Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Christian Wood Waived

Christian Wood Waived

Per Shams.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Bigby must have made the team? Or maybe a surprise keeper like Dawkins?
    Nope. The team is full without either of them.
    Basketball.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nope. The team is full without either of them.
    For some reason I thought we weren’t at max until I looked at the roster. That’s why I deleted my post.

For some reason I thought we weren’t at max until I looked at the roster. That’s why I deleted my post.
    Fair enough, I must have opened to page just in time to see your post a second before you deleted it. No worries.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Jrue Holiday
    Lonzo Ball
    Frank Jackson
    Nickeil Alexander-Walker
    Josh Hart
    E’Twaun Moore
    JJ Redick
    Brandon Ingram
    Kenrich Williams
    Darius Miller
    Zion Williamson
    Nicolo Melli
    Jahlil Okafor
    Derrick Favors
    Jaxson Hayes

That really stinks. I am sure they are doing it to give him a chance to catch on with a guaranteed contract somewhere else. However, he showed a lot of promise in the little time he was here. He's a guy who averaged 17/8 with 1.3 blocks in only 24 minutes per game. I would have liked them to at least bring him to camp.

Jrue Holiday
    Lonzo Ball
    Frank Jackson
    Nickeil Alexander-Walker
    Josh Hart
    E’Twaun Moore
    JJ Redick
    Brandon Ingram
    Kenrich Williams
    Darius Miller
    Zion Williamson
    Nicolo Melli
    Jahlil Okafor
    Derrick Favors
    Jaxson Hayes
    Being 15 players deep is nice...

That’s what she said...

So this is where we're at right now

Edit: why am I always just a minute too late with this stuff?

I hope Melli is worth cutting Wood and the money he got

Really don't like the depth there.
    If Favors or Okafor get injured who's taking that spot?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    I hope Melli is worth cutting Wood and the money he got
    Exactly.

I think it was a little deeper then roster slots granted we are maxing out atm. I remember when they asked the coaches about him they said something about contract talks. Maybe they couldn't come to some agreement so that kinda put the ball in motion....just speculating.

I'm trusting Langdon and Griff. If they think this is the right move, then I'm just going to wait and see.

Also consider that this could be a mutual separation. We heard from Oleh Kosel and others that the reason Wood wasn't playing in SL was because of negotiations between him and the front office. It may be the case that Wood wanted his deal guaranteed (which was the rumour going around) and that the team was not a fan of doing that at this point. In that case, it could easily be the case that they decided mutually to part ways in order to give Wood a chance of getting a guaranteed deal with another team elsewhere.

Wood was good for us, he played well in the minutes he got. He didn't project to be a star, but he looked perfectly capable as a backup big off the bench who could soak up minutes and be productive in his time. Sucks to see him go, but someone had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Really don't like the depth there.
    If Favors or Okafor get injured who's taking that spot?
    I mean we can't go into the season with 4 people who's main spot is Center.

Favors, Okafor, Hayes, Wood is simply too many centers.

I will also note that, obviously it depends on what kind of lineups we would run, but Wood was not likely to get more than 10 or 15 minutes a game anyway, given the team's general run and gun style being more fit for medium sized lineups and the possibility of Zion playing smallball 5.

Griff said in the SL interview that they had initially planned to redshirt Hayes for this first season, but that he had impressed everyone at Summer League and in practices and that it would be hard to keep him benched all year. He also said that we shouldn't expect Hayes to play much, especially early in the season.

Given that, it could easily be that the decision of who to cut kinda got made for them when Hayes showed out in SL. Those 8, 10, maybe 15 minutes Wood may have gotten could easily go to Hayes instead, and while he wouldn't be as productive from day one, he's obviously a much better long term investment.

I never veiwed 220 lb Wood as a center. His skill set is the exact definition of a stretch 4.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I never veiwed 220 lb Wood as a center. His skill set is the exact definition of a stretch 4.
    Except that he could never really shoot consistently. He shot 28% from 3 in his G League career, and only 31% across his 51 NBA games played, including only 28.6% in his 8 games with us.

That ''stretch'' aspect is important for a stretch 4.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I suppose that Melli made wood expendable, but now only have 2 of

How insane is it that if that deep bench lineup of

Jackson/Moore/Miller/Kenny Hustle/Hayes

Could actually have been a lineup we used over the past few years, and it wouldn't have been odd. Like, during the time that we were running through 10 day contracts and G League guys, that lineup would have been much better than some of the groups we ACTUALLY ran. Now that's our deep bench.

What?

C: D-Fav, Hayes, Okafor
    PF: Zion, Melli, Kenrich
    SF: Ingram, Moore/Hart, Miller
    SG: Redick, NAW, Moore/Hart
    PG: Jrue, Lonzo, Jackson

I’m still listing this as our depth chart till I see what happens come the season. I think it puts our 10 best players, depending on Nico, on the court the most. Unless we are willing to let NAW be our backup point guard as a rookie which he has shown capable & at times needing more time IMO. Right now I give him the edge over Moore & Hart in the second team cause he has shown more talent than both of them in my eyes. Then it should be a battle between Moore & Hart for that backup small forward spot cause I think both should be in there over Miller at this point. Unless we move Moore and add us an experienced backup point guard which I think would be the best move at this point. Until that happens I’m keeping Jrue & JJ in our starting lineup.

I thought we would likely keep Wood over Kenrich since he’s quite small for the power forward position at like 6’7” 210 lbs, but he’s likely gained some pounds from whenever that weight I see on most sites was taken. In today’s NBA though you can get away with a smaller sized power forward though and we might see Brandon Ingram play there as a small ball 4 as well. IMO a Lonzo, Jrue, JJ, Ingram, & Zion lineup would likely be our 5 best players & could be extremely fun to watch in some really small minute spurts. I just hope Nico Melli is ready to give us the minutes needed as our likely 3rd or 4th big man.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    What?

C: D-Fav, Hayes, Okafor
    PF: Zion, Melli, Kenrich
    SF: Ingram, Moore/Hart, Miller
    SG: Redick, NAW, Moore/Hart
    PG: Jrue, Lonzo, Jackson

I’m still listing this as our depth chart till I see what happens come the season. I think it puts our 10 best players, depending on Nico, on the court the most. Unless we are willing to let NAW be our backup point guard as a rookie which he has shown capable & at times needing more time IMO. Right now I give him the edge over Moore & Hart in the second team cause he has shown more talent than both of them in my eyes. Then it should be a battle between Moore & Hart for that backup small forward spot cause I think both should be in there over Miller at this point. Unless we move Moore and add us an experienced backup point guard which I think would be the best move at this point. Until that happens I’m keeping Jrue & JJ in our starting lineup.

I thought we would likely keep Wood over Kenrich since he’s quite small for the power forward position at like 6’7” 210 lbs, but he’s likely gained some pounds from whenever that weight I see on most sites was taken. In today’s NBA though you can get away with a smaller sized power forward though and we might see Brandon Ingram play there as a small ball 4 as well. IMO a Lonzo, Jrue, JJ, Ingram, & Zion lineup would likely be our 5 best players & could be extremely fun to watch in some really small minute spurts. I just hope Nico Melli is ready to give us the minutes needed as our likely 3rd or 4th big man.

lol i got to give it to you...you are hardheaded but consistent lol.....

it dont matter to you that the coach said jrue is better at off guard lol......it also dont matter to you that jrue said he is better at off guard and list the reason why........after hearing it from the player mouth, you still go against the grain and put jrue as the starting PG in your lineup lol....

I think the writing was on the wall here. Once Frank got guaranteed, the last man out came down to Chris, Kenrich, or (outside chance) Jah.

And even though I think Wood has higher potential than Kenrich, this team has a bunch of good prospects we are trying to develop, including two younger bigs in Jah and Hayes.

Kenrich is close to the perfect 10th or 11th man in any rotation. He's a good team and individual defender who can credibly guard both forward positions and switch some onto bigger and smaller players, a very good rebounder and pretty good passer, a plausible-enough shooter to not be completely left alone, and he has absolute consistency of effort to try to get 50/50 balls, cut off ball, take charges, hit the offensive boards, and make the extra pass whether he takes 1 shot or 10. He's not flashy and his skillset probably tops out at a good role player. But I think what he brings to the table has real value. And while he's a young(ish) player, he's a low maintenance guy who understands his role on the team and won't be a developmental guy you have to teach to play basketball and give developmental minutes at the same time you are trying to develop Brandon, Lonzo, Zion, Jaxson, NAW, and Frank.

I think Wood is an NBA player, and maybe could even be a starter at some point, but think that team was unlikely to be New Orleans after the draft we just had and think this is the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    lol i got to give it to you...you are hardheaded but consistent lol.....

it dont matter to you that the coach said jrue is better at off guard lol......it also dont matter to you that jrue said he is better at off guard and list the reason why........after hearing it from the player mouth, you still go against the grain and put jrue as the starting PG in your lineup lol....
    Also doesn't matter to him that Jrue started at SG for both of the last two years, alongside Rondo and Payton.

Jrue will start at the 2. Gentry apparently loves Lonzo: Lonzo will start. It's fine if you don't like that and would prefer it to be different, but that's how it will be.

Basketball Guru
    zion,,okafor,,melli and favors will be the active bigs........i think favors will have a year like randle had in this offense with his extended mins and praying that melli have a niko type of season....

Thread Information