Thread: Training Camp Begins

Training Camp Begins

Basketball.

wish we could get videos like they do for the saints

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    wish we could get videos like they do for the saints

There probably have been/will be some. I'll do a proper trawl through Twitter, Instagram, and the official Pels YouTube in a bit to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There probably have been/will be some. I'll do a proper trawl through Twitter, Instagram, and the official Pels YouTube in a bit to see.
    appreciate that man. still doesn't seem like we have enough local reporters for the team

Here's a first clip! Lonzos shot does look better. It's far from picture perfect but it's come a long way from its old, mangled state.

Another!

Wow his jumper looks so much better. Extremely glad he's fixed this so much. If his shot can be even league average, around 36%, that would improve all aspects of his offensive game so much, and make so much easier for other players.

that whole side shot hitch thing seems to be gone wow hope it actually stays that way in games

I don't even mind too much about him not shooting lights out in practice. The fixes in his form and release will pay dividends in the long run, even if the adjustment period is a little rough.

Kenny Hustle keeping the hustle on 11 in training camp

3 of 6 on shots in this little clip, but the form seemed consistent even through motion off the screen, which is nice to see. Obviously we'll need to see it in game before we really invest belief in it, but it's encouraging for sure.

Can't wait for open practice

I don't even mind too much about him not shooting lights out in practice. The fixes in his form and release will pay dividends in the long run, even if the adjustment period is a little rough.
    yeah when you've been doing something one way your whole life it will Def take some time to break the habit

She means business. I like it

yeah when you've been doing something one way your whole life it will Def take some time to break the habit

Yep. I read an article a while back, can't remember who by, but they worked as an NBA trainer and they were talking about the difficulties of really changing a shot. They were talking about how even small adjustments like the distance between the thumb and the index finger can take a few hundred practice shots to really settle into, so a BIG change like Lonzo is undergoing will never be an over-night process. Nobody is expecting him to shoot lights out this year, all year long. We just want his shot to look better in March than it does in October, and to show some improvement overall.

Of course, if he does shoot 40% on 6 threes a game, I won't complain

Yep. I read an article a while back, can't remember who by, but they worked as an NBA trainer and they were talking about the difficulties of really changing a shot. They were talking about how even small adjustments like the distance between the thumb and the index finger can take a few hundred practice shots to really settle into, so a BIG change like Lonzo is undergoing will never be an over-night process. Nobody is expecting him to shoot lights out this year, all year long. We just want his shot to look better in March than it does in October, and to show some improvement overall.

Of course, if he does shoot 40% on 6 threes a game, I won't complain
    yeah that's why I find it crazy when fans are all like it's not that hard just fix the shot uhh yeah it's not that easy and yeah I don't think any of us would be lol

yeah that's why I find it crazy when fans are all like it's not that hard just fix the shot uhh yeah it's not that easy and yeah I don't think any of us would be lol

Yeah, it's why I've said ever since the trade that I'm trying to have realistic expectations of expectation for Lonzo and Ingram. There have been people who told me that Ingram is going to shoot 39% (his career high in percentage) on like, 3 times as many threes as he's ever taken before. And maybe he does, but that's a BIG expectation to ask from someone who doesn't really take threes that often, and hasn't been that good at it overall in his career.

I will be very, very happy if Lonzo and Ingram are both dead average shooters this year, showing that progress. 35, or 36% is all I ask, because changing their shot, or changing their shooting profiles, is a big step to make in one summer: especially one summer that you spent most of it unable to practice due to injury.

Zion talking to Joel Myers and Antonio Daniels on SiriusXM NBA Radio.

What are your goals for this upcoming season?

''Come in, and have an immediate impact. For winning. I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't wanna be a part it, I wanna have an impact on that winning. And I feel like if I do that, I could possibly get Rookie of the Year.''

Have you talked to Coach Gentry about your role and responsibilities? I know they don't wanna put too much pressure on you too early.

''Yeah, we talked about it a bit. You know, I think sometimes with players you mess up, and coach will tell you one thing, but I feel like he can't give you a final conclusion until he sees you out there with the rest of the team. Because you might see yourself in one position but that might not be the position for you. For me, right now, he's just telling me to be myself, and if I get the rebound, just push it and make a play. I like that, and hopefully it can stay the same, and if not, then I'm fine with that.''

Great article on training camp day 1 from Scott Kushner here: https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...ign=user-share

And while there are ample areas for the 19-year old to eventually grow into his role, team captain Jrue Holiday mentioned there are plenty of attributes where it’s clear Williamson can help the Pelicans immediately.

His leaping ability and 285-pound frame make him an NBA-ready rebounder, and the quick first step makes him lethal when driving to the basket.

“Honestly man, he’s either going to go through you or you’re going to foul him and most of the time you’re going to foul him,” Holiday said. “Because he’s agile. He can really move for how big he is. So, again, he brings that to the table which is huge.

“And his IQ, which for someone who is so young and playing against vets at a position where there are pretty good players at that spot, I think he’s really ahead of his time.”
    “Today I think (Williamson) did well,” Holiday said. “I don’t he overthought anything. He asked questions. That’s not overthinking. Always ask questions. He doesn’t want to be wrong. That’s a great thing.

“Especially defensively, by asking questions and trying to know where you’re supposed to be and where you’re supposed to go. I think he did a great job today.”
    Love all of this. Great signs from Jrue as a leader, and great signs for Zion doing all of the right things and showing the abilities you would hope him to show early on. Things like his three point shot can be worked out, but if he's an NBA ready rebounder and can really drive early in his career, then he'll always have the ability to impact things on court. That goes double for being a smart, dedicated defender. Those are all things we knew he could do at college, and was actually historically great at, but it's always good to see it clicking among actual NBA players in practice, at least.

The larger theme, however, is the Pelicans don’t want Williamson to feel pressure to do too much on the court. Instead, they’re leaning on veterans like Holiday and JJ Redick to set an early tone, respectively opening their 11th and 14th training camps of their careers Tuesday.
    This is really the only thing that worries me a little. I know they keep saying they don't want Zion to do too much, and I understand that completely: nobody wants to bury him under pressure. But I just worry a little (and it's probably a useless worry) that by being so eager to keep him comfortable and inside a slow-growth curve, they might slow his progress. For example, he has extremely promising talents as a ball handler and initiator: I'm somewhat worried that by emphasising rebounding, putbacks, and defense, they might slow his progression as a ball handler when he could actually grow in that roll very quickly.

I'm probably just worrying for nothing, but I'd just hate to see a rookie season for Zion where he gets very little time to work on his on-ball game. He did enough of that at Duke

It’s week one. When do we get those official heights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    It’s week one. When do we get those official heights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...mp-per-report/

For years, NBA players have been notoriously picky about how certain details of their physiques have been listed. Specifically, they all have preferences when it comes to their height. Players like Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett have preferred to be listed below 7'0'', while shorter players like Allen Iverson have earned dubious 6'0'' height listings that don't hold up to much scrutiny. Teams and players have controlled such listings throughout NBA history, so they have been free to handle them as they've seen fit.

That's about to change. According to Marc Stein of The New York Times, the NBA has told teams that they must submit exact player heights and ages within the first week of training camp
    Sounds like by the end of the week.

Thread Information