Pelicans Report

Thread: Zion Williamson just got a little shorter

Zion Williamson just got a little shorter

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...=mmx&PC=EMMX20

"On Friday, Shams Charania reported that the NBA's new policy has resulted in some surprising information about the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA Draft. Zion Williamson, it turns out, isn't 6-foot-7 after all."

Surprised there are no comments here. I don’t think it matters, but judging by the amount of people here who thought he would measure closer to 6’9” or 10” based on those phots with Barrett I figured people would have something to say.

Either those photos were at a funky angle or Barrett is 6’2”.

I don’t think his height matters. He’s either going to be effective with his style of play or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the reason this thread hasn't got many posts in it is that there had already been a fairly detailed conversation about it in the Training Camp thread.

The conclusion was largely that it doesn't matter because barefoot height isn't that important, especially when you have the kind of athleticism that Zion does, and that he'll be fine.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    Surprised there are no comments here. I don’t think it matters, but judging by the amount of people here who thought he would measure closer to 6’9” or 10” based on those phots with Barrett I figured people would have something to say.

Either those photos were at a funky angle or Barrett is 6’2”.

I don’t think his height matters. He’s either going to be effective with his style of play or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Smart people know a couple things.

1. The heights you THINK guys are... they arent. Watch and see what Draymond comes in at. I am 6 5 and I am taller than him

2. This was taken without shoes. Which means that when he plays, he is closer to 6 8

So the issue here is that most people had a false sense of average heights and specific heights for players. If I would have told you he was an inch and a half taller than Draymond, you would have been happy. But that was when you took Draymonds height at face value.

Wait until you see all the official heights and THEN react to Zions height
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Smart people know a couple things.

1. The heights you THINK guys are... they arent. Watch and see what Draymond comes in at. I am 6 5 and I am taller than him

2. This was taken without shoes. Which means that when he plays, he is closer to 6 8

So the issue here is that most people had a false sense of average heights and specific heights for players. If I would have told you he was an inch and a half taller than Draymond, you would have been happy. But that was when you took Draymonds height at face value.

Wait until you see all the official heights and THEN react to Zions height
    Yea word around town Draymond 6-5

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Yea word around town Draymond 6-5
    Yep. Word so much around town that Draymond measured 6'5.75"" barefoot at his combine, and Steve Kerr told the media that he was only 6'5 back in 2017.

So yep, Zions a touch taller than Draymond Green, barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yep. Word so much around town that Draymond measured 6'5.75"" barefoot at his combine, and Steve Kerr told the media that he was only 6'5 back in 2017.

So yep, Zions a touch taller than Draymond Green, barefoot.
    It also means Bron is likely 6-7

And Michael Jordan was likely 6-3,barely 6-4

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    It also means Bron is likely 6-7

And Michael Jordan was likely 6-3,barely 6-4
    I think general consensus is that players lose around 2 inches barefoot compared to when they have shoes on.

I've heard that Jordan was a legit 6'6'', barefoot, but I cannot say how true that is. I haven't done a huge amount of research on that.

But yeah, Draymond is 6'5, Barkley is 6'4, Ben Wallace was listed at 6'8 so he was probably 6'6'' or something. Being 6'6'' is not gonna hurt Zion's chances of being good

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The fact that Zion's height came out first really irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The fact that Zion's height came out first really irks me.
    Even before Durant's, and people have been talking about Durant's height for like, 8 years. Weird

Has anybodys official heights been posted other than Zion yet?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Has anybodys official heights been posted other than Zion yet?
    A few.

The entire Sixer's roster, for example.

Lol at Ben Simmons being taller barefoot than Al Horford

Yeah Barkley and MJ are actually pretty darn close to the same height, I believe just a smidge under 6'5 without shoes.

Not surprised by Zion's measurement, as Lebron I think is around 6'7.5 shoeless, and Zion is pretty clearly smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Yeah Barkley and MJ are actually pretty darn close to the same height, I believe just a smidge under 6'5 without shoes.

Not surprised by Zion's measurement, as Lebron I think is around 6'7.5 shoeless, and Zion is pretty clearly smaller.
    Zion is "pretty clearly" smaller than Lebron? Based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Zion is "pretty clearly" smaller than Lebron? Based on what?
    Yeah I don't think I've ever actually seen Zion and Lebron next to each other.

Zion is almost certainly heavier than Lebron, has more physical mass. I don't think Lebron's ever been up at around 280lbs, and even if Zion's dropped to 265 or something that's still at the top end of Miami Bron, which was some years ago now.

Lebron is taller, sure, I think that's generally accepted, but I've never seen them next to each other to compare their overall size profiles.

Apparently some more heights.

All-Star
    does height matter anyway? reach and wingspan are the new height.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieHornet View Post
    does height matter anyway? reach and wingspan are the new height.
    Nope, it doesn't

Standing reach and wingspan are indeed better measurements (although funnily enough for Zion, we don't have official measurements for that either since he skipped the combine; ESPN's pre-draft stats listed his wingspan at 6'11.5'', and I think Duke listed it at 6'10'', so either way it's a + span) but even those aren't that important in the end.

Stats like height, standing reach, wingspan, etc, are mostly diagnostic tools. They tell you what someone's realistic ceiling is and what their skillset is likely to be. Someone with an absurd wingspan is likely to be a better defender, but suffer slightly as a shooter. Someone with a short wingspan, or even a negative one, is likely to struggle more as a defender against guys of similar size to them, but will probably have a more compact shooting stroke and quicker release. But at the end of the day, once a player has shown you what they can do, those measurables don't matter so much. If someone has a negative wingspan but somehow manages to guard much larger guys anyway, then that's something they can do regardless of the anthropometrics.

What matters to me is his vertical lift. I've seen videos with his head above and shoulders even with the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    What matters to me is his vertical lift. I've seen videos with his head above and shoulders even with the rim.
    He didn't take a combine measurement, but it's pretty sure that his max vert (in motion) is at least 40 inches, and probably more likely to be in the 45 inch territory. Which, yeah, is insane. And more important than just max vert is the fact that he can explode up to that height in almost no time at all; he's not like some players who need to plant both feet, really load up, and then spring for a jump. He just explodes from nothing into rim-grazing territory, and he can do it for the second jump as well. That's huge.

More than just the lift though is the control he seems to have during it. I know it's blasphemy to say it, but his hang-time on some layups is just Jordan-esque, and his ability to find angles to dunk from is basically Lebron level.

Hmm, I might actually not have had any real solid evidence to back up my assumption that Zion was shorter than Lebron. He just always looked that way to me, though definitely bulkier. Lebron has a powerful presence on the floor compared to most players. If Zion was the same height, he'd be a water buffalo! Here's hoping he keeps growing (though no biggie if he doesn't), as long as his ligaments and tendons are durable enough to last for a decent-length career with all that ridiculous explosive muscle mass. That is my main concern, that his connective tissue is the stuff of mortals trying to contain the physique of a demigod. I sincerely hope the medical/training staff is prioritizing yoga and flexibility for the sake of his career longevity.

Hmm, I might actually not have had any real solid evidence to back up my assumption that Zion was shorter than Lebron. He just always looked that way to me, though definitely bulkier. Lebron has a powerful presence on the floor compared to most players. If Zion was the same height, he'd be a water buffalo! Here's hoping he keeps growing (though no biggie if he doesn't), as long as his ligaments and tendons are durable enough to last for a decent-length career with all that ridiculous explosive muscle mass. That is my main concern, that his connective tissue is the stuff of mortals trying to contain the physique of a demigod. I sincerely hope the medical/training staff is prioritizing yoga and flexibility for the sake of his career longevity.
    You'll be glad to hear that both Zion in interviews and David Griffin on media day have talked about how they don't really have Zion lifting heavy weights and that their priorities are flexibility and core strength. Which is, I think, the right move. He doesn't need to build mass at this point, only to maintain it. Flexibility, core strength, these are the priorities at least for his rookie year.

Great to know!!!

Well I think we all know Zion is an inch or two shorter than LeBron, which visually won't amount to much. But size wise he's probably a bit bulkier than LeBron, so on TV or live he might look around the same size or slightly bigger.

This is a big dude despite all this senseless chatter about his official height.

Looks like people don’t care about height and weight. The man is a global icon.

Thread Information