Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Talent?!?!

Too Much Talent?!?!

While I think this is a great 'problem' to have, it nonetheless could be problematic.

Here is an interesting read from 24/7 Sports:

https://247sports.com/Article/David-...art-133717363/
    February 11, 2024

"The Day...Pelicans Roost...DIED."

RIP Pelicans Roost

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm not sure how the roster is both loaded and unbalanced. And they say it's an actual problem without specifying it. I mean, it's just about minutes. Are we deeper than the Raptors were? Or Golden State? The top 8 players on the roster will be pretty clear. Jrue, Zion, Ingram, JJ, Redick, Favors, Okafor, and likely this Melli guy. The other 5 guys will get minutes based on matchups. I mean, we have a huge staff now, those analytics guys have to be scouting everyone else and figuring out which is the optimal lineups. NAW and Hayes will get minutes where they can, but they'll spend a lot of time as healthy DNPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm not sure how the roster is both loaded and unbalanced. And they say it's an actual problem without specifying it. I mean, it's just about minutes. Are we deeper than the Raptors were? Or Golden State? The top 8 players on the roster will be pretty clear. Jrue, Zion, Ingram, JJ, Redick, Favors, Okafor, and likely this Melli guy. The other 5 guys will get minutes based on matchups. I mean, we have a huge staff now, those analytics guys have to be scouting everyone else and figuring out which is the optimal lineups. NAW and Hayes will get minutes where they can, but they'll spend a lot of time as healthy DNPs.
    Not totally sold on Melli yet, though they wouldn't be bringing him over from Europe just to sit him, would they? On the other hand, Hart, Moore, and Jackson will all be active at the start of the season in my opinion. So what to do with.....

….Miller
    ….Williams
    ….NAW
    ….Hayes

That's four players for likely one spot on the active roster.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Not totally sold on Melli yet, though they wouldn't be bringing him over from Europe just to sit him, would they? On the other hand, Hart, Moore, and Jackson will all be active at the start of the season in my opinion. So what to do with.....

….Miller
    ….Williams
    ….NAW
    ….Hayes

That's four players for likely one spot on the active roster.
    Where do you think Jackson gets minutes?

He's not going to play over Jrue, Lonzo, Redick, Moore, or Hart. Do you think we run 6 guards in the rotation or something?
    Basketball.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    You are also speaking about a "problem" that only lasts a portion of the season. A couple of these guys will be traded before the end of the regular season.

Well in order for a problem to exist, the perceived problem needs to be accurate. This blog is not.

First it's NAW, not NWA. Second NAW will primarily be backup point, so I'd swap he and Jackson on that depth chart. Also Hart will probably back up Ingram at the 3.

Then Jackson and Williams don't need to see the floor unless there is injury or some "load management" going on. That's a really good thing. Not because either of them suck, but they are good players that may not be able to find minutes. That is an excellent problem to have.

As far as Hayes, I see him getting a few NBA minutes early, then off to PA, then back with the team later to collect DNPs. Again, excellent problem. You do not rush young developing talent like that.

Rookie
    Well you know the old adage, "if you have two starting quarterbacks you don't have any." As fans, we see roster depth as a positive, and it should be. However, if you have too much depth because you don't have enough talent that can dominate the minutes, then that would indeed be a "problem." So if guys like Lonzo, Ingram and Zion set the world on fire, then our roster depth will prove to be a major advantage. But if those guys are pedestrian in their minutes, they will be splitting more and more playing time and that's not good depth, but rather poor play at the top of the roster.

The key here is to take the opportunity to turn our number of assets into a higher quality asset.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socbe7 View Post
    Well you know the old adage, "if you have two starting quarterbacks you don't have any." As fans, we see roster depth as a positive, and it should be. However, if you have too much depth because you don't have enough talent that can dominate the minutes, then that would indeed be a "problem." So if guys like Lonzo, Ingram and Zion set the world on fire, then our roster depth will prove to be a major advantage. But if those guys are pedestrian in their minutes, they will be splitting more and more playing time and that's not good depth, but rather poor play at the top of the roster.
    That only works for quarterbacks because how important that position is and that only one of them can play at a time, so if one isn't a clear favorite over the other, you can have a problem. Going several positions deep elsewhere on the field is NOT a bad thing. I mean, your whole premise is based on an "if" statement. But "if" the opposite is true and Zion, Zo or Zingram are global arsonists, then we have nothing to worry about like you said.

Also Miller and Moore dont need to see the floor much either. They are on the roster for other future purposes. That opposite situation where players try to control their own destiny.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The starting 5 seems pretty clear cut

1 - Lonzo
    2 - Jrue
    3 - Ingram
    4 -Zion
    5 - Favors

I'd expect JJ Reddick to receive the most minutes of anyone off the bench, and he's a natural shooting guard. That makes me think Hart and Moore will compete for minutes as the backup wing even though we have Miller, while NAW and Jackson compete for minutes as backup PG. The Pelicans will be relying on Melli for a good chunk of minutes as backup PF, and Okafor as backup C (Hayes inactive unless there is an injury to one of the bigs).

The Pelicans do have enough backcourt players that they could trade away someone, people seem to want to get rid of Moore but I like him a lot as a 3 and D guy.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    The starting 5 seems pretty clear cut

1 - Lonzo
    2 - Jrue
    3 - Ingram
    4 -Zion
    5 - Favors

I'd expect JJ Reddick to receive the most minutes of anyone off the bench, and he's a natural shooting guard. That makes me think Hart and Moore will compete for minutes as the backup wing even though we have Miller, while NAW and Jackson compete for minutes as backup PG. The Pelicans will be relying on Melli for a good chunk of minutes as backup PF, and Okafor as backup C (Hayes inactive unless there is an injury to one of the bigs).

The Pelicans do have enough backcourt players that they could trade away someone, people seem to want to get rid of Moore but I like him a lot as a 3 and D guy.

moore is not going anywhere soon...he will be in the rotation because he is a player gentry trust...

i dont think melli come here if he didnt get a guarantee that he will get mins.......if melli knee is a problem long term then i see us trading someone for a vet backup PF.......

I don't see how Moore gets in the rotation when the top 3 guards off the bench would seem to be Redick, NAW, and Hart, barring injury or poor play out of those 3.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I don't see how Moore gets in the rotation when the top 3 guards off the bench would seem to be Redick, NAW, and Hart, barring injury or poor play out of those 3.
    it seems like moore and NAW are the 2 players posters disagree on.....i dont see NAW in the rotation....i just dont see gentry going with the rookie over moore.......i think posters are forgetting gentry is trying to get another contract also and want to make the playoffs.......maybe NAW beat jackson out,,idk......i just dont see gentry going with 3 rookies on a team this deep with vets that know his system........either way its a good problem to have....

moore was a starter last season and was solid...i just dont see him getting completely kicked off of the scoring sheet....he is a 3 and D guy that know how to play also...

If NAW displays anywhere close to the play and desicion making he showed in the SL with the big dogs, there is no way he sits. There are no other guards on the team with his potential facilitating and defensive skills. And it's not like he still needs to grow physically. Like Zion his frame is NBA ready. The fact that NAW is a rookie doesn't matter.

Moore has played out of position due to lack of depth. That is no longer the case. I can't see the team trading for Hart only to place him deep on the depth chart. He is also more physically adept to play the 2 and 3 and is also a good shooter. He has potential to be a better 3 and D guy than Moore while being younger and cheaper.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore is no longer on the roster come October.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-19-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If NAW displays anywhere close to the play and desicion making he showed in the SL with the big dogs, there is no way he sits. There are no other guards on the team with his potential facilitating and defensive skills. And it's not like he still needs to grow physically. Like Zion his frame is NBA ready. The fact that NAW is a rookie doesn't matter.

Moore has played out of position due to lack of depth. That is no longer the case. I can't see the team trading for Hart only to place him deep on the depth chart. He is also more physically adept to play the 2 and 3 and is also a good shooter. He has potential to be a better 3 and D guy than Moore while being younger and cheaper.

If you’re talking about 3 an D, isn’t Moore better than Hart in both categories?

If there's a trade coming, it probably won't be until after 12/15 when this summer's free agents start to be eligible for trades...note the recent positive comments about Moore from Griff, that's your sign that he'll be around at least for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    If you’re talking about 3 an D, isn’t Moore better than Hart in both categories?
    I used the word "potentially". Josh Hart is about to start his 3rd season. Moore is a veteran. If they really wanted to give Moore minutes, then they wouldn't have gone after Reddick, or not taken on Hart, or added another team to trade Hart to.

Given this teams trajectory and whos on the roster, I'd be shocked if Moore lasts the season on this roster of even plays much.

As a person who still views Dell Demps in a positive light (I love Griffin, love where we are, and wouldn't change things), I think his biggest downfall was injuries. He took over an abysmal franchise and, even after Asik Gate, turned this bottom dweller into perennial mediocrity. That mediocrity would have been consistent playoff ventures had it not been for all of the injuries. An insane amount of injuries.

Now, we have a new training/med staff, but injuries happen. This loaded team with not enough time to spread around can easily become depleted if we trade two guys and then have two injuries.

Man. Don't even look at just the Pelicans. Every year the Warriors won a championship, their biggest rivals had massive injuries.....CP3....Kyrie....even us when we played them. Any time the Warriors lost the finals they had injuries. I don't think you can have a team too deep in this league. Especially if we keep the environment fun.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I used the word "potentially". Josh Hart is about to start his 3rd season. Moore is a veteran. If they really wanted to give Moore minutes, then they wouldn't have gone after Reddick, or not taken on Hart, or added another team to trade Hart to.

Given this teams trajectory and whos on the roster, I'd be shocked if Moore lasts the season on this roster of even plays much.
    His trade value might be improved with playing time though.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    His trade value might be improved with playing time though.
    He's shot 43% from 3 and 50% on fg the last 2 years.

If there was such a thing as selling high this is it.

I agree. I feel like Moore is one of that group of players whose value is established, and is unlikely to go up significantly or drop significantly through the course of half a season. He'd have to put up literally the best three month stretch of his career by a large margin to boost his profile by any notable amount. He's a shooter who doesn't shoot massively high volume but can be relied upon to hit 40%, has a decent floater, and isn't a complete nothing on defense. That's it, that's what he is, he's 30 so he's not likely to improve much, and his role will be the same pretty much everywhere. Can't boost the trade value on that kind of player very much.

With all this new found depth, how lit will the open practice be this year.. They might charge regular season prices for it.

In the offseason, sure...in January/February if he's been sitting on the bench all year? Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I agree. I feel like Moore is one of that group of players whose value is established, and is unlikely to go up significantly or drop significantly through the course of half a season. He'd have to put up literally the best three month stretch of his career by a large margin to boost his profile by any notable amount. He's a shooter who doesn't shoot massively high volume but can be relied upon to hit 40%, has a decent floater, and isn't a complete nothing on defense. That's it, that's what he is, he's 30 so he's not likely to improve much, and his role will be the same pretty much everywhere. Can't boost the trade value on that kind of player very much.
    It's more about not losing his trade value as opposed to boosting it.

Thread Information