Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Brandon Ingram better than Ben Simmons?

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    You misunderstood boss lol.. I didn't mean "much" weight. I said "he may not ever put on that much weight." I'd be happy with an additional 15. Though that's not even a given.
    That's what I'm hoping. If he can get to 210, 215, I'll take it. On paper, that still sounds 25lbs short for a 6'10 guy, but I'll take it. Not everyone is Lebron mode.
    Basketball.

I was really caught off guard by the Ben Simmons comparisons. Ben Simmons has no jump shot and is the second best player on his team yet gets so much attention, yet this article brings up a guy we perceive as having potential but almost being the most disposable part of the AD trade. Is Ingram's ceiling that high? Are we looking at a health over hype situation where he never lives up to what he can do?

My biggest issue with BI is I'm just not sure if he is in our out. To win you need everyone moving in the same direction. Maybe its just his personality and he lets his emotions play out on the court. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

As far as BI vs. BS question I say they are completely different players. BI is a offensive focused player while Ben is more a support type player so there is that. thats all i got.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I was really caught off guard by the Ben Simmons comparisons. Ben Simmons has no jump shot and is the second best player on his team yet gets so much attention, yet this article brings up a guy we perceive as having potential but almost being the most disposable part of the AD trade. Is Ingram's ceiling that high? Are we looking at a health over hype situation where he never lives up to what he can do?
    Not the most disposable. The most expensive, the soonest. That's the issue I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I do find it worrying though, if he's apparently a complete gym rat, that he's been unable to put on any significant weight in 3 years. You would think three years of NBA level gym work, nutrition, and weight training would have done something to his frame.
    When basketball players are described as gym rats, that's a reference to playing basketball in a gym not lifting weights in a (different kind of) gym.

ETA: playing a lot of basketball is also counterproductive to gaining weight

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'll just leave this here. Seems to have no fear going at AD

I can’t wait! I have watched him do that many nights while playing great defense. Kid put together some incredible games last season. Crazy his length is near the same as AD. Zion has some nice pieces that compliment his game very well.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-02-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    When basketball players are described as gym rats, that's a reference to playing basketball in a gym not lifting weights in a (different kind of) gym.

Yea this is the NBA not a body building competition. I could care less if he gains anything from here on out as long as he gets stronger. If his weight was 190 lbs coming in then he is easily around 210 lbs now. He had to be locked out of the basketball gym and that’s all I need to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post

I was using gym in a more figurative sense.

When I write ''gym rat'' in that sentence, read: ''man who extremely dedicated to his training and is constantly working out''. Whether that's weight training, drills, cardio, whatever, is up to the people managing his development.

By the way Ingram weighed 196 lbs at the 2015 Nike Hoop Summit where he was also measured for the first time with a 7’3 wingspan. He was only 17 years old at the time.. Your entire argument has been if he was only 210-215 lbs he would be fine. If you have followed Ingram the last 4 years he has added a good amount of weight during this time. I think it’s safe to say he is every bit of 210+.. Ingram should be given an unofficial weight that isn’t from 4 years ago when he was a 17 year old kid. If this is the case we must assume AD is still 222 lbs and not closer to 250 like it is believed.

Do what? I know Ben Simmons has some limitations due to having zero jump shot, but as a basketball player he’s leaps & bounds better than Brandon Ingram right now. He’s the best ball handler I’ve ever seen for someone taller than 6’9”. He’s a great facilitator, damn good rebounder, and an above average defender as well. Only Lebron comes close to having the same abilities for a player his size. If he ever develops a jump shot he will be one of the best players in the league. I don’t think Ingram will ever have a chance to reach that kind of pinnacle. I think Ingram can be a second leg of a big 3 type of scenario, but don’t think he will ever be the alpha dog. So if Zion can be that alpha dog, than Ingram could be that 2nd star type player IMO. If Simmons never develops that jump shot and Ingram becomes an every year type All Star then maybe the comparison can be made. But right now the comparison is no where near close as Simmons is a way better overall player IMO.

If you look at his pictures from Duke & as a rookie to now, you can tell Ingram has put on some weight. It might not be a whole lot, but he has put on some.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 08-03-2019 at 01:54 PM.

I saw a pretty good question today on who would you rather between Lonzo Ball and Ja Morant. Personally I’m going with Ball especially since his off the court drama is a non issue and he seems to have fully bought in. They both have very similar skill sets except one is an elite defender while the other will be average at best. I think Lonzo is in line for the MIP award.

Ingram’s highlights below show just how good this kid can be. Like someone said he has a different skill set then Simmons. Imo he has a ceiling every bit as high. The closest player in the NBA to Durant.

https://youtu.be/aNisYMJQKUg

I think like someone said above, it’s really about where his mindset is to buy into being apart of a culture where he’s in the future of being the 2nd star on a team getting national pub everyday.. Quiet as kept, this is where I like the JJ pickup the most.

I believe BI is going to bust out next season. Career year. And JJ, being the Duke guy can bridge the gap between that type of team building.
    Last edited by Wowowowow; 08-04-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I was using gym in a more figurative sense.

When I write ''gym rat'' in that sentence, read: ''man who extremely dedicated to his training and is constantly working out''. Whether that's weight training, drills, cardio, whatever, is up to the people managing his development.
    You can use it however you'd like, but when you see other people using it, they're not talking about weight training or cardio, they're talking about playing basketball/shooting/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    I think like someone said above, it’s really about where his mindset is to buy into being apart of a culture where he’s in the future of being the 2nd star on a team getting national pub everyday.. Quiet as kept, this is where I like the JJ pickup the most.

I believe BI is going to bust out next season. Career year. And JJ, being the Duke guy can bridge the gap between that type of team building.
    Yea I completely agree. Getting JJ was huge not only for his play but to have another vet showing these young guys how to be leaders and a pro. To these young Duke alumni JJ is a legend and arguably the best player at Duke ever. I think Ingram will be perfectly fine accepting that 2a/2b role behind Zion. It is much easier to accept when it’s behind such a humble and team guy like Zion.

Imo next year he will be very good but I don’t think he will be at 100% basketball wise until after the all star break. Not being able to work on his game at all this summer will take a little to knock off the rust. Will be a learning process for these kids as they pickup system and how to play with each other. The positive is we will save a little $ with his contract since he won’t be where he left off at the end of last season. Next year for me I just want to see exciting basketball while our young guys develop. I expect him to have a similar season as he did this year but actually be used from the start how he should have been with the Lakers. My stat line prediction is
    18-22 ppg / 5-7 rpg / 3-5 apg / 50% FG / 38% 3pt / 70% FT
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Not only has Ingram been massively under rated and just disrespected around here but so was Lonzo pre trade. This kid has legit talent to be the best point guard in the NBA in a couple of years as Curry ages. He will be the most complete PG no doubt in my mind. Then you consider he will be in arguably the best system in the NBA for him but also surrounded by players who compliment his game so well you almost couldn’t hand pick them any better. Zo/NAW/Ingram/Zion/Hayes is going to be a dynasty!!

https://youtu.be/T5Fs41rCOQc
    Watch those highlights and tell me this kid doesn’t have superstar talent. He’s a PG version of
    Paul George and Ben Simmons.

Thread Information