Pelicans Report

Thread: CBS off season grades

CBS off season grades

New Orleans Pelicans
    Added:

G Lonzo Ball (trade with Lakers and Wizards)
    F Brandon Ingram (trade with Lakers and Wizards)
    G JJ Redick (signed)
    F Derrick Favors (trade with Jazz)
    G Josh Hart (trade with Lakers and Wizards)
    Drafted:

F Zion Williamson (No. 1 pick)
    C Jaxson Hayes (No. 8 pick, via Hawks)
    G Nickeil Alexander-Walker (No. 17 pick, via Hawks)
    G Marcos Louzada Silva (No. 35 pick, via Hawks)
    Lost:

F Anthony Davis (trade with Lakers)
    F Solomon Hill (trade with Hawks)
    G Elfrid Payton (signed with Knicks)
    C Julius Randle (signed with Knicks)
    F Stanley Johnson (signed with Raptors)
    When you trade a superstar player who has said he wants out, you're not supposed to get better immediately. But David Griffin endeared himself to New Orleans fans by putting on a clinic this offseason, acquiring promising young players and first-round picks like they were Pokemon cards, not to mention adding win-now vets in Redick and Favors. They lucked out by getting Zion, but everything else was a product of a shrewd front office which has set the Pelicans up for years of success, maybe even starting this season. Offseason Grade: A+

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...y-madness/amp/

I've pretty much got to agree. There's been a few people I've seen grade our off-season as an A, and basically say you can't get the + when you lose a superstar, and I can understand that approach so it doesn't annoy me, but I'd go with an A+ as well.

AD left. Yes. That's true, and of course it does always suck when you lose a top tier player. That stings and we all know it.

But when you compensate for it by getting Zion Williamson, JJ Redick, Derrick Favors, Jaxson Hayes, Nickeil Alexander Walker, Didi Louzada, Ingram, Lonzo, and Hart, along with a bushel of future picks, without going way over the cap or acquiring ANY bad long term money?

Come on, that's just a masterclass.
    Basketball.

The greatest part of the AD trade that doesn't seem to get discussed is he was leaving in one year. We basically got full price for him as if he was in midcontract....mind blowing!

#letsdance

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    The greatest part of the AD trade that doesn't seem to get discussed is he was leaving in one year. We basically got full price for him as if he was in midcontract....mind blowing!

#letsdance
    That's the magic of having a desperate team on the hook. LA needed him now. Lebron's getting older, they can't wait for another year. Griff said it himself a bunch of times, having Lebron is great because it opens windows for you, but it also adds a ton of pressure. You can't take time to build something, every year you have to be trying to win THIS championship.

Not only did we avoid long-term contracts (including Boogie and AD if you think about it....) we shed our worst contract in Solomon Hill. We basically converted Hill into Reddick plus a pick, the way I look at it. In the future when we evaluate Hayes plus NAW versus the guy that Atlanta picked I think we will be seen as clear winners without even considering the salary cap relief we obtained which was used to sign Reddick. While Hill's defense was valuable pre-injury, Reddick's floor spacing should be much more valuable despite his defensive shortcomings....

Can I just say that when it listed what we had gained and it said (Traded with Lakers and Wizards) I legit had a double take where I thought I had missed a Beal trade.

Think everyone agrees our off season was amazing from top to bottom. Wish the season would hurry up...im ready for some basketball nooowwwwwwww

When your fan base is more fired up after you lose a generational superstar, you know you deserve that A+. More people have come back to the fold since this all played out then at any time over the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    When your fan base is more fired up after you lose a generational superstar, you know you deserve that A+. More people have come back to the fold since this all played out then at any time over the last five years.
    I agree if you told me two years ago that when AD left the fans base would be more excited than anytime since he’s been here I wouldn’t have believed it but we are , I think we all new as good as AD was his beta personality and his contusions on a nightly basis wasn’t gonna get us anywhere . I’m still thankful for AD and all he did for this franchise and more importantly what he did for the franchise on the way out the door . Without him pulling this “ I want to be traded “ stuff none of this would have happened from the front office to upgrading the facility to players and draft picks added .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I've pretty much got to agree. There's been a few people I've seen grade our off-season as an A, and basically say you can't get the + when you lose a superstar, and I can understand that approach so it doesn't annoy me, but I'd go with an A+ as well.

AD left. Yes. That's true, and of course it does always suck when you lose a top tier player. That stings and we all know it.

But when you compensate for it by getting Zion Williamson, JJ Redick, Derrick Favors, Jaxson Hayes, Nickeil Alexander Walker, Didi Louzada, Ingram, Lonzo, and Hart, along with a bushel of future picks, without going way over the cap or acquiring ANY bad long term money?

Come on, that's just a masterclass.

We traded S. Hill for a @nd round Pick!! His contrat was trash

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    This

Thread Information