Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kuzma injured already! Thank U Griff. For taking Ingram over Kuzma

The Franchise
    I mean this with all due respect but it seems like you sometimes intentionally muddle the argument.

"55 wins and a ring sound realistic to you?"

Absolutely no one in here communicated this as an outcome.. You likened the Lakers to garbage, that's the point of contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I can't count the guy who, last season, shot more threes than Ingram ever has in a season at higher efficiency than Ingram ever has in a season? Weird.

Beverley takes more than 50% of his FG attempts from 3. His offensive game is, very much, centred around being a threat from outside.
    Again, you continually miss the point of Ingram in Gentry's system.

And as far as Beverly, how many absolute FG attempts we talking?

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I mean this with all due respect but it seems like you sometimes intentionally muddle the argument.

Absolutely no one in here communicated this as an outcome.. You likened the Lakers to garbage, that's the point of contention.
    Davis sign that extension yet? Is Dwight Howard’s contract with Lakers a guaranteed contract? Yep Lakers can cut him loose and pay him nothing if he becomes a pain. Everything fine and dandy? Yeah I think Clippers are more of a threat than the Lakers.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Davis sign that extension yet? Is Dwight Howard’s contract with Lakers a guaranteed contract? Yep Lakers can cut him loose and pay him nothing if he becomes a pain. Everything fine and dandy? Yeah I think Clippers are more of a threat than the Lakers.
    What do contracts have to do with the "Garbage" takes? We're discussing win expectations.. I'm saying they aren't an awful team, nothing more.

Weird, I could swear that the Lakers had communicated a championship as an outcome. So I'm judging them by their own prediction.

If you think that the Lakers are 40, maybe 45 win team that might make it in as the 5th seed if they have a good year, or something similar to that, then I agree with you.

I've said it multiple times.

The Lakers have THREE total above average players. If this roster had been put around AD and Lebron ANYWHERE outside of LA, except maybe Boston, that front office would be getting crucified on the daily. That roster, men 4 through 15, is BAD. Just bad. Terrible. They are extremely lucky they have arguably the GOAT plus a top 5 guy, because if they had even just two regular all-stars, they'd be a lottery team guaranteed.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Again, you continually miss the point of Ingram in Gentry's system.

And as far as Beverly, how many absolute FG attempts we talking?
    Last season, Beverley shot 282 threes at 39.7%, making a total of 112. Which is pretty respectable for a guy who is not an offensive lynchpin.

For comparison, Ingram made 31 threes last year, Curry made 354, and Jrue made 118. Just a couple of guys from throughout the spectrum to compare to, there.

I don't miss the point at all. I would not be surprised if Ingram took a bunch more threes in Gentry's system. I hope he does, and I hope he figures it out and starts making them at a high clip: it would help us, and his future, a lot. I'm just not into trying to make my player judgements through a crystal ball.

Last season, Beverley shot 282 threes at 39.7%, making a total of 112. Which is pretty respectable for a guy who is not an offensive lynchpin.
    Nah playa lol. Thats not what I asked. I asked how many FG attempts did Beverly average per game? Or just FG attempts total? He's a floor stretcher right?

And if you're not trying to judge future performance than what is the point? You dont buy a company's stock based on what happened last year.

Nah playa lol. Thats not what I asked. I asked how many FG attempts did Beverly average per game? Or just FG attempts total? He's a floor stretcher right?

And if you're not trying to judge future performance than what is the point? You dont buy a company's stock based on what happened last year.
    Like, you're aware that you can check this? You don't need me to tell you. The information is out there for free.

Patrick Beverley, in the year 2018-19, shot a grand total of 6.1 FGAs per game, with 3.6 of them being 3pt shots.

That's 477 total shots, with 282 of them being 3s. 194 made total, with 112 of those makes being 3s. The vast majority of his offense was from behind the three point line. His 3pAr was 59.1%, which is pretty significant. He's a floor stretcher, in the sense that you have to defend him at the three point line and you cannot just walk away from him or fail to close out on him or whatever because he will make them. He's not a floor stretcher in the JJ Redick/Klay Thompson sense, because his game doesn't involve the whole screen manipulation that theirs does. Not all floor stretches come equally, as Pelicans fans should well know given how we've been watching E'twaun Moore for multiple seasons now.

Also, please do not give investment advice if your investment advice includes the recommendation to not check the past performance of the company. That's horrible advice.

Like, you're aware that you can check this? You don't need me to tell you. The information is out there for free.

Patrick Beverley, in the year 2018-19, shot a grand total of 6.1 FGAs per game, with 3.6 of them being 3pt shots.

That's 477 total shots, with 282 of them being 3s. 194 made total, with 112 of those makes being 3s. The vast majority of his offense was from behind the three point line. His 3pAr was 59.1%, which is pretty significant. He's a floor stretcher, in the sense that you have to defend him at the three point line and you cannot just walk away from him or fail to close out on him or whatever because he will make them. He's not a floor stretcher in the JJ Redick/Klay Thompson sense, because his game doesn't involve the whole screen manipulation that theirs does. Not all floor stretches come equally, as Pelicans fans should well know given how we've been watching E'twaun Moore for multiple seasons now.

Also, please do not give investment advice if your investment advice includes the recommendation to not check the past performance of the company. That's horrible advice.
    Last comment first, your reading skills are.... I said, and you can read it again, you don't BUY a company's stock based on what happened last year.

And so he attempts 6 FG per game on average. He has some games wehre he blows up, but shooting 3s, or shooting the ball period, is not what his game is centered around...just like I said.

You leave him open whats he going to burn you for? Two 3s or 6 points? His volume just isnt enough for me to consider him a floor stretcher and thats looking FORWARD, especially sharing the court with high volume shooters like George and Leonard.

Against the Pelicans last year he scored 12, 8, and 3 points while attempting 2, 3, and 3 three point attempts making about 1 each game. Thats about what he does, and I'm sure he was left open from distance more than those numbers indicate.

His job on the floor is to be a dog and do the dirty work, not kill you from the 3 point line.

The Franchise
    Weird, I could swear that the Lakers had communicated a championship as an outcome. So I'm judging them by their own prediction.

If you think that the Lakers are 40, maybe 45 win team that might make it in as the 5th seed if they have a good year, or something similar to that, then I agree with you.

I've said it multiple times.

The Lakers have THREE total above average players. If this roster had been put around AD and Lebron ANYWHERE outside of LA, except maybe Boston, that front office would be getting crucified on the daily. That roster, men 4 through 15, is BAD. Just bad. Terrible. They are extremely lucky they have arguably the GOAT plus a top 5 guy, because if they had even just two regular all-stars, they'd be a lottery team guaranteed.
    I agree with about 90% of what you just said.. With that being said I only took issue with you saying they were a garbage team.. They aren't for two obvious reasons. I take issue with nothing other than that specific statement.

And so he attempts 6 FG per game on average. He has some games wehre he blows up, but shooting 3s, or shooting the ball period, is not what his game is centered around...just like I said.
    Tell me where I said his game was based around ''shooting the ball period''. I said his offensive game is based around his perimeter shooting. Which is obviously is. Everyone knows that he's considered a defense first player, but when it comes to evaluating his ability and output on offense it's his 3 point shooting which is most important and it's silly to act like his shooting threat has zero impact on a defense.

You leave him open whats he going to burn you for? Two 3s or 6 points? His volume just isnt enough for me to consider him a floor stretcher and thats looking FORWARD, especially sharing the court with high volume shooters like George and Leonard.
    You're right, 6 points never matters. Games are never won or lost by margins of less than 6 points. Letting a 39.7% three point shooter get open threes on you is fine, and definitely the kind of thing that you don't bother defending. Thank you for the help, you've been very insightful.

Tell me where I said his game was based around ''shooting the ball period''. I said his offensive game is based around his perimeter shooting. Which is obviously is. Everyone knows that he's considered a defense first player, but when it comes to evaluating his ability and output on offense it's his 3 point shooting which is most important and it's silly to act like his shooting threat has zero impact on a defense.
    Is this you misreading "buy" for "check" again? Never said his shooting has zero impact on a defense. I am clearly saying it doesn't have nearly the impact as you make it out to be, because he simply does not shoot very much at all.

Done going back and forth on this, which seems to be your forte. Nighty night.

Is this you misreading "buy" for "check" again? Never said his shooting has zero impact on a defense. I am clearly saying it doesn't have nearly the impact as you make it out to be, because he simply does not shoot very much at all.

Done going back and forth on this, which seems to be your forte. Nighty night.
    If you shoot 39.7% from 3 and take around 4 a game, you're shooting enough that an opposing defense has to take account of you.

Sorry if you struggle with that concept. Good night.

If you shoot 39.7% from 3 and take around 4 a game, you're shooting enough that an opposing defense has to take account of you.

Sorry if you struggle with that concept. Good night.
    Since you dont want to be precise, he makes around 1 per game. Thats what stats tend to do on low volumes. Later.

Since you dont want to be precise, he makes around 1 per game. Thats what stats tend to do on low volumes. Later.
    You should hit up Bzdelik for this season

What do contracts have to do with the "Garbage" takes? We're discussing win expectations.. I'm saying they aren't an awful team, nothing more.
    But is it what Davis originally signed up for? Is it really any different what he had here?

Contracts have a whole lot to do. Dwight goes knucklehead that can cut ties completely on that non-guaranteed contract. That relationship with Rondo is something to watch. Secondly Davis has not signed that long term contract yet which pretty much means he can bolt if the Lakers flatline again. Remember he signed with the Lakers expecting Leonard. On that note

Last edited by 13 - 3; 09-28-2019 at 01:09 AM.

The Franchise
    Your supporting arguments make sense to me.. They just have nothing to do with what my point of contention was.

Again.. We were discussing how well the team might fair once the season starts. We're talking about on court play boss. Within that context, I don't believe they are a garbage squad.. That is all I'm saying.

Basketball Guru
    Your supporting arguments make sense to me.. They just have nothing to do with what my point of contention was.

Again.. We were discussing how well the team might fair once the season starts. We're talking about on court play boss. Within that context, I don't believe they are a garbage squad.. That is all I'm saying.

a team with lebron and AD on it is not a garbage team....AD,,howard and mcgee will make it hard for teams to score inside or close around the paint and as a team they will make the playoffs.....now you have to remember where you are at and some posters on this board just cant be honest about the lakers and houston....

The reason I say that the Lakers team is garbage is simple, and people misrepresenting it doesn't actually make it incorrect.

If you were to take ANY other team in the NBA and place 2 all-stars on it, and then fill out the rest of the roster will players of the calibre that LA has, everyone would accept that that team was garbage.

I'm pretty confident that nobody would deny that a team with that supporting cast was woefully constructed, lacking talent, lacking depth, lacking quality pieces that fit together.

But because it's LA, and because those two allstars are Lebron and AD, people are acting like this supporting cast is actually just fine. It's not. It still sucks. This team, overall, is still trash. Now, it's trash that MIGHT make the playoffs as long as neither Lebron and AD get injured, because Lebron and AD are both incredible players, but that doesn't change the fact that it's trash. Lebron carried that CLE team to the finals a handful of seasons ago, and that CLE team was trash too. That's the power of a player of Lebron's calibre.

Remove the Lakers blinkers, and ask yourself: outside of Lebron and AD, what is the overall quality of this roster?

- Kyle Kuzma
    - Danny Green
    - Dwight Howard (2019)
    - Javale McGee
    - Rajon Rondo
    - Quinn Cook
    - Jared Dudley
    - Talen Horton-Tucker
    - Alex Caruso
    - Troy Daniels
    - Avery Bradley (2019)

If you're about to tell me that that team isn't awful, then you're gonna have to explain why, because I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    a team with lebron and AD on it is not a garbage team....AD,,howard and mcgee will make it hard for teams to score inside or close around the paint and as a team they will make the playoffs.....now you have to remember where you are at and some posters on this board just cant be honest about the lakers and houston....
    You also need to factor Davis has been injury prone. This Lakers lineup he has is not better than Houston’s or the Clippers.

Davis stays healthy for one month then gets injured. My Prediction. The Lakers are crab meat.

The Franchise
    The reason I say that the Lakers team is garbage is simple, and people misrepresenting it doesn't actually make it incorrect.

If you were to take ANY other team in the NBA and place 2 all-stars on it, and then fill out the rest of the roster will players of the calibre that LA has, everyone would accept that that team was garbage.

I'm pretty confident that nobody would deny that a team with that supporting cast was woefully constructed, lacking talent, lacking depth, lacking quality pieces that fit together.

But because it's LA, and because those two allstars are Lebron and AD, people are acting like this supporting cast is actually just fine. It's not. It still sucks. This team, overall, is still trash. Now, it's trash that MIGHT make the playoffs as long as neither Lebron and AD get injured, because Lebron and AD are both incredible players, but that doesn't change the fact that it's trash. Lebron carried that CLE team to the finals a handful of seasons ago, and that CLE team was trash too. That's the power of a player of Lebron's calibre.

Remove the Lakers blinkers, and ask yourself: outside of Lebron and AD, what is the overall quality of this roster?

- Kyle Kuzma
    - Danny Green
    - Dwight Howard (2019)
    - Javale McGee
    - Rajon Rondo
    - Quinn Cook
    - Jared Dudley
    - Talen Horton-Tucker
    - Alex Caruso
    - Troy Daniels
    - Avery Bradley (2019)

If you're about to tell me that that team isn't awful, then you're gonna have to explain why, because I just don't see it.
    I'm going to keep this simple.. Collectively "trash" teams, are lottery bound, not playoff bound.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Good point, I was just expecting some objectivity.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Davis stays healthy for one month then gets injured. My Prediction. The Lakers are crab meat.
    If that happens absolutely.. I don't know enough about AD's injury history to weigh in on that matter with any confidence. But I do know its been an issue for him, to what degree I'll leave to you guys.

As currently constructed they might be able to tread water without AD in the line up due to injury. They'll definitely be in trouble without him. As would most teams in the NBA if they lost their best player.

Thread Information