Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let's Dance Trademarked

Let's Dance Trademarked

Last edited by Pels4Life; 06-26-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think Let's Dance is incredibly lame. But hey, ya'll do ya'll.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It's Zion's saying, so no, it is not.

I just think it’s a little odd because in movies it is often used in the context of two enemies about ready to fight. However, with the streets full of people partying and chanting Zion after he got drafted... the let’s dance phrase makes perfect sense. It’s almost like he’s saying .. let’s go get it and have some fun together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its perfect for this year's motto...replacing "do it big"

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I’d prefer, “Do the Dew” and just change our team to New Orleans Mountain Dew

...we get to go McDonalds
    For New Orleans, it’s perfect. One of two places where I’ve seen people dance for no reason on a midday Saturday in the street.

Other was Barcelona

I like the catch phrase.

I absolutely loathe that someone can trademark two words. **** the man.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Trademarking "Let's Dance" is as stupid as trademarking your uni-brow.

It's not lame at all.

Best Pelz slogan in years. The thing I like most about it is that Zion thought of it when he was put on the spot about sending a message to Pelz fans at Draft Fest. I like slogans that arise organically.

I thoroughly enjoy engaging those who make condescending remarks such as these.

Care to expound upon why you view the phrase as “lame”?

Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy engaging those who make condescending remarks such as these.

Care to expound upon why you view the phrase as “lame”?

This is basketball, not West Side Story or La La Land.

And expressing an opinion you disagree with isn't condescending. Saying people who don't share my opinion are lame and they should get over it, would be condescending.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Would you prefer Go Go Gadget Zion?

It's a phrase Zion said. Wasn't meant to be a rallying cry...which is why it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Would you prefer Go Go Gadget Zion?

It's a phrase Zion said. Wasn't meant to be a rallying cry...which is why it's perfect.
    It would be perfect if was just left at " a phrase Zion said". Turning it into a rallying cry that folks rushed out to trademark so it could be marketed and profited off of is the opposite of perfect, in my opinion.

It would be perfect if was just left at " a phrase Zion said". Turning it into a rallying cry that folks rushed out to trademark so it could be marketed and profited off of is the opposite of perfect, in my opinion.
    In a vacuum I would agree with you, but people latched onto it and were repeating it regularly. Someone was going to use it for profit and marketing, so it might as well be Zion that gets paid.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    David Bowie (rest his soul) would approve...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I like the catch phrase.

I absolutely loathe that someone can trademark two words. **** the man.
    That's my view as well. I think it's a solid, fitting catch phrase that came out of a nice, natural moment. But the idea that a two word phrase, especially one that existed prior to you even being born, can become your ''intellectual property'' is beyond a joke.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    In a vacuum I would agree with you, but people latched onto it and were repeating it regularly. Someone was going to use it for profit and marketing, so it might as well be Zion that gets paid.
    I agree with that too. No real reason for the team to trademark it. It's something Zion said, him saying it is on camera, the catch-phrase is associated with him and if he ever left us (god forbid) then it would be weird and strange for us to keep using it when everyone knows that it came from him. Just let the man have his trademark, he'll obviously let the team use it, and let him profit off his moment*.

*In the circumstances where anyone profits, which nobody should, because being able totrademark a two word pre-existing phrase is stupid.

When someone says "Let's Dance" I immediately think of fight scenes. Some sort of 80s/90s martial arts scene. Definitely something comic book Wolverine would have said with a "bub" at the end. I'm sure it's been used in that manner many times. That's why it is so ridiculous it can be trademarked in this 1984 growing society but also why you know NM is just throwing stuff out there to troll.

This is basketball, not West Side Story or La La Land.

And expressing an opinion you disagree with isn't condescending. Saying people who don't share my opinion are lame and they should get over it, would be condescending.
    I don’t get the movie references as most high profile industries (like Nike and Just Do it) have slogans and/or tag lines. The Saints have Who Dat. This isn’t new.

Also, if you don’t understand the condescending tone of “y’all do you” when referring to the thing you want others to “do” as “lame”, then you might want to review the definition.

#letsdance

I still hate humanity for this.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I still hate humanity for this.
    Same.

Also, from the sounds of it, Zion's filed 14 trademark applications for Let's Dance.

I'm not very knowledgeable at all on U.S. trademarking law: is there any reason to file so many applications for one thing?

Thread Information