Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zion Out of Shape?

I am not sure how someone like Perkins got a job on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd agree, but Perks comments on The Jump over a week ago were some the earliest moments in this surge of criticism, so I'm not giving him that much of a benefit of the doubt on it.

Like I said, Zion is 420lbs. That's just it. Doesn't matter if he's actually 265, 285, or 310, he's 420lbs.
    425 pounds last time I checked.

Well for someone out of shape, he looked like the most athletic player on the court in his one & only summer league appearance. So just imagine after a couple months in camp with some of the best athletic trainers & nutritionists on the planet what he will look like once the real stuff hits the fan. I have no doubts that Zion will be just fine. My only fear is when he reaches 30+ when his metabolism isn’t the same for someone in their 20s, but who knows if he will still be here by then.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I am not sure how someone like Perkins got a job on TV.
    Not sure. The media loves trying to get ex-players on though, as if ex-players actually know more basketball than anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes they do. But in general, I compare it to musicians. There are plenty of musicians out there who are fantastic at playing their instrument, can play brilliantly, but who know next to nothing about theory and couldn't actually communicate what it is that they're doing. Similarly, there are plenty of musical theorists and composers who couldn't necessarily play everything they write on for so many different instruments, but who really understand the structure of music, and what's going on.

Players are very similar. Just because someone played basketball doesn't mean they actually know what they're talking about, just as there are plenty of legitimately well informed basketball experts who couldn't actually play at the level of their analysis. But the media doesn't care about that: they often think that just getting someone who played NBA basketball means they're on top of the analytics game. That's how you get Gilbert Arenas, Kendrick Perkins, Ryan Hollins, etc, all getting TV slots to talk about stuff that they clearly just don't understand on any meaningful level.
    Basketball.

I take all these ex-players commentary with a grain of salt cause most of them that actually try to run a NBA franchise fail miserably. For every Jerry West you have a ton of Isaiah Thomas’. Phil Jackson was a mediocre player, a great coach(but had the best talent), and was an extremely horrible GM. Even the best to ever do it IMO, Michael Jordan, hasn’t had the greatest track record running a franchise

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I take all these ex-players commentary with a grain of salt cause most of them that actually try to run a NBA franchise fail miserably. For every Jerry West you have a ton of Isaiah Thomas’. Phil Jackson was a mediocre player, a great coach(but had the best talent), and was an extremely horrible GM. Even the best to ever do it IMO, Michael Jordan, hasn’t had the greatest track record running a franchise
    Completely agree. The fact that you are good on the court at basketball doesn't actually mean that you have anything interesting or insightful to say about the building and maintaining of a franchise, coaching, development programs, analytics, or anything else. All it means is that you're good at basketball. If you're smart and observant, you may take stuff from that that DOES give you insight elsewhere, but it's no guarantee.

Like you said: Jerry West is an incredible executive. Michael Jordan is one of the worst executives in basketball. Basketball talent is no proof of anything other than basketball talent.

As a side note, I'm not sure why Perkins keeps pushing this. He's said this on twitter like four times, and said it on TV as well. He spent damn near his entire career overweight, regardless of what city he lived in. He was overweight and out of shape in Oklahoma City just as much as when he was in New Orleans. The fact that he found a way to be out of shape no matter where he lived says a lot more about him and his training regimen than it does about the city of New Orleans. Jrue's been working and living in New Orleans since 2013 and he's in absurd physical shape, because he's been disciplined with his diet and workout routines. Randle managed to stay in pretty good shape all year and that's despite having disastrous locker room drama going on, and no Aaron Nelson.

Maybe Perk should just stop talking.
    Apropos of not much, once saw Perk out for a neighborhood jog during the preseason when he was here.

Well... they ran the “Zion is out of shape and should not of played” story all day yesterday!

It feels like they are already trying to damage the teams relationship with Zion. They also cramped on airs saying that there is no way he can win the mvp because he plays for the Pelicans.

Such a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    Well... they ran the “Zion is out of shape and should not of played” story all day yesterday!

It feels like they are already trying to damage the teams relationship with Zion. They also cramped on airs saying that there is no way he can win the mvp because he plays for the Pelicans.

Such a joke.
    They mad.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Like someone on Twitter suggested, Griffin and Nelson should make sure Zion knows all about these reports.

I want him to post an image just before the season starts with him looking like a mound of basketball ready muscle

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post

Such a joke.

some of yall have to tell the whole truth on this site smh..........saying zion wont win rookie of the year is a good thing imo.....the whole context was that zion wont win rookie of the year because the pelicans are deep and wont have zion carrying the load....jrue,,ingram,,JJ and others will lead this team to wins and do alot of the heavy work load.......basically saying the pelicans are to deep and good to have zion win rookie of the year and it make sense.....

they were saying that morant or barrett may win ROY because they will be ask to carry the load or may be on bad teams to where they will have the green light to put up shots all game..........zion is in a better place because we have scorers on this team to where zion wont be ask to be the man and carry us........

now i heard alot of talking heads saying they believe zion wont win ROY but i didnt hear anyone say zion wont win MVP later down the road.......

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Like someone on Twitter suggested, Griffin and Nelson should make sure Zion knows all about these reports.

I want him to post an image just before the season starts with him looking like a mound of basketball ready muscle
    The same way that Randle did last year, where he just posted a random picture during training to show off his physique, Zion is gonna do in early September or something, and he's going to look like the Incredible Hulk. David Robinson 2.0: Bigger and bouncier.

Zion is not in NBA shape plain and simple. The kid is not fat so sitting next to Jackson and looking skinny doesn’t mean he’s in shape. The way his body type is he could absolutely have weight issues. I don’t see that being a problem at all especially with how advanced we are today in training. I have no problem that he took some time off from basketball to enjoy himself. Literally the next 15-20 years his life will revolve around basketball 24/7. He just had his birthday and turned 19 so if there ever was a time for him to relax and get a little out of basketball shape that’s the time to do it.

He now has the best in the business Aaron Nelson to mentor him on everything from his nutrition to conditioning. Zion will have a custom plan built for him that they alter along the way as the figure out what works best for him. The best thing to happen to this kid is all of the criticism he is taking right now on his weight and being out of shape while some are questioning if it will be a problem forever. Now they have finally given him something to light a little fire under his ... and put a chip on his shoulder. This kid is going to be a flat out beast who is shredded unlike any NBA athlete.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-16-2019 at 05:01 PM.

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't LeBron at 270 or 280 at one point? he was just jacked. I mean if why ppl the media or whatever are getting all nuts with it I mean he hasn't played since March and he didn't have to do the combine of course he's gonna be out of shape lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't LeBron at 270 or 280 at one point? he was just jacked. I mean if why ppl the media or whatever are getting all nuts with it I mean he hasn't played since March and he didn't have to do the combine of course he's gonna be out of shape lol

Yep, he was. I pointed it out earlier in the thread: during his time in Miami, Lebron was clearly much heavier than his listed 250lb weight and it was pretty common knowledge that he was walking around more like 270, 275. He looked good though because it was all muscle, and he had trimmed off all of the fat because Lebron was, as he always is, in absolutely fantastic physical condition.

Zion does need to lose weight, nobody is denying that. Again, for the fiftieth time in the thread: nobody is denying that Zion Williamson, #1 overall draft pick of the 2019 draft for the National Basketball Association, selected by the New Orleans Pelicans, is out of shape. Clear? So nobody needs to try and explain that he was out of shape during Summer League, right? Got it, thanks.

I also want to add, that Charles Barkley was recently asked about Zions weight, and while I can't remember his exact words, he said something like: ''I was fat. I know what fat looks like. He wasn't fat.''

So, take that for whatever you want.

Yep, he was. I pointed it out earlier in the thread: during his time in Miami, Lebron was clearly much heavier than his listed 250lb weight and it was pretty common knowledge that he was walking around more like 270, 275. He looked good though because it was all muscle, and he had trimmed off all of the fat because Lebron was, as he always is, in absolutely fantastic physical condition.

Zion does need to lose weight, nobody is denying that. Again, for the fiftieth time in the thread: nobody is denying that Zion Williamson, #1 overall draft pick of the 2019 draft for the National Basketball Association, selected by the New Orleans Pelicans, is out of shape. Clear? So nobody needs to try and explain that he was out of shape during Summer League, right? Got it, thanks.

I also want to add, that Charles Barkley was recently asked about Zions weight, and while I can't remember his exact words, he said something like: ''I was fat. I know what fat looks like. He wasn't fat.''

So, take that for whatever you want.
    no exactly he was out of shape but some are just acting like dude was on the verg on being on my 800lb life or whatever that ******** is lol

I would but I’m on my cell phone but if anybody can go find Julius Randles before and after photos of his transformation please post. In just one offseason over a couple of months Randle went from a pudgy big man to looking like a Greek God. Having Nelson is going to be one part of the phase in Zion reaching his full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I would but I’m on my cell phone but if anybody can go find Julius Randles before and after photos of his transformation please post. In just one offseason over a couple of months Randle went from a pudgy big man to looking like a Greek God. Having Nelson is going to be one part of the phase in Zion reaching his full potential.
    it's actually kinda crazy to think he could get even more explosive after they get him in NBA shape

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post

Three weeks of Julius Randle. It wasn't even months, so I highly doubt we need to worry at all about Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post

Three weeks of Julius Randle. It wasn't even months, so I highly doubt we need to worry at all about Zion.
    Damn he looks like he on steroids. Well he is not our problem anymore. Wait till they find out he don’t play defense either.

He doesn't look like he's on roids at all he doesn't have roid-gut, his pecs aren't puffy, his shoulder caps aren't bulging, his body fat isn't absurdly low (sub 5%), and his definition is obviously good but it's not roid-requiring good. He just looks like an extremely ripped guy with lots of time on his hands to work out, a personal trainer, and a nutritionist.

He doesn't look like he's on roids at all he doesn't have roid-gut, his pecs aren't puffy, his shoulder caps aren't bulging, his body fat isn't absurdly low (sub 5%), and his definition is obviously good but it's not roid-requiring good. He just looks like an extremely ripped guy with lots of time on his hands to work out, a personal trainer, and a nutritionist.
    This thread!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    This thread!
    This is the hard hitting analysis. You don't get this anywhere else

This is the hard hitting analysis. You don't get this anywhere else
    Should we make it a poll?

Lol he looks like he’s on a barbell and some salads

Thread Information