Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roster Set (?)

Roster Set (?)

Josh Martin: Griffin says that once Darius Miller is re-signed, the roster will stand at 15 and he doesn’t anticipate any changes. Says he’s really excited about the roster. 23 hours ago – via Twitter LonzoWire

He said that in the Ingram/Ball/Favors/Hart press conference. Said that barring anything unforeseen coming up, the 15 guys we have is what we will go into the season with.
    Basketball.

My lineup projection:

PG: Ball/NAW/Jackson
    SG: Holiday/Redick (6th man)/Moore
    SF: Ingram/Hart/Miller
    PF: Williamson/Melli/Williams
    C: Favors/Hayes/Okafor

most minutes barring injury by the end of the season...

1. Holiday
    2. Ingram
    3. Williamson
    4. Redick
    5. Ball
    6. Favors
    7. Hart
    8. NAW
    9. Melli
    10. Hayes
    11. Miller
    12. Okafor
    13. Moore
    14. Williams
    15. Jackson
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-17-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    My lineup projection:

PG: Ball/NAW/Jackson
    SG: Holiday/Redick (6th man)/Moore
    SF: Ingram/Hart/Miller
    PF: Williamson/Melli/Williams
    C: Favors/Hayes/Okafor

most minutes barring injury...

1. Holiday
    2. Ingram
    3. Williamson
    4. Redick
    5. Ball
    6. Favors
    7. Hart
    8. NAW
    9. Melli
    10. Hayes
    11. Miller
    12. Okafor
    13. Moore
    14. Williams
    15. Jackson
    Looks reasonable. Not sure how quickly Melli gets into the lineup. I would think, at least initially, that Okafor gets more minutes than Hayes.

Any concern that Ball is still "one or two" weeks away from starting to work out from an ankle injury he sustained in January? Seems like an awfully long time to be on the shelf. Recall, he wanted to get surgery back in February but the Lakers' brass wouldn't let him. Just a brief recap...

Lonzo Ball traveled to Ohio in late February to potentially go through with a procedure on his injured ankle, pushed by Foster, a source familiar with the situation told The Athletic. The family had experience with the doctor who would perform the procedure as he had also operated on LiAngelo Ball, the source said.

The Lakers found out about Ball’s situation when Lonzo Ball called General Manager Rob Pelinka, and the organization informed him that they would not allow it and could void his contract if he went through with the procedure, sources said. The Lakers then arranged transportation to bring Ball home, sources said. This could have been a disastrous moment for the Lakers, with a core player potentially undergoing a procedure that could have blindsided the organization. But Johnson and Lakers General Manager Rob Pelinka communicated with those around Lonzo, working with his then-agent Harrison Gaines to squash the procedure and bring him back to Los Angeles, sources around the team with knowledge of the situation said. Gaines declined to comment when reached by phone.

Johnson and Pelinka then accompanied Ball to his doctor appointments to ensure the guard was back on track with the Lakers’ rehab regimen, league sources said. Sources around the Lakers say Johnson frequently spent time around his players, such as Brandon Ingram and Ball, during times they were undergoing medical recovery. Ball suffered grade 3 ankle sprain on Jan. 19 and would ultimately miss the remainder of the season.

Ball, meanwhile, has since shuffled those around him by hiring Creative Artists Agency to represent him. He filed a lawsuit against Foster alleging in excess of $2 million in damages.
    Last edited by new city champ; 07-17-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Looks reasonable. Not sure how quickly Melli gets into the lineup. I would think, at least initially, that Okafor gets more minutes than Hayes.
    I was just thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think Hayes and NAW have too much potential to keep off the floor for long. Okafor is a solid offensive center who is not a great defender or transition player. His weaknesses are areas in which Hayes excels and are more important to our team philosophy. Okafor, Miller, and Moore, are all solid 1-year depth pieces that provide injury insurance. I don’t think any of those guys get re-signed next year.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I'm just curious who's gonna be getting DNPs? This roster's pretty deep, they're not all gonna play.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I'm just curious who's gonna be getting DNPs? This roster's pretty deep, they're not all gonna play.
    You are right. By rule, three won't even dress out
    February 11, 2024

"The Day...Pelicans Roost...DIED."

RIP Pelicans Roost

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think Hayes and NAW have too much potential to keep off the floor for long. Okafor is a solid offensive center who is not a great defender or transition player. His weaknesses are areas in which Hayes excels and are more important to our team philosophy. Okafor, Miller, and Moore, are all solid 1-year depth pieces that provide injury insurance. I don’t think any of those guys get re-signed next year.
    What i would say is Hayes is also rough about the edges as well. We have the luxury to allow Hayes time to work behind some vets before he takes a bigger role in the offense. Besides he also needs time to get his NBA legs under him. Those minutes he was playing in SL was burning him down so he needs time to get his conditioning up as well. I would expect favors to carry a heavier load and Okafor and Hayes sharing time more often then not....well see.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You are right. By rule, three won't even dress out
    what is the rule?

edit: so found this on nba.com > Each NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players, 13 of which can be active each game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    what is the rule?
    You can only dress 12 players out for a game.

I decided to buy 2k19(2k16 was my last one and they turned off the servers) on PC. Downloaded an updated roster. Game is sweet at 4k/Ultra settings with 60+ fps.

I will say... Hayes is a freaking cheat code with a 74 overall. 2K19 really doesn't illustrate Zion strength well. So, his lack of size gets him eaten up a lot when he should be a bowling ball. It's weird.

I feel like an interesting line up would be

Jrue
    REDDICK
    Zion
    Hayes
    FAVORS

I wouldn't want Hayes being a rim protector against elite guards. He'll have 5 fouls in 10 minutes, but I like his shoot blocking and when he's more confident in his 10ft jumper... I'd like for him to be used in space at the 4.

I think that line up is a year away, tho. We have a lot of like up versatility, but the ceiling for that line up looks like a 4 seed at best till Zion and Hayes developed into their natural positions and hopefully reached their potential. It doesn't even include NAW, Zo, Ingram... We are definitely stupid deep.

I would say besides Jrue... Expect minutes to be all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I wouldn't want Hayes being a rim protector against elite guards. He'll have 5 fouls in 10 minutes, but I like his shootI would say besides Jrue... Expect minutes to be all over the place.
    Assuming his health, Ball MAY play even more than Holiday. The chasm between #1 and #2 at point guard is that deep and JJ and Hart will get some minutes in lieu of Holiday.

per NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement:

ARTICLE XXIX
    MISCELLANEOUS
    Section 1. Active Roster Size.
    Each Team agrees to have twelve (12) or thirteen (13) players on its Active List and to have a minimum of eight (8) players on the bench for all Regular Season games. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any Team may from time to time as appropriate, but for no more than two (2) consecutive weeks at a time during the Regular Season, have eleven (11) players on its Active List. During the period from the day following the last day of the Regular Season (or, for Teams that qualify for the playoffs, the day following the Team’s last playoff game), until the day before the first day of the following Regular Season, the maximum number of players (including Two-Way Players) that a Team may carry on its Active List shall be twenty (20). Players on the Inactive List shall be transferred to the Active List on the day following the last day of the Regular Season (or, for Teams that qualify for the playoffs, the day following the Team’s last playoff game).

Assuming his health, Ball MAY play even more than Holiday. The chasm between #1 and #2 at point guard is that deep and JJ and Hart will get some minutes in lieu of Holiday.
    I think with the Reddick signing.. Jrue will probably split the 1 with Zo to get Jrue and Reddick on the floor at the same time to create the most floor spacing. .

Im kind of worried about not having enough minutes to keep everyone happy.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I feel NAW and Hayes are likely candidates. Especially early on. But I think it'll fluxuate between Kenrich Williams and E'Twan Moore, unless we trade him before then.

I think with the Reddick signing.. Jrue will probably split the 1 with Zo to get Jrue and Reddick on the floor at the same time to create the most floor spacing. .

WINNING keeps everyone happy.

Can't argue with that. Which leaves Hart, Jackson, Moore, and NAW what?
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-17-2019 at 04:47 PM.

It's a difficult situation to envisage.

The only thing I'm confident in saying is that Hart will very probably pick up at least some minutes as a small-ball 3, and therefore his minutes at the 2 might be a little lower than expected, and that Jackson shouldn't play, really at all.

Idk... Reddick isn't a bench player. Dude averages 30 minutes a game for the last 7 seasons. I can see him averaging 22-25 minutes with us.

So, if Jrue getting the 34 minutes. He'll probably split about 17 minutes between both. So, it only leaves about 6 minutes for a SG bench player to work with to be honest..

Idk... Reddick isn't a bench player. Dude averages 30 minutes a game for the last 7 seasons. I can see him averaging 22-25 minutes with us.

So, if Jrue getting the 34 minutes. He'll probably split about 17 minutes between both. So, it only leaves about 6 minutes for a SG bench player to work with to be honest..
    It's perfectly possible to be a bench player and still average 25-30 minutes a night. Just ask Lou Williams and Manu Ginobili.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Redick can get a valuable 6th man for us.

Ingram is the more important player long term. I doubt he'll just kindly accept a bench role because we want more 3pt shooting in the starting lineup.

Jackson, Williams and Melli appear to be likely candidates to not dress out

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    Jackson, Williams and Melli appear to be likely candidates to not dress out
    So you are going to roll the dice and dress out three rookies?

NOTE: They didn't bring Melli in from overseas to just sit on the bench wearing street clothes. He may end up being there, but he won't start off there.

Thread Information