Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So it has come down to this for the Lakers

So it has come down to this for the Lakers

Just wait until they remember we own their picks for the next half decade for what will essentially be a one-year rental.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    This pretty much sums up the Lakers off season.

I gotta say, I love the idea of a locker room containing both Rajon Rondo and Dwight Howard.

That would be like a sitcom.
    Basketball.

If they add JR Smith that would be icing on the cake.

Starting to get disappointed we don't have exposure to their pick this coming year.

I would actually like to note, by the way, that while Dwight Howard is far removed from his days as a top 10 player, he's still actually not as horrible as a lot of people see him. Yes, his game is antiquated and that limits him a bunch, and yes, he's no longer the top tier rim protector he was in 2008, but I don't actually think he's a bottom tier trashbag like some do.

The Lakers have very few options. Picking up Dwight wouldn't be the world's worst move from an on-court perspective. The trouble is the optics and the locker room situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Starting to get disappointed we don't have exposure to their pick this coming year.
    That's okay. If the year goes badly enough, AD won't stay in Los Angeles. Then the Lakers will continue to be a dumpster fire for the next several seasons, setting us up nicely for lottery picks from the Lakers for the subsequent few years.

The locker room is on bad game away from a Chernobyl like meltdown where AD pulls a cheek muscle and has to sit out half the season before signing with the Clippers.

OR, Lebron gets injured again, and AD realizes he doesn't want to hitch his wagon to a team with an aging superstar with no future draft picks and an idiot GM and owner where every single fan thinks you and the team are a complete failure every year you don't win a championship.

(basically, the complete opposite of what the Pelicans are, I just realized XD )

Wow, Davis going to playing for AARP

I would firs of all like to thank AD for all his contributions to our present and future draft classes! We couldn't have done it with you buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Yeah, we don't want a total implosion just a partial meltdown.

Woj now says they are interested in Joakim Noah

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Woj now says they are interested in Joakim Noah

LMAO
    Would rather have Noah than Dwight, to be honest.

He doesn't really like Lebron though, so I don't think he'd be interested.

The issue has always been there. It's just that now that AD is a Laker, it's being discussed on a national level. Even though the numbers scream that he's a monster playing the 5, he hates it. He only did it on New Orleans because it was kind of a necessity, and even then Emeka was the starter for a period. He hates the physical nature that comes with it, and guys like Embiid tend to take his lunch money when he's matched up with him.

To think they gave away Zubac just to create a small amount of cap room.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    To think they gave away Zubac just to create a small amount of cap room.
    Don't remind me. Every one of us was going nuts at how stupid that was, while our old general Jerry West was laughing at us the whole time. Just another thing that made me reassess why I was still a fan of this team. Still like Kuzma though.

The thing with AD is, he doesn't even care if he is technically playing the 5, as long as he's nominally the 4.

It's weird. In 2017-18, he played over 600 minutes as the clear centre. I'm talking about him playing in lineups that looked like Rondo/Jrue/Moore/Cunningham/AD, for example.

Then, in 2018-19, even if you assume Mirotic was the centre (which he wasn't), AD spent over another 500 minutes as the centre.

For AD, he doesn't seem to actually care if you roll him out with a guy like Randle, who is clearly not a 'real' centre in anything other than occasional small-ball spots, as long as Randle gets called the centre and AD can get called the power forward. It's super strange, but his reticence towards the position is largely one of name instead of role.

The NBA needs their own version of Hard Knocks

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's super strange, but his reticence towards the position is largely one of name instead of role.
    I wasn't here for that being on the outside, I don't think fans from other teams paid much attention, but it sounds pretty much like Tim Duncan throughout his career. My main theory for that was: Duncan wants to be compared to the all-time greats at the 4 and not the 5, which pretty much puts him at the top of the heap. You throw him in with 5's, and even before you do that, nobody can make a conclusive argument when you have Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Bill Russel.

And even if it had to do with the then present era, it could mean Duncan didn't want to be compared against the much physically stronger Shaq, with whom he had uncountable battles, and a totally different type of game.

Could be the same for AD? Either he is thinking ahead and doesn't want to be compared to greats at the 5, or he doesn't want to be compared to current guys like Embiid who are stronger than him.

Thread Information