Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kuzma injured already! Thank U Griff. For taking Ingram over Kuzma

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    If that happens absolutely.. I don't know enough about AD's injury history to weigh in on that matter with any confidence. But I do know its been an issue for him, to what degree I'll leave to you guys.

As currently constructed they might be able to tread water without AD in the line up due to injury. They'll definitely be in trouble without him. As would most teams in the NBA if they lost their best player.
    Obviously anything can happen, but Davis hasn't had much in the way of major injury for the last two seasons or so. I wouldn't be surprised if he got injured after a month, but I would be a little surprised if it was the kind of injury that made him miss more than a week or two.

What's almost guaranteed, though, is that he will miss about 10 games throughout the year that he technically starts, but like, falls over 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter and then disappears for the rest of the game. That'll happen with some regularity, if the last 7 years are anything to go by.

He might end up finishing the season with his ''games played'' at 70 or 75, but the reality is that only maybe 60 of those games will have been played with him active and present all game long. He'll miss maybe 10 due to actual injury, and then another 10 or 15 games he'll start but not finish.
    Basketball.

I'm going to keep this simple.. Collectively "trash" teams, are lottery bound, not playoff bound.
    So was the 2017-18 Cleveland team a ''good'' team, or was it a trash team with Lebron on it?

Simple enough question.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Obviously anything can happen, but Davis hasn't had much in the way of major injury for the last two seasons or so. I wouldn't be surprised if he got injured after a month, but I would be a little surprised if it was the kind of injury that made him miss more than a week or two.

What's almost guaranteed, though, is that he will miss about 10 games throughout the year that he technically starts, but like, falls over 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter and then disappears for the rest of the game. That'll happen with some regularity, if the last 7 years are anything to go by.

He might end up finishing the season with his ''games played'' at 70 or 75, but the reality is that only maybe 60 of those games will have been played with him active and present all game long. He'll miss maybe 10 due to actual injury, and then another 10 or 15 games he'll start but not finish.
    Thanks for shedding light on that.. If this holds true I think the Lakers will be more than satisfied, given their recent history with injury woes.

The Franchise
    So was the 2017-18 Cleveland team a ''good'' team, or was it a trash team with Lebron on it?

Simple enough question.
    Yes.. With two simple answers boss lol..

They were a trash team without Lebron.. But they had Lebron, who was apart of the team. Which means the team, collectively wasn't trash.

If we remove a key ingredient from a recipe, it becomes something other than what it ordinarily is as a whole yes? With your analogy this is what you've done essentially. The problem with doing so is that it doesn't represent reality.

Yes.. With two simple answers boss lol..

They were a trash team without Lebron.. But they had Lebron, who was apart of the team. Which means the team, collectively wasn't trash.

If we remove a key ingredient from a recipe, it becomes something other than what it ordinarily is as a whole yes? With your analogy this is what you've done essentially. The problem with doing so is that it doesn't represent reality.
    The problem is that the trash quality of that supporting cast has a tangible impact on the ceiling of the team overall. I don't think you'd go as far as to deny that making the team around Lebron and AD better would increase their chances of making the finals or winning the championship. I'm not sure, then, why you would seem to be so insistent on refusing the idea that making the team around them worse would have a tangible impact on their success as well.

If you put Jordan and Pippen on the 7 win Bobcats, do they win a ring? No, of course they don't. I don't think you would ever imply that they would.

So it stands to reason that there comes a point where the quality of the supporting cast is so poor that even the quality of the team's best pieces cannot realistically be expected to propel them to the highest heights. Maybe putting Jordan and Pippen on the 7 win Bobcats takes them from 7 wins to 30, but it doesn't turn them into a championship contender.

That's what I'm saying about this Lakers team. If you were to replace Lebron and AD with just average, replacement-level players, then this Lakers team would be in for 25 wins at best, and I don't really think anyone seriously disputes that. As a Pelicans fan, I can vouch for the fact that adding AD to your team makes them better, but doesn't necessarily add a HUGE number of raw wins: adding him to that team takes them from maybe 25 wins, to maybe 33. Adding Lebron, then, probably adds another 10. That means that this Lakers team will probably win somewhere between 40-45 games, which is possibly a playoff team, but also possibly not in this West, and is certainly not a top 4 seed.

Do you see what I mean? Yes, of course Lebron and AD are very good players, and having them on the roster does SOME work to elevate the floor of the team, but if the team is bad enough then nobody can save it. And whilst this year's Lakers supporting cast isn't on the level of that 7 win Bobcats squad, they are pretty damn woeful. Expecting home-court advantage in the playoffs, or a ring, from this Lakers team (as many Lakers fans do) is asinine. Just beyond absurd. I would be extremely, extremely surprised if they were to make the conference Finals, let alone the actual finals.

The Franchise
    "I'm not sure, then, why you would seem to be so insistent on refusing the idea that making the team around them worse would have a tangible impact on their success as well."

How did I communicate this to you?

"If you put Jordan and Pippen on the 7 win Bobcats, do they win a ring? No, of course they don't. I don't think you would ever imply that they would."

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about boss..

Here's what you're doing.. "That cake would be horrible if you made it without flour or icing".. The thing is.. the cake does have flour and icing. So the cake isn't horrible.

You're also introducing counter arguments to positions that weren't communicated by me. I've never said anything about the Lakers being a championship contender, that has nothing to do with what initiated our exchange. I'm only saying they aren't a trash/garbage team. Nothing more. In addition there are different types of fans, within every fanbase. I would say that the individuals on this board are a bit more sophisticated than your average Pels fan. Same could be said of posters on Laker boards. Many of us aren't expecting home-court advantage, or a championship, though neither are being ruled out.
    Last edited by Nichols; 09-28-2019 at 07:00 PM.

"I'm not sure, then, why you would seem to be so insistent on refusing the idea that making the team around them worse would have a tangible impact on their success as well."

How did I communicate this to you?
    I've said a bunch of times that the Lakers supporting cast is terrible and that this will dramatically limit their success and may even pull them out of the playoffs. You've repeatedly made arguments that essentially boil down to ''yeah maybe the supporting cast isn't great but they DO have Lebron and AD so they'll be fine.'' How is that not making the argument that the relative trash-ness of the supporting teammates won't tangibly impact their success?

Edit: After this point, I wrote a pretty long full-on response, but I'm essentially just putting an end to it. Stopping the back and forth, not worth the argument.

I think I've made my point very clearly through the last few pages, to the point that any good-faith reader can clearly see my point. Anything beyond this will either just be me re-treading it and Nichols pretending that he doesn't understand, or it will devolve into argument. Either way, I can't be bothered with it.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 09-28-2019 at 07:36 PM.

The Franchise
    I believe you are an astute basketball mind. You also have trouble with understanding positions that don't jive with yours. It seems to me that you intentionally misrepresent positions, then build counter arguments around those misrepresentations. Basically you are arguing against non existent takes.

You say.. " You've repeatedly made arguments that essentially boil down to ''yeah maybe the supporting cast isn't great but they DO have Lebron and AD so they'll be fine.''

What I've actually said repeatedly.. "I'm only saying they aren't a trash/garbage team. Nothing more."

And yes.. I agree, those reading this exchange can clearly see what you've attempted to do.

I've said a bunch of times that the Lakers supporting cast is terrible and that this will dramatically limit their success and may even pull them out of the playoffs. You've repeatedly made arguments that essentially boil down to ''yeah maybe the supporting cast isn't great but they DO have Lebron and AD so they'll be fine.'' How is that not making the argument that the relative trash-ness of the supporting teammates won't tangibly impact their success?

Edit: After this point, I wrote a pretty long full-on response, but I'm essentially just putting an end to it. Stopping the back and forth, not worth the argument.

I think I've made my point very clearly through the last few pages, to the point that any good-faith reader can clearly see my point. Anything beyond this will either just be me re-treading it and Nichols pretending that he doesn't understand, or it will devolve into argument. Either way, I can't be bothered with it.
    don't bother man he continuously talks in circles and pretends not to understand your point. just not worth it

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    I understood his point.. what are you talking about? There was nothing complex or nuanced expressed in it.

What you need to understand is not agreeing with someone doesn't mean you don't understand them. I wasn't the only one that disagreed with his "garbage" take.

It's okay if we disagree..

"If you take two of the best players off that team.. it's a garbage team"... Umm yea, that can be said for most teams. Here's a fact.. AD, and Bron play for the Lakers, which means they aren't a garbage team.

Creating hypotheticals in which we alter reality, so we can make a point that was bogus and hyperbolic to begin with is what was posted.

Thread Information