Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade for Russell Westbrook?

According to Spotrac:

2019-2020 (30 years old): $38,506,482
    2020-2021 (31 years old): $41,358,814
    2021-2022 (32 years old): $44,211,146
    2022-2023 (33 years old): $47,063,478 *player option*

For a guy whose game is pretty much all willpower and athleticism, and has already had several knee surgeries, that’s a terrible contract. That’s not even mentioning how we’d have to tailor our roster and play style completely around him, or his volatile personality.

I’d also push back on him being considered a top 10 player, but even if he is a top 9 or 10 type player, that’s still a bad contract. That’s not a ridiculous take.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I'm not even willing to play that game. Name 10 players better
    1. Kawhi
    2. KD
    3. Lebron
    4. Steph Curry
    5. AD
    6. Harden
    7. The Greek Freak
    8. Paul George
    9. Damian Lillard
    10. Embiid
    11. Jokic
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-06-2019 at 05:51 PM.

I like Westbrook and still say no. Though I would like the Knicks to trade for him, that way in 2 years we can see his team vs Durant's team for the battle of NY. I'm just petty.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'd almost rather take John Wall than Westbrook. He's a talent. But he's such an entitled clown. Jrue is humble enough to know that he's only the leader of this team until Zion comes of age. Westbrook would want the reigns of this team hook line and sinker.

I'm not willing to give him that. Take his raw talent and transfer it into the body of NAW or something impossible? I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'd almost rather take John Wall than Westbrook. He's a talent. But he's such an entitled clown. Jrue is humble enough to know that he's only the leader of this team until Zion comes of age. Westbrook would want the reigns of this team hook line and sinker.

I'm not willing to give him that. Take his raw talent and transfer it into the body of NAW or something impossible? I'll do that.
    O god I wouldn’t go that far. At least Westbrook can play basketball.

Russ has the 2nd worst contract in the NBA (behind Wall, soon to be ahead of Lillard). Ain’t nobody want to touch that trash panda.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Russ has the 2nd worst contract in the NBA (behind Wall, soon to be ahead of Lillard). Ain’t nobody want to touch that trash panda.
    CP3s is worse.
    Basketball.

Wall and CP3 are far worse contracts than Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    CP3s is worse.
    Oof, I forgot about that.

1) Wall
    2) CP3
    3) Westbrook

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    1. Kawhi
    2. KD
    3. Lebron
    4. Steph Curry
    5. AD
    6. Harden
    7. The Greek Freak
    8. Paul George
    9. Damian Lillard
    10. Embiid
    11. Jokic
    I dont agree that Embiid and Jokic are better. Even so, he is arguably top 10 and definitely top 15. Which means when he plays over half the league, he is the best player on the floor.

I'd trade absolutely nothing for him.

I have very little appreciation for his game. He's got a horrible mentality, plays a losing style of basketball, and is painful to watch.

His contract is awful.
    I 100% agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wonder if New York can make a play for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I wonder if New York can make a play for him.
    I was thinking the same thing, and I hope it happens. I wonder if they could just flip everything they received for Porzingas to get Westbrook if there are no other takers. Screw defense. I just want to see Russ unleashed with Randle and Barrett.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    no. way. thankfully it won't even be a consideration.

I would maybe do a 3 team trade for Westbrook.

TWolves: Westbrook & Okafor

Pels: Towns & Schroeder

Thunder: Jrue, Covington, Moore, & our 2020 1st(or send it to the TWolves)

Only if Towns will sign an extension!

C: Towns, Favors
    PF: Zion, Hayes, Melli
    SF: Ingram, Miller
    SG: JJ, Hart, NAW
    PG: Lonzo, Schroeder, FJax
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-07-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post

Thunder: Jrue, Covington, Moore, & our 2020 1st.

I think Towns already signed his extension with Minnesota. Also, why would Minnesota ever give up Towns for an older and more expensive Westbrook?
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-07-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post

Thunder: Jrue, Covington, Moore, & our 2020 1st(or send it to the TWolves)

This is amazing. The rare 3 team trade where it's possible that all three teams would be unhappy with the outcome.

Wolves fans would lose a promising young big man and a fantastic 3&D wing on a great contract in exchange for a career loser on a terrible contract on the wrong side of 30.

Pels lose Jrue (read: veteran leadership, current best player) and a first round pick in a good draft, and get back a player who has also just cashed in a giant extension who shows serious problems with the mental side of the game and doesn't actually fill the holes the roster currently has, given that we currently have multiple high quality bigs (Zion, Favors, for example), along with a low quality guard who is fundamentally a low IQ guy.

Thunder lose their franchise guy who they love on a personal level, don't really get much younger (Jrue and Covington are both nearly Westbrook's age, Moore IS Westbrook's age), and due to the combined $37m+ that Jrue and Covington have for several years moving forward, it doesn't really give them cap flexibility or save them luxury tax this year.

Amazing.

Look as much as I think Towns is an ideal fit next to Zion... That trade ain't happening. Lol.

Basketball Guru
    This is amazing. The rare 3 team trade where it's possible that all three teams would be unhappy with the outcome.

Wolves fans would lose a promising young big man and a fantastic 3&D wing on a great contract in exchange for a career loser on a terrible contract on the wrong side of 30.

Pels lose Jrue (read: veteran leadership, current best player) and a first round pick in a good draft, and get back a player who has also just cashed in a giant extension who shows serious problems with the mental side of the game and doesn't actually fill the holes the roster currently has, given that we currently have multiple high quality bigs (Zion, Favors, for example), along with a low quality guard who is fundamentally a low IQ guy.

Thunder lose their franchise guy who they love on a personal level, don't really get much younger (Jrue and Covington are both nearly Westbrook's age, Moore IS Westbrook's age), and due to the combined $37m+ that Jrue and Covington have for several years moving forward, it doesn't really give them cap flexibility or save them luxury tax this year.

Amazing.

lol....that insane part again lol...

Name 10 contracts worse.
    John Wall
    Wiggins
    Batum
    Chris Paul
    K Love
    Hayward
    Waiters
    Dieng
    James Johnson
    Felicio
    Harrison Barnes

I think Westbrook is fine for a team with a ton of shooting and useless contracts to trade. But we aren't that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    John Wall
    Wiggins
    Batum
    Chris Paul
    K Love
    Hayward
    Waiters
    Dieng
    James Johnson
    Felicio
    Harrison Barnes

I think Westbrook is fine for a team with a ton of shooting and useless contracts to trade. But we aren't that team.
    Wall: Yep, one of the worst contracts in basketball.

Wiggins: His contract is awful but it's for more than $10m per year less than Westbrook's, he's 24 not 30, and (somehow) he's still more efficient than Westbrook is.

Batum: Only has 2 years left on his deal, not 4, and his contract is more than $15m per year less.

CP3: I agree here, so that's 1.

K Love: Again, his contract is double digit millions per year smaller. It's a bad contract, no doubt, but is it worse than Westbrooks? Debatable.

Hayward: Debatable. When the contract was given, Hayward hadn't yet suffered a horrible injury, so it looks like a worse deal than it was when it was given. If he rebounds this year, then it's not worse than Westbrook's. If he doesn't, then it is. So this one is kind of on judgement hiatus right now.

Waiters: There are only 2 more years left on this deal and it's barely more than $12m per year. It's a bad contract but you're absolutely nuts if you think it's on the same tier of bad as Westbrook or CP3's deals.

Dieng: Bad deal? Yes. But again, it's only got 2 years left (Westbrook's has 4) and it's for less than half the annual money that Westbrook's is. In Westbrook's final year, he'll be getting paid $30M more than Dieng will be in his final year. Not on the same tier.

James Johnson: Same as Dieng and Waiters. Only 2 years left on it, and the money is tens of millions of dollars less per year. Not on the same level.

Cristiano Felicio: Again, only has 2 years left on it, it's a descending contract (less money each year) and it's not even $9m per season. Not on the same level.

Harrison Barnes: Barnes' contract is big, sure, but again, not even on the same scale as Westbrook's. In his final year, Barnes will be paid $23.5m. That's fully half of what Westbrook will get paid in the final year of his deal, and Barnes will be FOUR YEARS younger than Westbrook will be at the end of the contract. Is it an overpay? Sure. Is it a franchise crippler like Westbrook's deal? No.

So in that list of guys there's debatably 4 guys with worse deals than Westbrook. Only 2 guys whose deals are unquestionably worse. So going with 4 is generous, but sure, I'll give you 4.

Russell Westbrook has the 5th worst contract in basketball.

^ I agree. Even being extremely generous, Westbrook still has one of the worst contracts in the sport right now.

NO!

OKC already tried to steal our team after Katrina...
    What ransom would they want for Westbrook?
    I am extremely happy with the direction of the Pelicans without him!

I think doing any major changes atm would not be smart. We should let this group do some work together and go from there. The only exception may be moore with some picks for someone that isnt too old and proven skills....other then that lets rock with it.

What a silly thread.

Thread Information