Pelicans Report

Thread: Zion Unveils New Jordan XXXIV

Zion Unveils New Jordan XXXIV

Given that Zion is now signed to Jordan and won't have a signature shoe for at least a little while, it's fairly safe to say that whatever it is that Jordan ended up putting out as the 34 would be the shoe Zion wears for the bulk of the season. Well, now it's released and we know what it will look like.

What do you guys think? Personally, I kinda like it. I get that it's not for everyone and I can see why someone wouldn't be a fan, but I think it's pretty cool. Not my favourite Jordan, but I prefer it to some of the other recent models, particularly those awful Westbrook's from a few seasons back.

Zion's been out there at the unveiling, showing off some dunks in them. They look pretty cool on foot, I think.

Basketball.

Couple more close ups, a few different colours.

what's up with the mesh looks weird

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    what's up with the mesh looks weird

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    I kinda like it. According to sneakernews.com, the design process apparently ''focused on a reductive approach, stripping away unnecessary parts of the shoe while ensuring the utmost in performance.'' That might explain the transparency of the mesh on the sides of the foot: those are areas where the shoe probably experiences least stress, and therefore doesn't need as much internal padding. That may also improve breathability. If I remember correctly, Wade had a signature shoe in the past with similar semi-transparent mesh sections on the sides as well.

Further info: ''The cored out unit features thick Zoom cushioning at the forefoot and the heel, with the Eclipse Plate – an evolved form of the Flight Speed plate from the Air Jordan 28 – providing a piston-like springiness for the high-flying aerial attacks to the rim [...] The Air Jordan 34 is already one of the lightest basketball shoes ever created by Jordan. Clocking in at 13.1 ounces for a men’s size 9, the Air Jordan 34 needed proper traction to ensure precision cuts and jumps. The herringbone traction is a rather classic pattern (why mess with what works), with circular windows revealing the Zoom cushioning.''

I like a lot of this. Obviously it matters how thick ''thick'' is, but Zoom in the forefoot and the heel is always good, rather than restricting it to simply the heel. Zion wore a lot of Kyrie's in college, and those things just have zero cushion: for a guy of his size, I'm much more comfortable with him wearing something with some real cushion down there.

Lightness is always good. Obviously you have to have a certain amount of weight for stability and strength, but you always want the lightest shoe possible for the strength you need: if these things are robust, then I like it. And I have to assume they are robust: Nike has already had one scandal with Zion's shoes exploding, I doubt they want another.

Herringbone traction is good, nothing special there but it's good.

https://sneakernews.com/2019/09/07/a...-release-date/ All this info comes from here. There's some design documents included there, as well as some more promotional pictures which are interesting to look at. The design docs show the Zoom units being pretty large in terms of area, but I'm hoping they're a good thickness too. Will need to wait and see on that one.

Thread Information