on these Human Rights violations in China, but they are quick to pull the trigger here in the state because they know that they won’t see financial blow back. Money moved everything around us.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Don’t expect Trump to make it better

Implications on the possible reduction in the salary cap on our team going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I enjoyed my time in China. We visited a lot of big companies (Alibaba, Tencent, and a few others), but the impression that we all got was that people don’t really have the freedom’s that we are familiar with. It’s sad really.

What is sadder is American companies, and the NBA in general (who are quick to move an NBA Allstar game from Charlotte due to a bathroom ban) are staying quiet on these Human Rights violations in China, but they are quick to pull the trigger here in the state because they know that they won’t see financial blow back. Money moved everything around us.
    This.

It's really lame to bow down to that.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Implications on the possible reduction in the salary cap on our team going forward?
    Funk salary cap ramifications. You can’t put a $ sign on freedom and not expect to get railroaded.

I ain’t having none of that, and neither should you.

I don't think we were expected to make big changes this offseason via room...trades (Moore? BI? Zo?) are the most likely way for us to add an impact player. Maybe makes it more likely to resign Favors at a decent number? Worst thing is the corresponding lowering of the luxury tax number (theoretically)...if this team is going to do what we all think/hope it will eventually do, we'll wind up in the tax--the longer we can delay that, the better (assuming Gayle doesn't go early vintage Cuban and just not care at all about spending).

N/P : Anyone following this NBA China situation?

I've read 10-15 percent reduction in the salary cap. Not sure how accurate that is. I think the real problem is there are a lot of players involved here. The response to China basically needs to be collectively bargained, as it will affect the bottom line for both players and owners. So the league can't go all Dirty Harry asking China if they feel lucky. The league and Adam Silver are taking the hit here because their image as a league is a progressive one, and now they are coming up against that image. I'm still trying to understand the implications but I think what I do get is that if we are all just now trying to understand the situation we have no right to be outraged. This money has been intertwined at least since Yao Ming brought us to the next level in international sponsorship and viewership. Get the players on board for potentially lower salaries, then stand your ground. I doubt franchises in smaller markets, similar to the Pels, have the room to take the hit on this.
    Last edited by RhythmNathan; 10-10-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Now I’m confused. If the China says these games do not exist why is there a presser? Why not let Harden and Westbrook answer the question?

https://deadspin.com/rockets-flack-t...r-s-1838944809
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 10-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Yeah this did not help the situation. Another PR nightmare for Rockets

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...s-14509193.php

During today's Houston Rockets media availability, a team representative inappropriately interjected to prevent CNN's Christina Macfarlane from receiving an answer to her questions," the statement said. "We've apologized to Ms. Macfarlane as this was inconsistent with how the NBA conducts media events."
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 10-10-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    China isn't communist
    Is this sarcasm? If not communist, what are they?

Just to clarify my question here, I'm genuinely curious because everything I can find about their government is that it's controlled by the Communist party of China after the takeover by Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Is this sarcasm? If not communist, what are they?

Just to clarify my question here, I'm genuinely curious because everything I can find about their government is that it's controlled by the Communist party of China after the takeover by Mao.
    It's controlled by the Communist Party, but the Party is communist in name only. China has done nothing to abolish the value form, which is pretty much the central tenet of communism in most readings, nor have they done anything to abolish wage labour, the managerial class, democratise the workplace, or anything else. China is, and has been since at least Deng Xiaoping, a state capitalist country.

When Marx wrote in The German Ideology that communism is ''the real movement that abolishes the present state of things'', he was talking about things such as mandatory wage labour, the class system, and the value form; that's what he spends the majority of Kapital discussing. It's a pretty clear guarantee that your country isn't a communist one if it has billionaires, a stock market, a class system, and a system of wage labour.

regardless of the ism.... they are holding muslims in concentration camps. they are credible sources of human organ harvesting. the social credit system. too many things about china are downright terrible.... and the hypocritical cancel culture doesn't give two craps about ACTUAL evil... they complain about "evil West" from a cocoon of safety while blatantly ignoring china, the middle east etc.

China is communist, and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise doesn’t know the difference between Venice, Italy and Venice, Louisiana.

They have a bustling economy which gives it the appearance of a capitalist economy, but every Chile business has a member of the government with a seat (or more) at the table. They play a shady game where nobody knows where money is coming or going. It’s a great country, but nobody can feel safe doing business with them.

As to their horrible horrible horrible human rights report card, that should be enough make anyone butthole pucker.

China is communist, and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise doesn’t know the difference between Venice, Italy and Venice, Louisiana.

They have a bustling economy which gives it the appearance of a capitalist economy, but every Chile business has a member of the government with a seat (or more) at the table. They play a shady game where nobody knows where money is coming or going. It’s a great country, but nobody can feel safe doing business with them.

As to their horrible horrible horrible human rights report card, that should be enough make anyone butthole pucker.
    There is no coherent definition of communism in there.

The fact is, communism isn't just a scare-word that applies to bad places. Whether you agree with the philosophy behind it or not, it is a coherent concept with requirements. China does not meet those requirements, ergo, China is not communist. That's pretty much all there is to it. China has a terrible, corrupt government that does horrible things: still not communist.

The US is also a corrupt country with a repulsive government that regularly does horrible things, but the US isn't communist either.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-10-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Was the NEP under Lenin communist? In a country ruled by a communist dictatorship, which stage of the dialectic makes you officially communist?
    From a standpoint of someone who's read a lot of Marx, and a lot about Marx, your statements don't really make sense. If you're correct, then there's never been a communist government. Ever.
    That's simply not true.

Please Chairman Mao, break it down for us. How is China not a communist country. Besides their business dealings being better than what my parents home country of Cuba has, they are exactly the same. You say something in about Xi “like calling him Winnie the Poo”.

Please proceed.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 10-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.

The problem with communism is that it ALWAYS starts out as communism and then once power is handed over it goes full on fascist or totalitarian. Then commies are able to say "but it's not REAL communism...." and technically they are right....but once that power is handed over, it will always lead in those directions.

And yes. Anyone looking at the hit to the NBA as a deterrent is just enabling atrocities. The NBA players REALLY can't take a 15% pay cut? That's really going hurt them so much? Owners will have to go bankrupt losing that 15%? Get real. Stand up to China. Stand up to the evil communism ALWAYS turns into.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    The problem with communism is that it ALWAYS starts out as communism and then once power is handed over it goes full on fascist or totalitarian. Then commies are able to say "but it's not REAL communism...." and technically they are right....but once that power is handed over, it will always lead in those directions.

And yes. Anyone looking at the hit to the NBA as a deterrent is just enabling atrocities. The NBA players REALLY can't take a 15% pay cut? That's really going hurt them so much? Owners will have to go bankrupt losing that 15%? Get real. Stand up to China. Stand up to the evil communism ALWAYS turns into.
    I was thinking the same thing, what’s a 10-15% pay cut to a guy making $40MM or $400M? End of the day it’s still a better living that 99% of the working stiffs.

Don’t run around playing social justice warrior only when it lines your pockets, and builds your brand. Play social justice warrior when it causes you to lose money, and pushes your brand to the limit. If you are going to be about that life, then be about that life.

I was thinking the same thing, what’s a 10-15% pay cut to a guy making $40MM or $400M? End of the day it’s still a better living that 99% of the working stiffs.

Don’t run around playing social justice warrior only when it lines your pockets, and builds your brand. Play social justice warrior when it causes you to lose money, and pushes your brand to the limit. If you are going to be about that life, then be about that life.
    Or just lie in your taxes like Trump does year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Or just lie in your taxes like Trump does year after year.
    Sure, why not? He will get popped for that too if it turns out to be true.

Thread Information