Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Didi in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Apparently my averages were a bit off, because the King's played a game against the New Zealand Breakers that I somehow completely missed. Not sure how that happened, I follow the Kings on twitter, as well as the NBL, and Didi, and it just never came across my feed.

Anyway, apparently Didi had a rougher night on that game, shooting only 2 for 13 (I think thats the number), but even considering that, Didi is still shooting nearly 50% from the floor and 56% from 3. Still overall very good work.

Ben Pfiefer wrote up an article on the Bird Writes which is pretty good, contains a lot of clips and video footage of Didi playing. Highlights strengths, weaknesses, and also gave me the heads up about the Breakers game I missed.
    I was at that game actually, he didn't have the best sshooting night, but his defence was still solid and he still played most of the game.
    English is still developing, I said hi to him and took a couple photos, but he's looking good at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I was at that game actually, he didn't have the best sshooting night, but his defence was still solid and he still played most of the game.
    English is still developing, I said hi to him and took a couple photos, but he's looking good at the moment.
    that's what we need if he's having an off shooting night he's still valuable bc of defense and it's probably his most underrated skill

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    That's awesome! Glad to hear that his overall floor game is still looking good even when the shot isn't falling. Obviously some nights the shot just doesn't fall, no matter how good you are as a shooter, and it's what you can do on those nights that really defines your role in the NBA.

Glad to hear he was nice enough to stop for some photos and stuff though, that's cool.
    Basketball.

That's awesome! Glad to hear that his overall floor game is still looking good even when the shot isn't falling. Obviously some nights the shot just doesn't fall, no matter how good you are as a shooter, and it's what you can do on those nights that really defines your role in the NBA.

Glad to hear he was nice enough to stop for some photos and stuff though, that's cool.
    I pictured him as a 3 and do player so I was curious as to how he would be in the NBL. Was beasting tho, it was the offence that surprised me.

Didi is currently playing against the New Zealand Breakers. I'll update occasionally as stuff happens. 1 quarter down:

I happened to be up and watched most of the game. He had 8 points (2-12 shooting), 7 boards, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 0 fouls, steals or blocks.

The good:
    His defensive effort was there. He boxed out and made it difficult for his mark. He defended 2s and 3s. Most of the time, he was on this guy Corey Webster, who looked like their best pick-and-roll wing at that level. He fights hard to get through screens and generally does a good job trailing and contesting. This guy he was defending took a fair number of tough midrange jumpers, and made several of them (21 points on 20 shots).
    He didn't foul at all, which was notable as he was on ball defensively a lot.

Towards the end of the game he had some really nice sequences denying the ball to his man which made it hard for them to initiate offense and a nice possession where he switched onto 3 different guys in succession.

He did a good job boxing out and rebounding and finished with 7 boards.

He didn't do anything stupid or take any bad shots.

He physically looked like the most athletic guy on the floor, which he should. He was also really physical creating space on drives and got to the rim several times. He got a couple of at rim looks as well as a kick-out assist posting up a shorter guard.

I hate single-game plus minus, but FWIW, he was +16, which was the best on either team.

The bad:
    He had a terrible shooting night (2/12 from the floor, 0/4 from 3). He missed several at-rim looks including a dunk, the 3s were shots you want him to take but not wide-open. His handle remains limited and he is more a guy who drives on closeouts or transition than a guy running the P&R. He plays within his limitations. He wasn't treated as a nonshooter but New Zealand, but his teammates definitely weren't looking for him as the game went on.

The 3 point shooting will even out, I'm not really worried about that. His misses generally look good and two of his 3s went halfway down before popping ouy

His off-ball defense didn't pop either in a good or bad way and he didn't force any turnovers. He was however on-ball defensively a lot.

The ugly:
    I worry about his touch at the rim. I've seen a couple beautiful finishes, but this is the second or third time I've watched him and thought he is remarkably bad at layups.

On a side note, this was the first I've seen of RJ Hampton and was not impressed. He looks slight and, kind of concerningly, does not stand out as an athlete in this setting. He is long and smooth, but given his athletic profiile he will need to be exceptionally skilled to succeed in the NBA, and he looks a couple of years away. His body and demeanor remind me a lot of Jeremy Lamb or Malik Monk.

Shout outs to Bias! I couldn't watch it due to being busy and also not having any clue how to watch AUS ball, but his write up is really good

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    On a side note, this was the first I've seen of RJ Hampton and was not impressed. He looks slight and, kind of concerningly, does not stand out as an athlete in this setting. He is long and smooth, but given his athletic profiile he will need to be exceptionally skilled to succeed in the NBA, and he looks a couple of years away. His body and demeanor remind me a lot of Jeremy Lamb or Malik Monk.
    Most draft experts/analysts I follow seem to hold the same opinion. General consensus from big outlets like ESPN has him higher, but most of the analysts I trust have Hampton as guy who goes somewhere between 15 and 25 in the draft, not a top 10 guy.

Shout outs to Bias! I couldn't watch it due to being busy and also not having any clue how to watch AUS ball, but his write up is really good
    Thanks.
    Not sure if they always are, but they streamed this game on Facebook. Actually a nice quality stream.

I was at the game . He looked better than his box score . Defs a lot of rust and looked a bit lost . But showed nice flashes , he did one move where he did a rondo behind the back pass fake and then went up for the dunk through traffic but missed the slam
    Balled bounced in and out . Was unreal to see

2 blocks for Didi. Love the way he mirrors the offensive action, that's good instinct and feel there.

Didi finished with 11 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, and the blocks posted ^^^^^^

https://nbl.com.au/tv/

I think it's only about $5 AUS a month so it's cheap as chips.

Watched Didi this morning on TV, got blocked a fair few times but did a few nice things

Here we go! AUSBall time

Didi playing now. Has a dunk early

Didi heating up with a sweet pull up jumper and a three.

Misses a half court heave at the half time buzzer. Has 9 points.
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-02-2019 at 04:53 AM.

Didi's statline from this game.

God man I can not wait to see him next year but who's place does he take?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

This does create sort of a good issue for us. If Didi ends up as good as he's looking now in the NBA then our 1-3 position is super stacked.

Jrue, Lonzo, Ingram, Jackson, NAW, Hart, Reddick, Kendrich, Didi.

There's just no way they all get minutes and they're all deserving. I think we are going to end up having to trade someone or multiple people. The question comes out though so to what do we trade for?

Thread Information