Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How David Griffin Rebuilt the Pelicans and His World

It's completely disingenuous to say Griffin comments will or won't have an impact on the teams future. We simply don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It's completely disingenuous to say Griffin comments will or won't have an impact on the teams future. We simply don't know.
    In other words “Who Cares!”

Glad you agree Griff’s comments are irrelevant to the future of Pelicans. After all it really had nothing to do with the future. Just what Grif. Was going through.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.

I mean, I guess there's a 1% crazy off-chance that they do, so I'll correct my statement.

There is a 99% chance that his comments do absolutely NOTHING to impact this franchise long term. If you can find me anyone in December who even actively remembers this whole debacle in the world of the casual fan, I will be stunned.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, I guess there's a 1% crazy off-chance that they do, so I'll correct my statement.

There is a 99% chance that his comments do absolutely NOTHING to impact this franchise long term. If you can find me anyone in December who even actively remembers this whole debacle in the world of the casual fan, I will be stunned.

Exactly! I doubt calling a spade a spade will have 0 effect . If anything Grif was being honest and not being a puppet.

One of the biggest story this past off season was players talking about their futures. So only a fool would think that LeBron hasn't had influence on other players. Or think it's crazy that him feeling betrayed by Griffin couldn't easily turn off a potential free agent.

One of the biggest story this past off season was players talking about their futures. So only a fool would think that LeBron hasn't had influence on other players. Or think it's crazy that him feeling betrayed by Griffin couldn't easily turn off a potential free agent.
    You are digging yourself a deeper hole if you think Lebron has influence on the players

Exhibit A)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lebron-anymore

Exhibit B)

Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-06-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Looks like your boy had quite a meltdown yesterday . NCAA shut down his tampering.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Looks like your boy had quite a meltdown yesterday . NCAA shut down his tampering.
    That's absurd, and this ruling by the NCAA is terrible. This will have no impact on either Lebron or Rich Paul, as it doesn't impact already registered agents in the NBA. All it will do is prevent people who would have been otherwise entirely eligible to become agents, with all of the requisite knowledge, from reaching that goal by tying the legality of the position to a system which is notoriously inaccessible for large portions of the population. It's essentially a class barrier, and in many communities, a race barrier.

Yet another terrible move by the NCAA. As much as I dislike Rich Paul, and as much as I know (like everyone else) that Lebron is behind a lot of tampering in the NBA, this won't stop any of it, and Lebron is right that it's nonsense.

That's absurd, and this ruling by the NCAA is terrible. This will have no impact on either Lebron or Rich Paul, as it doesn't impact already registered agents in the NBA. All it will do is prevent people who would have been otherwise entirely eligible to become agents, with all of the requisite knowledge, from reaching that goal by tying the legality of the position to a system which is notoriously inaccessible for large portions of the population. It's essentially a class barrier, and in many communities, a race barrier.

Yet another terrible move by the NCAA. As much as I dislike Rich Paul, and as much as I know (like everyone else) that Lebron is behind a lot of tampering in the NBA, this won't stop any of it, and Lebron is right that it's nonsense.
    Go get a degree. How hard can it be? You can take courses online now. I don’t like NCAA either but it does not seem to complicated what they are asking. At least Zion got an agent that is certified and not a friend.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-07-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Go get a degree. How hard can it be? You can take courses online now.
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know how stupid that is and that you're just trolling. As if the issue with getting degrees is proximity to the classes, Jesus Christ.

The point is that you do not NEED a degree to be a basketball player's agent. It is inane and unnecessary to require it. All it does is place another barrier between the individual and the role that is NOT needed.

Shamit is tripping out on this Steve Kyler guy I see.

Go get a degree. How hard can it be? You can take courses online now. I don’t like NCAA either but it does not seem to complicated what they are asking. At least Zion got an agent that is certified and not a friend.
    No. Getting a college degree takes time plus you have to pass some arbritrary interview and test the NCAA gives. Whos to say you pass that too?

These double standards have to stop. Why all these complicated extra rules and hoops (no pun) for college basketball yet college hockey is the exact opposite?

And all agents have to be certified today already. Rich Paul is a certified agent.
    Last edited by luckyman; 08-07-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No. Getting a college degree takes time plus you have to pass some arbritrary interview and test the NCAA gives. Whos to say you pass that too?

These double standards have to stop. Why all these complicated extra rules and hoops (no pun) for college basketball yet college hockey is the exact opposite?

And all agents have to be certified today already. Rich Paul is a certified agent.

In the left hand Lebron has a right to complain, In the right hand Lebron is trying to manipulate the system much like he has already tried to do in the NBA. Lebron's mistake is he made it look obvious. Do you see Drew Brees with his agent skipping practices to go watch college basketball games? LSU Football games? I mean c'mon if he did not make it so obvious having Rich with him he probably could have continued doing his thing.

Be honest? I'll go back and find the posts if I have too. Did you get nervous Zion might hire Rich Paul?
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-07-2019 at 10:35 PM.

This article explains both sides. Rich Paul would have to sue and somehow defeat the NCAA. This could go on for years.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...certified-nbpa

This article explains both sides. Rich Paul would have to sue and somehow defeat the NCAA. This could go on for years.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...certified-nbpa
    The point ISN'T Rich Paul. Nobody is feeling bad for Rich Paul, this doesn't even really impact Rich Paul, he's already an NBA certified agent and even if he never signed another rookie (which he will anyway), he's already got a client list packed with players and obviously other NBA players can migrate to him just like AD did. Rich Paul will be absolutely fine, his life will not be derailed in any major way.

The point is that this arbitrary, stupid rule which has no real need to exist will punish aspiring agents who are not there yet, and either introduce a lot of trouble into their lives or potentially cut off their likelihood at becoming an agent entirely. These individuals will be the ones from less educated backgrounds, from underprivileged backgrounds, who had less educated parents, or came from poorer communities. Everybody who has ever done any research on this issue knows that, while yes it's true that there are exceptions, higher education is a class barrier, and with the way class and race intersect (particularly in the US, but really everywhere), it's also a race barrier.

This ruling by the NCAA essentially extends those class/race barriers to an entire profession. That might be understandable in some cases: of course you want your surgeon to have their medical qualifications, but to require a degree for a basketball agent is so obviously absurd that it's barely worth explaining. Rich Paul is not the point. The point is some 17 year old kid who wanted to be an agent some day, but who now faces unnecessary barriers from a system designed to keep him out. That's not right.

The point ISN'T Rich Paul. Nobody is feeling bad for Rich Paul, this doesn't even really impact Rich Paul, he's already an NBA certified agent and even if he never signed another rookie (which he will anyway), he's already got a client list packed with players and obviously other NBA players can migrate to him just like AD did. Rich Paul will be absolutely fine, his life will not be derailed in any major way.

The point is that this arbitrary, stupid rule which has no real need to exist will punish aspiring agents who are not there yet, and either introduce a lot of trouble into their lives or potentially cut off their likelihood at becoming an agent entirely. These individuals will be the ones from less educated backgrounds, from underprivileged backgrounds, who had less educated parents, or came from poorer communities. Everybody who has ever done any research on this issue knows that, while yes it's true that there are exceptions, higher education is a class barrier, and with the way class and race intersect (particularly in the US, but really everywhere), it's also a race barrier.

This ruling by the NCAA essentially extends those class/race barriers to an entire profession. That might be understandable in some cases: of course you want your surgeon to have their medical qualifications, but to require a degree for a basketball agent is so obviously absurd that it's barely worth explaining. Rich Paul is not the point. The point is some 17 year old kid who wanted to be an agent some day, but who now faces unnecessary barriers from a system designed to keep him out. That's not right.
    I like this guy
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Money talks. It is all about money.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...ege-basketball

Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-08-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Money talks. It is all about money.
    What a perfectly obtuse response.

What a perfectly obtuse response.

*tangentially related twitter quote from a blowhard idiot*
    Listen, I'm perfectly happy to have a dialogue but if you're just gonna keep replying with stuff that isn't really a direct response to anything I've said and is just your own ramblings, weirdly tacked on to my post, I'm not gonna keep answering. I made my point, I explained my position. If you want to engage with that, go for it, but if you just want to post stuff that's not really connected then there's no need for you to involve me in it.

Listen, I'm perfectly happy to have a dialogue but if you're just gonna keep replying with stuff that isn't really a direct response to anything I've said and is just your own ramblings, weirdly tacked on to my post, I'm not gonna keep answering. I made my point, I explained my position. If you want to engage with that, go for it, but if you just want to post stuff that's not really connected then there's no need for you to involve me in it.
    I see what you did with that quote that I never said.

Again

n the left hand Lebron has a right to complain, In the right hand Lebron is trying to manipulate the system much like he has already tried to do in the NBA. Lebron's mistake is he made it look obvious. Do you see Drew Brees with his agent skipping practices to go watch college basketball games? LSU Football games? I mean c'mon if he did not make it so obvious having Rich with him he probably could have continued doing his thing.

Be honest? I'll go back and find the posts if I have too. Did you get nervous Zion might hire Rich Paul?

Yes it screws other agents too. That is why it is called what it is. If you want to stop the NCAA from this stupidity you need to quit watching. Players need to go overseas or play in NAIAA or JUCO. Advertisers need to quit spending. Otherwise they won’t change!
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-08-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Which happens first?

A) NCAA catches up with times allows players to be paid? Reverses decision on Agents?

B) Roger Goodell resigns

C) America gets gun control

Which happens first?

A) NCAA catches up with times allows players to be paid? Reverses decision on Agents?

B) Roger Goodell resigns

C) America gets gun control
    D) The Lord's Return

I find it hard to get too worked up about this. First, who cares about Rich Paul? Second, this rule only applies to players wanting to preserve their eligibility and still enter their name in the draft. So Rich Paul can still go recruit all the top lottery guys that he wants. If you're going to allow this process, it makes sense to have some sort of requirements (reasonable people can differ if a degree should be one of those...no, it's not a prerequisite to be a good or successful agent, but it's also not some crazy hurdle). That said, all Rich Paul has to do is have someone at his agency meet those requirements (if he doesn't already have that) and then that person is the official agent and Paul can do as much of the actual work as he wants to. Very easily worked around...like how Kawhi had an actual agent at all his meetings while Uncle Dennis was the one talking and making the crazy demands.

Thread Information