Pelicans Report

Thread: (I'm Bored) So, what would happen if AD leaves the Lakers and left them in shambles?

(I'm Bored) So, what would happen if AD leaves the Lakers and left them in shambles?

Would you feel that would cause more convulted CBA rules changes by the NBA?

We send AD out like the cancerous Trojan Horse that he is. He bails and the Lakers pull a Kobe/Dwight 2.0. Yet, this time... They don't have future assets to rebuild. So, the NBA largest market is stuck being a bottom feeder. Would such a large market team gain enough favor to create a Rob Pelinka/AD rule?

I guess if they did a rule. The only way to do it is go gauge import assets vs. Export assets in a trade in situations with contract length. Lakers have 6-8 outgoing assets while only gaining 1 asset. The rule would deny 1 year expiring to be traded for so many assets without a newly created contract extension litigation... I guess we can call it a trade extension of 1-3 years at market/bird right value before allowing the trade.

1-3 assets = 0 year
    4 = 1 year minimum extension
    5-6 = 2 year minimum extension
    7+ = 3 year minimum extension
    Pick swaps count as half assest

I think this only happens if the worst case scenario for the Lakers/ Best for Pelicans . As in... AD leaves and we won another Lottery through the Lakers while being top level contenders/ getting top level lottery odds/picks.

Which I honestly would hate to happen, but much like being unable to trade btb 1st round picks. It's another move to protect teams from bad moves by GMs.

Do you think in the worst case scenario for Lakers... Would Silver & NBA step in to create a new rule to protect teams from giving up the farm for a 1 year rental superstar?
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-26-2019 at 01:14 PM.

I would be ecstatic if that happened!!!

I don't think this would prompt a rule change, and I don't think it SHOULD prompt a rule change either.

Silver and the NBA overall obviously don't care that much if a large market is stuck being garbage for a long time: just look at the Knicks. One of the biggest media markets in the NBA, in one of the most densely populated cities in the US, with a rich history going back decades and decades, who have sucked garbage at the worst level for basically 20 years and the league clearly just doesn't care. If a franchise turns itself into a joke by repeatedly screwing up, the NBA higher ups don't seem to care that much.

The fact is, the front office is one of the most important things in the NBA. The ability of ownership and management to find a common cause and work intelligently towards it is what separates top tier tiers from mediocrity. If the NBA enforces a rule to prevent stupid management, they might as well try and enforce a rule to prevent players from taking bad shots. No more long twos, if you shoot a shot within the red zone of 16-22 feet, you get called for a tech.
    Basketball.

LA is LA and the Lakers are the Lakers.

As amazing as it would be to see them suffer for decades, the more likely scenario is that they would suck for one or two seasons, jettison all of their large contracts and then become the primary destination for the next group of superstars looking for a team with a ton if cap to become the next Super Team.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    LA is LA and the Lakers are the Lakers.

As amazing as it would be to see them suffer for decades, the more likely scenario is that they would suck for one or two seasons, jettison all of their large contracts and then become the primary destination for the next group of superstars looking for a team with a ton if cap to become the next Super Team.
    If we're going by ''the Lakers are the Lakers'' then surely the precedent is for them to suck for like, 5 or 6 years at a time before trading for someone? That's generally what they do.

Sucked after Shaq left until they traded for Gasol, sucked after that until now when they traded for AD. They've signed one top tier free agent in the last 20 years (Lebron), and if superstars wanna go to LA why not just head to the Clippers who will have another max slot available soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If we're going by ''the Lakers are the Lakers'' then surely the precedent is for them to suck for like, 5 or 6 years at a time before trading for someone? That's generally what they do.

Sucked after Shaq left until they traded for Gasol, sucked after that until now when they traded for AD. They've signed one top tier free agent in the last 20 years (Lebron), and if superstars wanna go to LA why not just head to the Clippers who will have another max slot available soon?
    Clippers can actually make moves for a MAX slot next year for AD. Under 10 year service maxs is how they make it all work. AD's max is 35 miion.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Clippers can actually make moves for a MAX slot next year for AD. Under 10 year service maxs is how they make it all work. AD's max is 35 miion.
    If AD went to the Clips, that would be crazy!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I can’t see there being a rule change.

via Chicago Tribune

With the Bulls’ rebuild in a different place and Davis, who shares the same agent as James, seemingly hellbent on landing in Los Angeles, the moment passed. That’s why Davis’ short answer rang a little hollow when asked if wearing a Bulls jersey someday would mean anything to him. “I mean, (this is) definitely hometown,” he said. “If the opportunity ever presents itself and when that time comes, I’d definitely consider it.”

Did you see where the owner of the Clippers is going to help fund his new arena. Hard not to like this man. He will overtake LA sports scene

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clipp...-steve-ballmer

I think the Lakers are in real danger of this happening.

1. AD’s agent already said that he will go into FA (take this with a grain of salt because he’s with Clutch).

2. He is not buying a home he is renting.

3. LeBron is clearly not the easiest teammate to play with. Whose to say him and AD don’t end up clashing. It’s possible.

4. The front office is still in turmoil. West just left the team after 10 years today.

5. Their coach isn’t fantastic and they have Kidd literally sitting right behind him. Could cause drama if they lose early in the season.

6. This is the largest turnover of personnel an organization has ever had. EVER... in all major sports! I’m surprised nobody is really talking about this. So much can go wrong as they try to find the right fit.

Ok, so all that being said. If they start off losing... you know the media is going to pound them everyday to generate ratings as everyone outside of LA will love to hear about the Lakers failing. I think there is a real possibly that this project fails, AD leaves, and the Lakers are screwed for the next 10 years.

I give this possibility a 30% chance of happening... which is really high in these circumstances.

Thread Information