Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Who Will We Turn on First?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zion

0 0%
  • Lonzo

1 20.00%
  • Ingram

1 20.00%
  • Gentry

1 20.00%
  • Jrue

0 0%
  • Griffin

0 0%
  • Other

2 40.00%

Thread: Poll: Who Will Fans Turn on First

Poll: Who Will Fans Turn on First

There's been far too much positivity on this board lately and, frankly, it's making me wildly uncomfortable. We're Pelicans (formerly Hornets for most of us) fans. Literally nothing ever goes according to plan and we should always expect the worst. So I'm injecting some much needed negativity into this forum to balance out the boundless optimism that has infected this dark corner of the internet.

Who do you think will be the first person Pels fans as a whole turn on first next season? I only included the high profile people within the organization, but I'm happy to hear other suggestions. There's so many options here and all of them seem plausible, but my vote goes to Gentry because there's just no way to keep everyone happy. There are too many legitimate NBA players on the roster and every fan thinks he's an expert at divying up minutes. Unless this team starts off on a hot streak (highly unlikely because of the need to fit in so many new pieces and having to get Zion up to NBA speed), there's going to be a lot of noise about how much Gentry is messing up rotations instead of the rational response that it will take time to figure out the best combinations of players. Can't wait.

It's hard to pick.

I can see it being Gentry, sure, because when game time rolls around he does tend to make a couple of baffling decisions on the court. He's always had sketchy rotations, slightly weird minute management, and odd lineups. The odd lineups don't really matter so much this season because we have so many new faces that we're just gonna be trying stuff out, but I think a lot of casual fans won't really get that. They'll just look at a dumb lineup getting beaten on every other player and get unhappy. So it could be that.

I think if Lonzo or Ingram gets injured, then people will get frustrated with them. They've both been injury prone in the past, and if it starts looking like the ''return'' on the AD deal is just damaged goods, people will feel like they've been short-changed even if the overall trade itself was still really good. Double that for if Lonzo/Ingram don't improve their percentages from the 3 and the FT line. Just to picture a worst case scenario, just imagine Lonzo shooting like 38% from the FT line for three months then getting injury. Fans would be livid.

Although it's dumb, I could also see it being Zion. We live in an NBA of instant gratification, and I think we're all guilty of it sometimes, including me. Zion's got incredible, incredible abilities, but regardless of that he's still a 19 year old getting used to playing against guys 10 or 15 years his senior, and his hype will have people coming at him. I personally dont think it will happen because I'm just so high on his intangibles and his motor, but it wouldn't be weird at all if Zion came out and played a little under expectations for the first 6 or 8 weeks. If that happens, there's no question that the media will start feeding into it, and there's every chance that (again, the casual) fans will get a little disgruntled.
    Basketball.

Im going other because im going to be positive until it falls apart...then ill still be positive for what is to come. Lets goooo!

People have already been Critical of Ingram on this forum. So if he doesnt IMMEDIATELY produce, I can see him being an early scapegoat.

test post, all posts not approved by moderator

Thread Information