Pelicans Report

Thread: New Orleans Pelicans forward Darius Miller is expected to miss seven to eight months

Pelicans New Orleans Pelicans forward Darius Miller is expected to miss seven to eight months

Tore his damn achilles.

Here comes Joe Johnson

Basketball Guru
    i guess adding him in a trade is out of the question now?.....and we are weak at SF and i guess moore will be back playing backup SF....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i guess adding him in a trade is out of the question now?.....and we are weak at SF and i guess moore will be back playing backup SF....
    Nah, as far as I'm aware he can still be moved. Remember how we traded Pondexter despite him being Injured Forever?

Also, we still have Ingram who would be the primary SF anyway, and if the rumours end up coming true, then we may have Joe Johnson to soak up minutes there as well. And that's ignoring the fact that we would sometimes play small ball lineups anyway, the fact that Zion will probably get some minutes at the SF spot, and that Melli might well get some SF spots sometimes particularly on offense.

We'll be fine. Miller isn't a make or break guy. Obviously injuries suck and we hate them, but if I had to pick a member of the squad to get injured, Miller wouldn't be the worst choice.
    Basketball.

You still only get 15 roster spots.
    Is 7 months enough for the injury exception?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You still only get 15 roster spots.
    Is 7 months enough for the injury exception?
    If league doctors judge that it is probable for him to miss the entire regular season (which it could, 7 months takes us to March, and that's a fairly short estimate: it could easily be 8 or 9 months instead) then yeah, you qualify for the DPE which grants you half of the player's salary. In this case, that would be a little over $3.5m

Feel bad for the guy...tough injury. But i think well be fine and hopefully he can be fully recovered this time next year.

Obviously, this sucks for Miller. Glad he got paid, this contract was life-changing money for him.

I think it would make sense to apply for the exception, but only use it if guys get bought out and/or if there is an uneven trade later on that opens a roster spot. We would have until March to spend it.

I think Kenrich Williams is a more valuable player right now for winning basketball as an end-of-roster guy than anyone available currently as a free agent. He is very low usage, is a strong rebounder, passer and team defender who can defend 3s and 4s, and plays really hard. Kenrich last year was much better than Joe Johnson was in 2018—he looked washed last time he was in an NBA situation. But it would be good to have the option to spend more than the minimum if we have a particular need emerge as the year goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    Obviously, this sucks for Miller. Glad he got paid, this contract was life-changing money for him.

I think it would make sense to apply for the exception, but only use it if guys get bought out and/or if there is an uneven trade later on that opens a roster spot. We would have until March to spend it.

I think Kenrich Williams is a more valuable player right now for winning basketball as an end-of-roster guy than anyone available currently as a free agent. He is very low usage, is a strong rebounder, passer and team defender who can defend 3s and 4s, and plays really hard. Kenrich last year was much better than Joe Johnson was in 2018—he looked washed last time he was in an NBA situation. But it would be good to have the option to spend more than the minimum if we have a particular need emerge as the year goes on.
    Yeah, I'd be happy to just feed more minutes into Kenrich as well. His shot was streaky last year, and in Summer League as well, but he had stretches where he shot pretty well, and like you said he does pretty much everything else to a solid degree. Hustles like a mad-man.

#PELSLIFE

It was all going a bit too well wasn't it

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It was all going a bit too well wasn't it
    Gotta get brought back down to Earth in some way or another.

Thread Information