Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: October 9th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Chicago Bulls - 1-0

Pelicans October 9th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Chicago Bulls - 1-0

After a thrilling start to the pre-season with a dominant win over the up and coming Atlanta Hawks, we come to our second outing of the pre-season with a visit to Chicago.

The entire team had a pretty positive outing in our first game, with Zion showing off thunderous dunks, NAW using his limited minutes to showcase why he deserves regular season appearances, Ingram improving massively after halftime to turn a terrible night into quite a good one, and Jrue carving up the entire Atlanta defense in no time at all. Lonzo threw passes, and his reworked jumpshot actually looked pretty good, carrying him to a respectable 37.5% on the night: if he can keep that range up for a full season, that would be extremely impressive and very helpful.

Tonight we take on Chicago. I'm not going to try and dig out where they rank among all pre-season teams in pace or ORtg or something because the sample size of 1 game is not worth it. What I will do is discuss a few of their promising figures.

Chicago drafted Coby White this year, with the 7th overall pick, and he had a pretty rough outing in his first game against the Bucks. He put up 12 points, but only shot 30% from the floor, which isn't great. Still though, he's fast and difficult to defend due to that speed. Having lengthy, smart defenders like Lonzo and Jrue will help corral him.

In terms of front court, the Bulls started last game with a combination of Lauri Markkanen and Cristiano Felicio. Lauri is good, and has rim protection abilities as well as a solid three ball: he shot 50% on 8 attempts in the Bucks game, and finished with 14 and 5 in only 22 minutes. By comparison, Felicio is not good at all. He's big, and he's extremely limited in range so he's a big body that lives by the rim and therefore collects rebounds and tip ins, but he cannot defend in space whatsoever, is a poor passer with dreadful feel, and frankly should not be starting. Once the regular season comes around, I don't think he will be.

Zach Lavine can score.

As for our own team, here's the outlook:

Sounds like pretty much everyone is a full go, with minute's restrictions in mind. That makes sense: Zion was the only player to exceed 26 minutes last game, and even he only played 29. That's what we want in pre-season. Nobody should be playing more than about 25 minutes, 30 at an absolute push. If someone hits 35 minutes in a pre-season game, something is not right.

So, here we go again, taking on the Chicago Bulls! Next game up, the Pelicans come back to New Orleans and have their pre-season Home game, so hope everyone's excited for that too.

Let's go, get the win, and have fun! #WBD
    Basketball.

Ready for 10 minutes of Hayes tonight. I hope he settles down. He looked super uncomfortable Monday night and a bit antzy. Also, he looked kind of discouraged at times. I hope he keeps his head up and roll with the punches. We are really counting on him turning into something big in a couple of years. I know he didn't have his sight set on being on the end of the bench, but you got to fight for it like NAW is doing.

I know Hayes probably gonna hate his diet and gym routine. He's constantly gonna be sitting on a toilet and eating till he hates food.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ready for 10 minutes of Hayes tonight. I hope he settles down. He looked super uncomfortable Monday night and a bit antzy. Also, he looked kind of discouraged at times. I hope he keeps his head up and roll with the punches. We are really counting on him turning into something big in a couple of years. I know he didn't have his sight set on being on the end of the bench, but you got to fight for it like NAW is doing.

I know Hayes probably gonna hate his diet and gym routine. He's constantly gonna be sitting on a toilet and eating till he hates food.
    I'm hoping to see more of Hayes as well. He did look a bit antsy, but he did show several positive signs in the few minutes he got: that rebound he nearly ripped NAW's arm off to get was a sign of positive aggression on the glass, and that offensive board he caught and turned into a spin move for the layup was just obscene co-ordination for a 7 footer.

More than the fact that he was benched, I feel like what discouraged him was how the minutes got distributed. He literally didn't play until the final 5 minutes of the game despite us being up 20+ for the entire second half. Even NAW got 15 minutes, and we have way more guards than bigs. Favors didn't even play 10 minutes, and Hayes still didn't get the shot with Okafor essentially acting as starter. Hopefully that was just Gentry experimenting a bit with lineups (remember the Moore-at-point experiment in the first half? yuck) and Hayes will get more of a shot this game. Let him play some minutes with Jrue or Lonzo, people who can really set him up with opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    man naw is such a good shooter

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

hopefully no more Moore at point

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    hopefully no more Moore at point

Hopefully not. Confirming 25 minutes-ish for the starters again is fine, and I think it's the right choice, but in which combinations is the big question. Can't really allow a lineup like Moore-Redick-Hart to take the floor at the time same time. Absolutely no reliable ball handler in that trio of guards.

One of Lonzo, Jrue, and NAW should be on court all game long.

Hopefully not. Confirming 25 minutes-ish for the starters again is fine, and I think it's the right choice, but in which combinations is the big question. Can't really allow a lineup like Moore-Redick-Hart to take the floor at the time same time. Absolutely no reliable ball handler in that trio of guards.

One of Lonzo, Jrue, and NAW should be on court all game long.
    yeah replace Moore with naw I wanna see how those 3 work

Just a reminder from last game

This seems likely to me.

Just a reminder from last game

holy ******** that's hilarious

This seems likely to me.
    a hahaha another one

holy ******** that's hilarious
    More of basketball twitter talking about people taking charges from Zion

More of basketball twitter talking about people taking charges from Zion

okay wow these are ******** great. some of these need to be put on national TV lmao

okay wow these are ******** great. some of these need to be put on national TV lmao
    It's going to be great. Unfortunately, the Bulls don't really have anyone who is a great and dedicated rim protector without Wendell playing, nor do they have anyone who is a big charge-drawer, so we probably won't see a murder quite like that tonight.

On the plus side, Lebron's rate of charge-drawing has gone up dramatically as he's aged; his block rates have dropped and he's begun accepted more charges. He's now in the upper half of the league when it comes to drawing charges. And we all know AD can get block happy. So hopefully when we play LA, Lebron and AD will get put on posters.

It's going to be great. Unfortunately, the Bulls don't really have anyone who is a great and dedicated rim protector without Wendell playing, nor do they have anyone who is a big charge-drawer, so we probably won't see a murder quite like that tonight.

On the plus side, Lebron's rate of charge-drawing has gone up dramatically as he's aged; his block rates have dropped and he's begun accepted more charges. He's now in the upper half of the league when it comes to drawing charges. And we all know AD can get block happy. So hopefully when we play LA, Lebron and AD will get put on posters.
    well that info just got me extremely exited it almost be as satisfying seeing smitty take out blake Griffen lol

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    segment on the Zion Debut Tour has played a couple times, so far, on ESPN....nicely done...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Confirmed: the entire crew is starting

ESPN is all over Zion , it’s great !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirmed: the entire crew is starting
    you know if its on TV or?

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    ESPN is all over Zion , it’s great !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk