Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: October 5th - New Orleans Pelicans Open Practice - Preseason - 0-0

HAyes just ate dirt trying for the rebound. He seems fine, but ouch
    Basketball.

Jrue ----> Hayes alley-oop

Funny how little defense we've seen tonight after all the talk of it I get why, you don't want anyone injured in practice, you're just running plays and getting time on court together, but it's just funny.

Melli with a quick 5 points, hitting the three after taking someone off the dribble for the FT line jumper.

I thought we didn't have spacing?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Melli looks good..

Not a fan of that from Kenrich there. He had the 3 pointer available, Zylan was sagging off him, and he dribbled into a 20 footer. Not nice.

Zion was about to hit the between the legs dunk after the steal there. The crowd was revving up.

And he just didn't complete it come on man!

Man, stone hands there from Kavell Bigby Williams. That wasn't a legit foul. He was pretty bad through most of Summer League too.

ZION THROWING OOPS TO LONZO.

IT'S OVER.

zion to zo lob daaaaamn lol

NAW nails the nice catch and shoot jumper, good to see that.

Zion is like Lebron when he drives from the perimeter. It’s imoossibk to stop.

Zion is a baddddd man

Zion's missed so many ''almost-explosive'' dunks tonight

Reckless observations so far:

- Lonzo’s shooting form has returned to its previous iteration

- Zion is a menace on the offensive glass and is swallowing defensive rebounds as well

- Melli is a much bigger piece than anyone expected. He looks like the 4th-5th best player out there

- Cheatham has a ton of bounce

- Lonzo has immediate chemistry with Zion. Knows where he is on the court etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAW just hit a windmill hahahhaa

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    NAW just hit a windmill hahahhaa
    And nobody reacted cause it wasn’t zion

maaaan zion come on lol the guards are gonna have to work on those back board oops lmao

Zion’s handle is what impressed me the most honestly. Moved VERY well with the ball.

Zion is gonna get ALLLLOT of rebounds

this is awesome lmao

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Zion is just a fierce player. You can see the determination. Z-Train.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

So, immediate takeaways.

- Lonzo was shooting using his 'new' form earlier in the game, and his shot crept further and further left as the game continued. That's the issue with instituting new form: as fatigue sets in, muscle memory takes over again. Not a big issue, he just needs to keep working on it.

- Zion can out-rebound God Himself, and unless teams specifically plan to keep him away, he might average 4 offensive boards a game this year.

- Zion's ability to handle the ball is good enough that he can be allowed to run a couple of plays a game himself, especially in transition. Not a full time ball handler by any means, but a lot of promise there.

- Ingram didn't play that much, but he looked solid when he was in for the most part. Hit a nice three and made a nice entry pass to Jrue, but also completely airballed a lightly-contested 10 footer and spent a whole possession meandering in one spot rather than moving anywhere off-ball. So there's positives there and negatives.

- Hayes still looks shaky in half court defense. He was picking up guys fairly well in transition, and it doesn't help that nobody was providing any help defense (not a problem, it's just open practice, I don't expect much help defense yet haha) so he was always left trying to defend the rim from two places at once, but that's just the truth. Looked shaky.

- Hayes' offensive game got a lot of shine. He hit a midrange floater, a 3, made some passes from the post, had an alley oop in transition, just showing some nice versatility. Wish we had seen him more in the PnR or setting real screens, but still, very promising flashes from all around.

- Jrue did Jrue things but not for very long.

Given that this happened after the guys had already been drilling and stuff, and everyone was clearly a little gassed, there's a lot of positives totake from this. Can't really judge the defense too much because of the aforementioned injury thing, and also because the best defensive lineups we had were split up (Lonzo and Jrue on different teams, Favors didn't play at all, etc etc), but still, encouraging stuff.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    omg I turned it off and returned.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Zion’s handle is what impressed me the most honestly. Moved VERY well with the ball.
    He looked great. Not anywhere ready to be a full time ball handler or anything, but he can really handle ball in transition and maybe run through a few PnR's with Favors or pick and pop plays with Melli on the big-to-big plays. He has that capacity in him, his handle is impressive and ambidextrous.

Thread Information