Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How David Griffin Rebuilt the Pelicans and His World

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    are you really trying to explain this to a dude that has a weird fetish of hating Griffen? lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Yawn.

Don’t care. If y’all don’t see this guys ego from a mile away, so be it. Like I said I might be the only one to call it what it is..but I follow ball closely. This isn’t Griffins first rodeo. The same thing he complains about Lebron being, in a way...he does the exact same thing. It’s hilarious at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Yawn.

Don’t care. If y’all don’t see this guys ego from a mile away, so be it. Like I said I might be the only one to call it what it is..but I follow ball closely. This isn’t Griffins first rodeo. The same thing he complains about Lebron being, in a way...he does the exact same thing. It’s hilarious at this point.
    whoa man keep your weird fetishists to your self T.M.I

And for the record...I wanted to mention my feelings of why he’s doing this in another thread and this is a thread discussion of Griffin and I didn’t want to derail the other thread so I’ll say it.

He’s practically telling us in my opinion his motives.

Griffin wants to captain a program ala Greg Popavichesque.

I personally feel he has kinda knocked Zions status down in a way to not let Zion feel he is the Bron of the Pelicans. People say it’s to lower expectations...I think he’s very transparent if you look at everything.

I feel like since taking over, he’s made it an agenda to be on tv, write articles, and say specific things to accomplish his goal of this being HIS team. He was miserable in Cleveland because it wasn’t his team. Think about it...he’s probably the most talked about basketball exec in the league now in the span of months.

And for the record...I wanted to mention my feelings of why he’s doing this in another thread and this is a thread discussion of Griffin and I didn’t want to derail the other thread so I’ll say it.

He’s practically telling us in my opinion his motives.

Griffin wants to captain a program ala Greg Popavichesque.

I personally feel he has kinda knocked Zions status down in a way to not let Zion feel he is the Bron of the Pelicans. People say it’s to lower expectations...I think he’s very transparent if you look at everything.

I feel like since taking over, he’s made it an agenda to be on tv, write articles, and say specific things to accomplish his goal of this being HIS team. He was miserable in Cleveland because it wasn’t his team. Think about it...he’s probably the most talked about basketball exec in the league now in the span of months.
    He also worked with the media for 2 years, so he has the connections to spread his message . He is brilliantly deflecting attention from a 19 year old kid to not let the media ruin him. He is earning his money and controlling the narrative of the Pelicans. That is exactly what he was hired to do.

Things got out of control in Cleveland because of the Lebron media circus and an extremely egotistical Lebron. He is absolutely right in saying that was a poor environment to work.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 08-02-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    He also worked with the media for 2 years, so he has the connections to spread his message . He is brilliantly deflecting attention from a 19 year old kid to not let the media ruin him. He is earning his money and controlling the narrative of the Pelicans. That is exactly what he was hires to do.
    Or he just showed Zion what he does to players that thought he was loyal.

Take your blinders off.

Or he just showed Zion what he does to players that thought he was loyal.

Take your blinders off.
    If the guy wanted to attack Lebron, he sure as hell wouldn’t go on national TV to apologize for a an out of context comment. You are just looking to hate on a good thing.

In my opinion, Lebron is a cancer as a teammate and few have the guts to call him out for it. All he does is form super teams through tampering for cheap championship chasing. This creates an imbalance of power in the NBA. He then blames management or other teammates if they can’t win. I hope he never sniffs another cheap championship.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 08-02-2019 at 07:20 PM.

If the guy wanted to attack Lebron, he sure as hell wouldn’t go on national TV to apologize for a an out of context comment. You are just looking to hate on a good thing.

In my opinion, Lebron is a cancer as a teammate and few have the guts to call him out for it. All he does is form super teams through tampering for cheap championship chasing. This creates an imbalance of power in the NBA. He then blames management or other teammates if they can’t win. I hope he never sniffs another cheap championship.
    Are you sure about that? When he’s been on tv for just about everything else?

I thought the Pelicans portion was brilliant but some of you guys are missing the obvious.

So apparently Griffin has been in the media for 2 years. He’s this master narrative controller. Right? He has media connections. Probably knows the guy at SI but this media connected guy “took stuff out of context”. Is that what I’m hearing?
    So a guy this smart and already with media experience has to apologize for something being taken out of context on live tv? Is that what I’m hearing?

You know the smoking gun in the entire write up? When he just HAD to pat himself on the back about how Lebron respects him to tell it like it is. Think about that humble brag. It was UNNECESSARY.

Just think of this reasonably is all I ask.

Griffin is just guilty of over sharing and being honest with the media. The SI writer (Fisher) did the classic spin comments for hot takes and click bait tactic that writers and reporters do to get attention. If anything, Griffin was backstabbed by Fisher.

Do you think being the GM of a team you have limited control over and results short of a championship being seen as failure makes for a pleasant work environment? I bet he was miserable .
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 08-02-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Are you sure about that? When he’s been on tv for just about everything else?

I thought the Pelicans portion was brilliant but some of you guys are missing the obvious.

So apparently Griffin has been in the media for 2 years. He’s this master narrative controller. Right? He has media connections. Probably knows the guy at SI but this media connected guy “took stuff out of context”. Is that what I’m hearing?
    So a guy this smart and already with media experience has to apologize for something being taken out of context on live tv? Is that what I’m hearing?

You know the smoking gun in the entire write up? When he just HAD to pat himself on the back about how Lebron respects him to tell it like it is. Think about that humble brag. It was UNNECESSARY.

Just think of this reasonably is all I ask.
    so you ask people to be reasonabl while having a huge bias of your own against the guy? most ppl here know his short comings were all just giving him a chance while you literally criticise almost everything he does but we're the ones with blinders on right? you had nothing to say until he passed on garland and then you made an account to ********** and moan and you only ever come around when topics are about Griffen

I never said to avoid the Cavs but there’s a way to do it. He shouldn’t have given the writer any angle or the Skips anything to bite on to.

Not to be Nostradamus, but just like week I said in another thread “what will he say next”. Think about it. In the last month he has said numerous things for hot take shows. What’s he trying to accomplish?
    You said last week ''what will he say next?!''

And the answer is, absolutely nothing he hadn't already said on the Woj pod over a month ago, or on the Beck pod 2 weeks ago, and in more places than that prior as well. This stuff is not new. What he said is not new. It's only being blown up now because it's August, because back when he first said it a month or more ago, nobody even realised.

I've already explained to you the concept of establishing a narrative and controlling it for yourself. Josh Hart has said the same thing about why he started his entire podcast. It's important to push the narrative you WANT to be accepted.

You said he shouldn't have given the writer an angle, or the Skips something to bite on. Have you considered that ANYTHING he said would be an ''angle'', or that Skip would have bitten on almost ANYTHING? Because that's how the media works. Even if he had refused to even address Cleveland, and said that his time working with Lebron was completely off limits, THAT would have been turned into something. If the media wants a story, they will get a story, and it doesn't matter whether the source material contains that information or not.

You must have absolutely loved the Dell Demps era. Damn near a decade of absolute silence on every issue. Sounds like your dream front office.
    Basketball.

I'm not convinced you're hearing anything at all, because it sounds like not only are you not listening, you also haven't read the article.

Pretty much nobody is blaming the SI writer. The article was FINE. The talk about Cleveland was minimal, relatively respectful, contained fairly little in terms lf extraneous detail, and was used almost entirely to provide comparison for the new team he's working with. The writer didn't do it perfectly, he wasn't out there doing trailblazing journalism or anything, but it was fine.

The people who took stuff out of context were other journalists and TV personalities who are not news reporters but instead talking heads and gossip-mongers. It is the job of a Skip Bayless, of a Shannon Sharpe, not to report the news and be fair, but to create narrative and drama.

If you're hearing ''The writer at SI took him out of context!'' instead of ''the people who are literally employed to create drama found an opportunity to create drama'', that's because you're not listening. That's your problem, not anybody else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm not convinced you're hearing anything at all, because it sounds like not only are you not listening, you also haven't read the article.

Pretty much nobody is blaming the SI writer. The article was FINE. The talk about Cleveland was minimal, relatively respectful, contained fairly little in terms lf extraneous detail, and was used almost entirely to provide comparison for the new team he's working with. The writer didn't do it perfectly, he wasn't out there doing trailblazing journalism or anything, but it was fine.

The people who took stuff out of context were other journalists and TV personalities who are not news reporters but instead talking heads and gossip-mongers. It is the job of a Skip Bayless, of a Shannon Sharpe, not to report the news and be fair, but to create narrative and drama.

If you're hearing ''The writer at SI took him out of context!'' instead of ''the people who are literally employed to create drama found an opportunity to create drama'', that's because you're not listening. That's your problem, not anybody else's.
    Dude scroll 3 post up and read Darkhorse’s entire first paragraph and then read your first paragraph. And then read your second.

You don’t get it. There’s a way to speak on things and not have ANYTHING taken out of context. That’s what media training and being savvy is about. I know what Skip and Sharpes intentions are...but this is a guy who’s being hailed as a narrative controller YET some of you can’t see that he’s controlling the narrative to be about HIM! How can you not see my argument is that if he knows what the Skip and Sharpes will do....why say anything that gets him close to the curb? What will he say next?

The fact that you bring up his woj podcast is proof of what I’m stating. He was virtually a nobody as far as everyday news go. No one cared. But once he was hired in the span of months he has been the center of NBA news circuits, apologizing on live tv, and you’re telling me the guy isn’t smart enough to know by now he’s performing under different lights than woj’s ESPN corner office?!

No I didn’t praise DD era but I’m calling out what I see done now. It’s pretty obvious.
    Last edited by Wowowowow; 08-03-2019 at 04:59 AM.

Griffin is just guilty of over sharing and being honest with the media. The SI writer (Fisher) did the classic spin comments for hot takes and click bait tactic that writers and reporters do to get attention. If anything, Griffin was backstabbed by Fisher.
    This 100%. The writer is the one at fault because he took minor comments made by Griff and spinning it into this headline catching nonsense.

He certainly burned his bridges with the Pelicans organization and I bet other GMs see how this played out and the guy is effectively blackballed by any important people in the NBA unless they need a specific spin to get out there.

You don’t get it. There’s a way to speak on things and not have ANYTHING taken out of context.
    Alright, didn't realise I was talking to Rudolf Carnap here.

I disagree with Darkhorse, and I missed his comment, or else I wouldn't have said nobody was blaming the SI writer. Read my paragraph back as ''almost nobody'' and the sentiment remains unchanged.

I don't agree that Griffin is controlling the narrative to ''be about HIM'', at all. I've listened to the Woj pod, I've listened to the Beck pod, I've read the articles, I've watched and in many cases transcribed interviews on radio, press conferences, and conference calls: that's just not what is happening.

I think you are incorrect in your subjective analysis of Griff's intentions. Feel free to disagree all you want, but if all the conversation is going to boil down to is me saying I don't see it, and you insisting that anyone who doesn't see it is a blind sheep just missing the obvious truth of Griffin's self aggrandising personal ego-quest, then good for you but I'm not going to waste any more time on it.

I don't care to get into the middle of any of this but I do want to say that no matter how careful you are with your words someone can always twist what you're saying. The only way to have someone be able to not twist your words is to not speak at all. As soon as you speak you open yourself up to misinterpretation or willful twisting of words.

I just wish Griffin would stop talking. I don't see much good coming from calling Zion "Draymond Green like" or his comments about LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I just wish Griffin would stop talking. I don't see much good coming from calling Zion "Draymond Green like" or his comments about LeBron.
    I agree with this. I hope he realizes that at this point.

I'd much rather have Griff talking regularly, even if it does occasionally give a slow-news-day-media the chance to manipulate the odd comment here and there, than have radio silence for a decade like we did with Demps.

If the options are:

1) Complete silence. You get no interviews, no podcasts, no real pressers, no information, no TV appearances, no sideline reporting. If you want to know about your team, go take a running jump off a bridge.

or

2) Regular, consistent communication from the front office. Every now and again, the media will spin something to create a false narrative for the sake of bumping up a slow news day, but you know what's going on, you know the thought process, you know how players are progressing and the direction the team is going in.

I take option 2 every single day, with no question.

Ironically people complained about Dell Demps lack of communication. We're like 4 months into Griff being here and people are already complaining about him talking too much. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Ironically people complained about Dell Demps lack of communication. We're like 4 months into Griff being here and people are already complaining about him talking too much. Lol.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Maybe I'm off but of all the complaints about Demps I don't recall his lack of quotable lines being one of them. And even if people on the board legitimately were disappointed with his lack of communication that's their fault. The min comments you make about possibly the games greatest player you have to walk back(whether it's his fault or not) days later you are doing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd much rather have Griff talking regularly, even if it does occasionally give a slow-news-day-media the chance to manipulate the odd comment here and there, than have radio silence for a decade like we did with Demps.

If the options are:

1) Complete silence. You get no interviews, no podcasts, no real pressers, no information, no TV appearances, no sideline reporting. If you want to know about your team, go take a running jump off a bridge.

or

2) Regular, consistent communication from the front office. Every now and again, the media will spin something to create a false narrative for the sake of bumping up a slow news day, but you know what's going on, you know the thought process, you know how players are progressing and the direction the team is going in.

I take option 2 every single day, with no question.
    There a saying a women knows within seconds whether or not she wants to have sex with you. At that point the only thing you can do is talk her out of it. I rather radio silence.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    There a saying a women knows within seconds whether or not she wants to have sex with you. At that point the only thing you can do is talk her out of it. I rather radio silence.
    That wowowowowow fellow smells like a burning retread from the past.

Read the article again. You will find out Lebron is the one that hijacked it. ESPN is the one that came after Griff. Do you work for Rich Paul? I know if posted this crap I would be banned in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-04-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Maybe I'm off but of all the complaints about Demps I don't recall his lack of quotable lines being one of them. And even if people on the board legitimately were disappointed with his lack of communication that's their fault. The min comments you make about possibly the games greatest player you have to walk back(whether it's his fault or not) days later you are doing too much.
    One of the complaints I remember hearing more than once was how radio silent Demps was with the media. Actually, that was one of the main issues with how he handled the AD trade requests was forcing Gentry to handle the media instead of handling the situation.

Thread Information