Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you rank the Western Conference as of today

How would you rank the Western Conference as of today

All the talk about the Pels fighting for a playoff spot had me feeling optimistic. It's early but I was wondering how realistic it is. The landscape of the Western Conference has changed quite a bit, but if I had to rank how I think the standings will look at the end of the season I think it'd go something like this.

1. Clippers
    2. Nuggets
    3. Jazz
    4. Rockets
    5. Lakers
    6. Blazers
    7. Spurs
    8. Warriors
    9. Pelicans
    10. Mavs
    11. Kings
    12. T'Wolves
    13. Thunder
    14. Grizzlies
    15. Suns

It also seems like there are some natural tiers were the teams are interchangeable:
    Tier 1: Clippers, Nuggets, Jazz
    Tier 2: Rockets, Lakers, Blazers
    Tier 3: Spurs, Warriors
    Tier 4: Kings, Pels, Mavs, T'Wolves? maybe?
    Tier 5: Thunder, Grizzlies, Suns
    #FREEQUAIL

Clippers
    Blazers
    Jazz
    Nuggets
    Rockets
    Warriors
    Pelicans
    Spurs
    TWolves
    Kings
    Lakers
    Thunder
    Grizz
    Suns

1. Clippers
    2. Lakers
    3. Nuggets
    4. Jazz
    5. Warriors
    6. Rockets
    7. Trailblazers
    8. Pelicans
    9. Spurs
    10. Kings
    11. Mavericks
    12. Thunder
    13. Timberwolves
    14. Suns
    15. Grizzlies

I get Lakers have LeBron and AD but the rest of their roster is trash
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

I have thought about this some over the last few days and I have found it almost impossible to make a strict 1-15 list. But using the tiers, I am fairly comfortable believing that a group of five should be locks to make the playoffs, six will battle for three remaining slots and four have no chance.

Tier 1: Rockets, Jazz, Nuggets, Blazers and Clippers
    Tier2: Kings, Mavs, Spurs, Lakers, Warriors, Pelicans
    Tier 3: Wolves, Grizzlies, Sun and Thunder

I keep moving the Timberwolves between the bottom two tiers, but I don’t really believe they have a realistic shot.

I get that obviously, injuries and chemistry and coaching play a huge role in these things, so these predictions could obviously change wildly as the season.

But just looking at rosters on paper, this is how I have it right now:

1) Clippers
    2) Jazz
    3) Nuggets
    4) Trailblazers
    5) Rockets
    6) Kings
    7) Lakers
    8) Pelicans
    9) Warriors
    10) Spurs
    11) Thunder
    12) Wolves
    13) Grizzlies
    14) Mavericks
    15) Suns

Some of this is depending. For example, I have the Mavs at 14 because I think Porzingis is going to come back rough from injury. If he comes back firing on all cylinders, then they could move up the list. I have the Thunder at 11 because I'm assuming they realise the need for a rebuild and maybe move Adams or something for assets, but if they move Westbrook they could easily fall. Lakers are 7th, but one major injury to AD or Lebron and they could fall out of the playoffs completely.

I could see the Grizz being a bad team this year but sneakily fun. Morant is going to be solid, I think JJJ takes a leap this year (although he was already excellent defensively) and I think Clarke is just an NBA ready player. They're going to be cool to watch.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I have thought about this some over the last few days and I have found it almost impossible to make a strict 1-15 list. But using the tiers, I am fairly comfortable believing that a group of five should be locks to make the playoffs, six will battle for three remaining slots and four have no chance.

I keep moving the Timberwolves between the bottom two tiers, but I don’t really believe they have a realistic shot.
    Mostly agree with this, with obvious caveats (I don't believe in the Mavs quite as much as you, for example). The tier system is the best way to do it, I think, because I agree that there are some teams who are guaranteed locks (Clips, Jazz, Nuggets) and then just a bunch of teams who COULD make it but maybe won't, like us, Spurs, Lakers, Kings....

I’m happy to see the downfall of the Warriors but IMO y’all rank them too low

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    The rankings are for standings, not "better team". Warriors will only have Curry and Green for the majority of the season. I think they see a huge drop in wins but if Klay comes back his normal self. let's say by March to be safe, they could upset someone in the first round of playoffs.

Same with Spurs, yes the talent has dropped off there. But coaching, infrastructure, and experience of excellence for years will count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    The rankings are for standings, not "better team". Warriors will only have Curry and Green for the majority of the season. I think they see a huge drop in wins but if Klay comes back his normal self. let's say by March to be safe, they could upset someone in the first round of playoffs.
    Russell is no scrub. He was voted to the all star game right? I am not a fan of pairing him with Curry but he is a very good player. I realize it could all fall apart for them but they deserve a bit more credit even if I dont like them

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    Same with Spurs, yes the talent has dropped off there. But coaching, infrastructure, and experience of excellence for years will count for something.
    I agree and they added decent veteran players who should play well under Pop

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post

This is pretty close to my take the only thing I'd probably do is move the Blazers down to Tier 2. I think the top 4 in the Western conference is pretty clear cut.

Tier 2 is where it gets super tricky. Did the Blazers make enough changes to keep up in the West? How does Porzingis come back from injury will determine Dallas' fate next season. Kings added some nice complimentary pieces but will it be enough to get them over the hump? Spurs had a pretty average offseason and are a year older but they have Pop. Does Lebron or AD miss significant time - if so they are in trouble. How will Dlo and Curry fit together while they wait for Klay to return - how will Klay be after his injury - Where will the Warriors depth come from? How much influence will Zion have on the Pels - How does Ball and Ingram do returning from injury and in a new system - is Favors and JJ enough added veteran leadership and firepower to make the playoffs?

Tier 2 is so, so fascinating to think about.

If I had to guess about the top 8 right now today I'd say I could probably name 6 of the 8 teams to make the playoffs in the West (not in seeding order).

Rockets, Jazz, Nuggets, Clippers, Warriors, Blazers

But those last 2 spots, man are they tough. It'd be easy to say Spurs and Lakers but I don't think it's as clear cut as those top 6 seeds. There's a chance a team like the Kings, Dallas, or Pels just click and do what the Clippers did last season.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-08-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    That's what has them ranked so highly. I had them in that second tier of teams which could potentially be a playoff team depending on how the chips fall.

Give that roster to a terrible coach and it's bottom 5 in the conference. The coaching, infrastructure, and experience DOES count for something: it's what's stopping them from being the T-Wolves.

Russell is no scrub. He was voted to the all star game right? I am not a fan of pairing him with Curry but he is a very good player. I realize it could all fall apart for them but they deserve a bit more credit even if I dont like them
    Curry and D-Lo might be the worst defensive guard duo in the NBA.

They will put up points on offense, no question, but they will have a 40 piece dropped on them by damn near every team's lead guard.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    1) Clippers
    2) Jazz
    3) Nuggets
    4) Trailblazers
    5) Rockets
    6) Lakers
    7) Warriors
    8) Pelicans
    9) Spurs
    10) Mavs
    11) Kings
    12) Wolves
    13) Thunder
    14) Suns
    15) Grizzlies

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He made a single all star game, so what? Korver made an all star game a year he averaged 12.9ppg. I'm not sold on Dlo moving forward and not sure how he fits with Curry. The core of that team is Curry and Green but anyway, even those 3 I don't see winning more games than a lot of the mentioned teams above them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Curry and D-Lo might be the worst defensive guard duo in the NBA.

They will put up points on offense, no question, but they will have a 40 piece dropped on them by damn near every team's lead guard.
    It feels weird for me to defend the Warriors but I think Green is a really great player and he will have a huge impact on that team

It feels weird for me to defend the Warriors but I think Green is a really great player and he will have a huge impact on that team
    Green is a fantastic player, for sure. He gets a lot of hate and he deserves a lot of it because he's a really annoying idiot, but he's a fantastic basketball player. Great defender, very high level passer.

The problem is that Golden State has NO two way top players anymore.

Curry is offense only: poor defender.
    D-Lo is offense only: poor defender
    Looney is defense only: poor offensive player
    Green can defend at a very high level, and facilitate, but he can't score or make his own shot whatsoever.

The reason Klay was so important to them is that he was a guy who could do both. He could catch and shoot from anyway, put up points quickly, and still play very good defense. Durant was a similar type of figure, and while Iguodala couldn't shoot, he could defend, facilitate, and still get his own shot inside and in transition. Now they have no Klay, no Durant, and no Iguodala. Curry and D-Lo can't score an entire NBA team's worth of points on their own, and Green can't defend all 5 opposing players at once. They have no glue.

Warriors will be bad for most of the year.

1. Lakers
    2. Clippers
    3. Rockets
    4. Warriors
    5. Jazz
    6. Nuggets
    7. 4 way tie between Blazers, Mavericks, Pelicans and Thunder
    11. Spurs
    12. Kings
    13. Timberwolves
    14. Grizzlies
    15. Suns
    Last edited by Dr. Sting; 07-08-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    1. Clippers
    2. Lakers
    3. Trailblazers
    4. Warriors
    5. Jazz
    6. Nuggets
    7. Rockets
    8. Pelicans

Not listing the others...

Only if we stay healthy do we have a chance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not prepared to rank the teams 1-15. For a lot of these teams, health and how they come together will determine their success this season. Obviously, teams like the Jazz and Nuggets are well-built and will be competitive. For teams like the Kings and our Pelicans, the progress of the younger players will be critical. If Ball, Ingram, and Zion play to their potential, when you add them with Jrue, JJ, and Favors, this team can be just as competitive and deep as the aforementioned Jazz and Nuggets. I have the utmost confidence in the Pels' trajectory because they have a solid combination of young, athletic players and savvy veterans. I think more so than ever, the team concept will be critical for those teams that will be most effective this coming season.

Now, the Clippers are probably the top team. Their team was very similar to the Jazz and Nuggets last year in terms of how they won with a solid team concept. Now you add the star power and defensive prowess of Kawhi and PG and this team catapults to the top. I think they are a sure-bet. I think the Spurs have long proven that they will be in the conversation; it is difficult to see that changing even if they are not one of the top 5 teams in the West. I think there is a temptation to place the Warriors into that same kind of mix--as the Spurs--as a team that should be in the conversation. But they have lost a lot of their depth, which made them really tough to beat. I also think they will struggle defending in their back court and I am not sure how well Russell fits into their offense. Of course, there will be adjustments but I am not sure how this group will pan out. There might be some growing pains. Trailblazers will be in the mix but I am not sure they will have as much success as they did last season.

I think there are two polarizing teams: the Lakers and the Rockets. The Rockets have not improved and Harden and Paul have significant issues to work through. I am not sure it happens and I could see this team taking a step backward. I think the Lakers are an even bigger time-bomb waiting to happen. They have a lot of colorful personalities on the team and either those guys will come together quickly and gel or they will implode. I could see the latter happening, especially when you start to consider James' age and the injury history of many of the players on the team. Can Davis stay healthy? Can Cousins prove he has recovered fully from the achilles' injury he suffered in 2018? How will Kuzma feel if all of a sudden he's asked to come off the bench after rumors that he would be traded? How will LeBron look now in his 17th season? His defense has fallen off tremendously over the past three or four seasons. Beyond this, load management will be critical for him. I think the Lakers should be a playoff team but I could see them topping out at about 50-54 wins. Sure, they have two of the top 10 players in the world. But this is an aging roster with arguably the highest boom/bust rate.

As for the rest of the conference, we shall see. I think the Thunder will be interesting and a lot will depend on what happens with Westbrook. They added some a solid young talent in SG and Adams is still tough on the offensive end. But there could be discord especially if they are unable to move Westbrook. Chances are, he'll get send to Miami in exchange for some players who I am not sure will move the needle. Timberwolves are stuck in neutral and I think it'll be wait and see with the Mavs and Suns.

1) Clippers
    2) Jazz
    3) Nuggets
    4) Portland
    5) Lakers
    6) Warriors
    7)Houston
    8) New Orleans
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Basketball Guru
    in the west i dont believe a team who will load manage its best player will be a top seed....

i had my pelicans in the playoffs before the clippers deal but now i dont see it unless we are healthy and a team above us get hit with the injury bug to get us in...

utah
    denver
    clippers
    portland
    houston
    lakers
    kings
    spurs

1-Clippers
    2-Jazz
    3-Nuggets
    4-Houston
    5-Lakers
    6-Warriors
    7-Blazers
    8-Spurs

The team that intrigues me is the Mavs. First time in a while I'm excited about the entire season, not just the Pels.

Thread Information