Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductory Press Conference: Ingram, Lonzo, Hart, and Favors.

Hart in the red!
    Basketball.

Looking good. Everyone smiling!

How do you find the presser I don’t see a link I’m looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is here (although showing "off air" right now.

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/pelicans-live-stream

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    How do you find the presser I don’t see a link I’m looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not live yet. When it is, it will be on their twitter page: https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA

There we go, just a little secondary confirmation

STREAM ACTIVE, GUYS AT THE TABLE. LET'S GO.

Griff starts off by recognising multiple members of the front office, as well as BI and Zo's agent for helping ''land the plane'' on such a large and complicated trade. He names a bunch of them, attorneys, cap experts. Adds that Mrs Benson was extremely involved throughout, as was Gentry, and that this was ''something that was a really important effort us''.

Thanks Pelinka and Zanik for dealing with the Pels in a ''fair'' way, and said that ''everybody was very mindful of the sensitivity'' of the situation.

''Derrick is somebody that going back to my time in Cleveland we had always had a great deal of affinity for.'' Adds that he had always seen Derrick as a center but was playing behind Gobert, and said that ''a lot of Derrick's game was left untouched, particularly offensively. He's a special defensive player: he's an elite rim protector, and we think he can do the same things offensively.''

Griff mentions Lonzo's elite vision and passing. ''This group here, on the dais, myself excluded, are very elite defensively. [...] our games are going to be the first team to 95.''

''Lonzo is a truly special defensive guard. He's also a special rebounding guard, and that's going to enable us to start our break and play to our strengths in a way that he perhaps wasn't able to play to before. I feel that same way about Brandon. Both Lonzo and Brandon have had issues with injures that have derailed them. People have such high expectations and they want it to happen so quickly.''

Griff goes over fit again. Talks about the coaching staff getting along with the players. ''Josh is someone who, like Brandon, has a lot of untouched upside.''

Mentions lineup versatility. ''I haven't had the opportunity to talk to a lot of players who were more direct with me than Josh was. Josh called me after the trade and said, ''I know you can get a lot for me, but whatever you do, don't trade me. I really wanna be in New Orleans.'' And that meant a lot to us, especially as we were trying to build this very different culture where players were equally as committed to us as we were to them.''

Mentions that Derrick could have chosen to go anywhere, and Utah was willing to accommodate that out of respect for him and his time with the Jazz, and Favors wanted to come to New Orleans. Griff says he recognised the fit with the team and Jrue, and wanted to come here.

What about the Pelicans offense intrigues you?

Zo: ''Getting back to playing the style I've been playing my whole life. I'm very comfortable in that high, up-tempo offense that Coach Gentry has, and I'm excited to running that to the best of my abilities.''

Favors: ''Like he [Griff] said, I was playing behind one of the best defensive players in the league and I wasn't able to show a lot of what I'm able to do, and when Griff told me that I had untapped offensive potential, I was excited to be a part of that. [...] I just thought it was a great fit for me.''

Favors says that yes, he can adapt, to Gentry's offense.

Josh asked what made New Orleans a place he wanted to be:

''I think it's an amazing place, where people want to go to work every day. And the talent we have here is amazing, that's why JJ wanted to come here, why Derrick wanted to come here, and this is something that you want to be a part of and that you wanna grow with. I thought that was an amazing opportunity and I didn't wanna let that slip.'' ''When you see greatness happening, you wanna be part of it''.

He adds, ''I'm probably gonna go get some beignets tonight, actually.''

Asked about his progress coming back from injury:

Ingram: ''I'm pretty close to resuming to normal workouts. I'm just doing some cardio stuff and just trying to get back.'' He added that he's been doing some shooting and some lower body exercises.

Lonzo: ''I'm probably going to be a week or two, then I'll be ready to go.''

Hart talks about helping Zion grow, learning and maturing in the league, but also notes that Jrue is one of the best 2 way players in hte league and wants to learn from him as well.

Leaving Utah, your teammates were upset to lose you because of how great a teammate you were. What do you bring to lockerroom?

Favors: ''I think out there we were just a tight knit group. Everybody worked hard, everybody respected everybody, and I hope I can bring that same mindset here. Sometimes you might have to sacrifice minutes or opportunities for the benefit of the team and I think that when everyone buys into that, that's how you come together and get tighter as a group and start winning more games. I'm hoping I can bring that mindset down here.''

Ingram looks like he is about to fall asleep.

Favors: ''I've known Jrue since high school actually, we played against each other a lot in AAU.''

Lonzo says he hasn't talked to Jrue a ton, but ''I'm real close with his brother, since we played together at UCLA, and I'm close with the family.''

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Ingram looks like he is about to fall asleep.
    In fairness, he always looks that way.

Griff talking a lot about our ''ancillary playmakers'', that is, a bunch of guys who can make plays and handle the ball. Describes the team as being something of a Swiss army knife on offense, with a lot of guys being able to present a lot of threats.

Hart: ''I'm just eager to pick up a basketball, period. I think the last time I actually picked up a basketball and played a game of basketball was in March, so every opportunity I get to work hard and get in the gym, to train my mind...''

Ingram: ''People were giving me good advice about the recovery from my surgery, so I just kept working hard, kept it going.''
    Ingram says that before the injury, ''I was finally comfortable playing basketball and doing what I could do in the gym before the games. It came easy.''

That's a good sign. Hopefully he's had a mental breakthrough there.

Lonzo on the defense: ''There's a lot of potential. All of those guys [that you named] are great defenders. I don't do a lot of talking, I let the game do the talking, but I think we can be one of the best defensive teams in the league.''

On parts of Lonzo's game that are hard to get from highlights:

Ingram: ''Where he is on the defensive end. The anticipation, the passes, just being in the right place in the right time. That doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but he's there for deflections, always helping the teammates out at the right time.''

Hart: ''I'll probably say the same. There was a clip last year from when we played Orlando, Zo literally guarded every player on that possession, all five guys.[described some of Lonzo's switching], you don't see that on the box score, but you don't see how hard he plays on the defensive end and how hard he plays in general. You have to really watch and appreciate the game to see that.''

''You can't dream big enough in this league. Why not us?'' - Griff.

Griff talking about practise. Says that there was a time in SL where Zion and Hayes were running the floor together in practice, and Griff says that just the speed those guys have together, even at just a medium trot, was ''mindnumbing''.

''I don't know that we're going to be a team that necessarily takes a whole bunch of threes, but we're gonna have wide open shots all over the court.''

Griff says that he doesn't really expect any real chances to the roster right now, and says ''we just feel really good about where we're at in terms of the human component of the roster''. Says that unless something unforeseen jumps out at them, that's it.

This was a Kentucky Locker Room. Now it's Duke. How good is that feeling, to have that group?

Ingram: ''Just a good family feel. You have guys at Duke that come back all the time to play pickup and give each other advice, so it's good to be back with some of the guys that I saw when I was at Duke and have the chance to really play basketball with those guys.

Very difficult to hear questions from the media.

What was it like as young guys having to deal with rumours and trade talks, and what's it like to have it done with?

Zo: ''I think it was tough being a young guy, especially in LA. We had a big responsibility there, but just growing up, being in the league 2 years you learn how to block it out. [...] It comes down to playing basketball. That's your job. Anything else is just extra.''

How are you appraoching being uprooted from LA, to somewhere so different?

Zo: ''Like I tell everyone, I'm excited. It's a new opportunity for me, with a fresh start. I get to come here with two guys I'm already accustomed too, and I'm just happy to get here and get back to playing basketball.

You've been underrated just like Jrue, your numbers have been excellent. How important is it as a big to show other young guys how to mature in this league:

Favors: ''You gotta know how to put in the work, be patient, and take advantage of every opportunity. Some games you're gonna play great some games you're not, but it's all about the next game, the next possession. Gotta keep working, improving, and just having a positive attitude towards it.''

...and so it begins. Lets goooo!!!!!!!

Looks like some smiles when holding up the jerseys!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Very difficult to hear questions from the media.
    Yeah, I'm just kinda paraphrasing what the questions seemed like from the first listen, and also working it out from the context of the answers. I might go back and listen over again to get things more accurate and catch anything I missed on this frist transcription. Bad audio levelling.

Lol ingram high as hell

Thread Information