Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zion withdraws from USA Select

Zion withdraws from USA Select

@ShamsCharania

New Orleans Pelicans No. 1 overall pick Zion Williamson has withdrawn from USA Basketball's Select Team for FIBA World Cup training, Team USA director Jerry Colangelo told @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

@ShamsCharania

Williamson and the Pelicans are focused on having the top pick fully integrated into the franchise and its new additions this offseason -- as quickly as possible. USA has available pool of names to choose from even as players withdraw.

I don't agree with this move. I understand the need to keep him healthy but this was an opportunity to go against our best in a controlled environment.

Not too surprising, kind of a shame in some ways, but I don't blame the team for wanting him just immersed in their system. Griff said at Summer League that Zion is going to be spending the summer in New Orleans with the training staff, with Aaron Nelson, etc, to really maximise his physical potential, make sure he's in peak shape, get him training, etc etc, so it's no real shock that they wouldn't interrupt that to send him away for large chunks of time to do the Team USA Select thingy.
    Basketball.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Not mad at this decision.

Basketball Guru
    good...enough with sharing zion with the world....time for him to be home and taking care of business with the pelicans....

Personally, I would've liked for him to participate & send some of trainers with him. You get to play/learn from some of the top players/minds in the game. I understand the decision tho.
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

Waiting for this terrible take to migrate all over the internet. Cannot wait for the Lakers fans to tell us how injury prone Zion is while they trumpet AD around the show.

Quote Originally Posted by 8th_ward View Post
    I don't agree with this move. I understand the need to keep him healthy but this was an opportunity to go against our best in a controlled environment.
    Most of the top players are pulling out. I don't think it is worth it.

Basketball Guru
    people with sense knew it was the shoe blowout that caused the injury......dont think this will be a internet issue this season.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    people with sense
    There's your problem. There's only about 30 of those people on the entirety of NBA twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Most of the top players are pulling out. I don't think it is worth it.
    Yep, AD, Harden, CJ McCollum, none of those guys will be there. Lebron is basically never there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yep, AD, Harden, CJ McCollum, none of those guys will be there. Lebron is basically never there.
    Gordon, Harris and Beal pulled out as well.

well I like the move. Let Nelson have some time with him

Zion is skipping USA Basketball, which was called “legal tampering” by Griff
    Interesting quote.

With all due respect to team USA, I can see why players may not feel motivated to risk their bodies for the national team. There isn’t really much of a competitive balance in international basketball for it to feel like much of an achievement. Maybe one day we will get there as the game continues to expand globally. As for right now, I have no problem with Zion or others protecting themselves.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 07-22-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Interesting quote.
    Griff has called team USA and USA basketball ''legalised tampering'' about 50 times in his recent press tour he doesn't seem to be saying it in a vindictive, angry way, more just a comment on how it puts all the players in close proximity to each other, almost like letting them do trial-runs of guys they'd like to team up with later.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    My hope is once Zion is fully acclimatized to the NBA, that going to Team USA camp puts other sniper elite players at risk of Zion swaying THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Griff has called team USA and USA basketball ''legalised tampering'' about 50 times in his recent press tour he doesn't seem to be saying it in a vindictive, angry way, more just a comment on how it puts all the players in close proximity to each other, almost like letting them do trial-runs of guys they'd like to team up with later.
    Does that make the All-Star game legal tampering?

...grabs popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Does that make the All-Star game legal tampering?

...grabs popcorn
    Probably, especially now that players literally select the team mates they'd prefer to play with instead of strict conference splits.

Of course, the All-Star game isn't really quite the same because the teams don't really practise that much or spend that much time together. Team USA has all the players practising and playing together for weeks.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    And while going to Team USA assumes a certain level of skill...when AD went to Team USA he was an absolute raw rookie. His first integration into the league was surrounded by elite players. Making friends with guys who he'd only see in passing or as opponents for the most part. And certainly not competing at a high level together.

However, All-Star game is brief. And if Zion makes it as a rookie, it means he had an above average at least rookie campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    However, All-Star game is brief. And if Zion makes it as a rookie, it means he had an above average at least rookie campaign.
    I think Zion honestly has a really good chance of being an all-star. His hype is just off the charts and obviously that impacts the fan vote. KD's left the conference so his perennial spot has kind of opened up. If Zion can put up strong numbers, he has as good a chance as any guy under 23.

It’s a great move. With the professional care these guys get. His daily routine up till the season start should look something like this:

Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner prepared by nutritious

1 hour warm up and stretch session with trainer

2 hour workout combination of drills and fundamentals

1 hour of cardio. Integrate pool sessions to mitigate stress on body

1 hour cool down including stretch season with trainer.

Deep tissue massage 3 times per week.

Posture and movement correction 3 times per week.

The pelicans have the time right now to get Zion in shape and on the right path. Let’s hope they take advantage.

Pelicans Kind of a two edged sword

Quote Originally Posted by 8th_ward View Post
    AD learned and made connections from/with other NBA players(James, Paul,etc...) during the FIBA games. We don't need this to happen to this young man as it did to AD. While the experience may be good for him it depends on what experience he is getting.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Did anyone watch the Olympics i think it was AD's rookie year? Watched every game, I think AD got 11 minutes at the end of a win. Zion is not missing anything other than meeting the players. He will be more prepared to play Pelicans basketball to start the season now.

Thread Information