Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans very interested in Joe Johnson?

Pelicans very interested in Joe Johnson?

https://clutchpoints.com/pelicans-ne...d-joe-johnson/

Already posted in the Free Agent thread, but I guess maybe it deserves its own thread.

There doesn't actually appear to be any legs to this story, but Spears reported it, so there it is. David Griffin and Alvin Gentry, who both work in New Orleans as professional basketball staff, attended a basketball game in New Orleans, and had a picture taken with Joe Johnson. Somehow that apparently means that we're very interested in him. The definition of ''very interested'' appears to mean ''stood within 10 feet of'', these days.

Don't expect much to come of this, I'd say. We don't have the roster space, we don't have the money, and Johnson doesn't fit our style anyway since he's an isolation heavy pure scorer and not much more than that.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Already posted in the Free Agent thread, but I guess maybe it deserves its own thread.

There doesn't actually appear to be any legs to this story, but Spears reported it, so there it is. David Griffin and Alvin Gentry, who both work in New Orleans as professional basketball staff, attended a basketball game in New Orleans, and had a picture taken with Joe Johnson. Somehow that apparently means that we're very interested in him. The definition of ''very interested'' appears to mean ''stood within 10 feet of'', these days.

Don't expect much to come of this, I'd say. We don't have the roster space, we don't have the money, and Johnson doesn't fit our style anyway since he's an isolation heavy pure scorer and not much more than that.

I do believe they know each other from PHX days. So there is a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I do believe they know each other from PHX days. So there is a connection.
    I mean, sure, which explains why they're friends and why they'd take pictures with him and stuff. I'm giving Griff the credit of thinking he's not stupid enough to cut players and try to gather salary up to sign someone who doesn't fit the team just because they worked together a decade ago, though.

At least he is getting looks. Sucks to be Melo right now.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I want him on this team. I want him to have tons of chances to challenge Zion's defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I want him on this team. I want him to have tons of chances to challenge Zion's defense.
    Who do we cut, and how do we get the money? Cause that's the real question.

Also, there's pretty frequent reports that Joe was unhappy with his role in Houston because he wasn't playing enough. So where do we find him 20 minutes a night, as an isolation scorer?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    ISO Joe would have to backup Ingram at SF. I don’t think he’d like that... and who do we cut? Can they move a player for picks and cash? Kenrich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This feels like the same people who were calling for us to sign Melo have now just moved on to the next over the hill known name.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    ISO Joe would have to backup Ingram at SF. I don’t think he’d like that... and who do we cut? Can they move a player for picks and cash? Kenrich?

Joe Johnson is not getting a starting gig anywhere, so he would have to be happy with a backup role wherever he goes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

This might be why we're looking at Joe Johnson.

Well now this makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

This might be why we're looking at Joe Johnson.
    Well the contract we gave Miller sure looks silly now.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Well the contract we gave Miller sure looks silly now.
    Does he still count against cap?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Does he still count against cap?

For one season I think. Second season is non-guaranteed.

Yeah, Miller's injury suddenly makes the Iso Joe thing look for more plausible.

It's a huge shame. As much as we all know Miller was a limited player, that's unquestionable really, he was a capable three point shooter who could stretch the floor a little, didn't demand too much, and who could be trusted to play his role without issue. On a team like ours, which is thin around that forward position, and is relatively thin on high quality shooting too, that's a big loss.

Melo still available too.

Yeah, Miller's injury suddenly makes the Iso Joe thing look for more plausible.

It's a huge shame. As much as we all know Miller was a limited player, that's unquestionable really, he was a capable three point shooter who could stretch the floor a little, didn't demand too much, and who could be trusted to play his role without issue. On a team like ours, which is thin around that forward position, and is relatively thin on high quality shooting too, that's a big loss.
    It is a shame, but I wonder if he is eligible for the stretch provision?

Darius will be back by April or so. Is that too late? Folks are acting as if he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    It is a shame, but I wonder if he is eligible for the stretch provision?
    There is no point in stretching him if only one year is guaranteed. We aren’t in 100% win now mode. We will sign an el cheap o option and take the L. Get well soon Darius. Hopefully he gets another contract elsewhere because an achilles injury is killer.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    There is no point in stretching him if only one year is guaranteed. We aren’t in 100% win now mode. We will sign an el cheap o option and take the L. Get well soon Darius. Hopefully he gets another contract elsewhere because an achilles injury is killer.
    Darius isn't an explosive athlete or anything he'll be fine. He'll be more of a spot-up guy, which may benefit him.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Darius isn't an explosive athlete or anything he'll be fine. He'll be more of a spot-up guy, which may benefit him.
    Same thing everyone said about Boogie...it's hard enough to make it in this league as it is, let alone as a fringe-y player who's (theoretically) lost a step or two.

Who do we cut, and how do we get the money? Cause that's the real question.

Also, there's pretty frequent reports that Joe was unhappy with his role in Houston because he wasn't playing enough. So where do we find him 20 minutes a night, as an isolation scorer?
    Why do we think Joe Johnson would require any money over the minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Why do we think Joe Johnson would require any money over the minimum?
    We don't.

We just also don't have the money for the 10 year vet min.

Thread Information