Pelicans Report

Thread: Clippers tried trading for Jrue to pair him with Leonard

Clippers tried trading for Jrue to pair him with Leonard

I wonder what the offer was, I don’t know if we would of gotten the same deal that OKC got.

Thinking about it right now, I really like the Pelicans decision not to trade Holiday. Shows respect and loyalty to a guy that has given a lot to the franchise.

Also, I think it tells me that the timeline to contend isn’t that far out. I think the pelicans ride this season out and see how it goes. Then, make things happen next offseason to fill any holes and start seriously contending. I’m thinking we will see a serious playoff run in 2-3 years. 3 years from now being more likely.

Probably just a couple picks and Gallinari. Doubt they were offering SGA.

To just make it clear, they tried to get Jrue early on in the offseason, not in the past few days. The exact time isn't clear on when but it was probably around the time the AD trade was announced or even before that.

It was not them coming after him in the past couple days with Kawhi telling them "Get Jrue and get me". This was the Clippers knowing they needed a 2nd star for Kawhi and trying to get it. Then they found out after meeting with Kawhi he wanted PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    To just make it clear, they tried to get Jrue early on in the offseason, not in the past few days. The exact time isn't clear on when but it was probably around the time the AD trade was announced or even before that.

It was not them coming after him in the past couple days with Kawhi telling them "Get Jrue and get me". This was the Clippers knowing they needed a 2nd star for Kawhi and trying to get it. Then they found out after meeting with Kawhi he wanted PG.
    They also tried to get Jimmy Butler. Trading with Jerry West isn't gonna get you far

Agreed. Regardless, I still wonder what the package was. Just to see how much they valued PG Vs holiday.

If it’s me. I take Jrue over PG anyways. If they were the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    Agreed. Regardless, I still wonder what the package was. Just to see how much they valued PG Vs holiday.

If it’s me. I take Jrue over PG anyways. If they were the same age.
    The package for Jrue was probably not close to what they gave up for PG. At the time they were trying to get Jrue they didn't know what star Kawhi wanted to be paired with. They didn't even know if he'd be willing to come if they got him.that's a much different situation than Kawhi telling them straight up, "Get PG and get Me."

Combine that with the fact that the Lakers were looming with Lebron, AD, and a ton of cap space and it lead for a desperate situation for the Clippers. They pushed all their chips in for PG to get Kawhi. They weren't doing that a couple weeks ago for Jrue.

The package for Jrue was probably not close to what they gave up for PG. At the time they were trying to get Jrue they didn't know what star Kawhi wanted to be paired with. They didn't even know if he'd be willing to come if they got him.that's a much different situation than Kawhi telling them straight up, "Get PG and get Me."

Combine that with the fact that the Lakers were looming with Lebron, AD, and a ton of cap space and it lead for a desperate situation for the Clippers. They pushed all their chips in for PG to get Kawhi. They weren't doing that a couple weeks ago for Jrue.
    Agreed.

However, it looks like the reason the price got so high was because the Clippers and Raptors were fighting to get PG for Kawai.

Thus, a bidding war ensued. OKC wanted Siakam but the raptors said no. There were even talks of Russ going the other way to the Raptors as well.

I think in a normal trade situation. The clippers don’t give uo that much for PG.

Agreed.

However, it looks like the reason the price got so high was because the Clippers and Raptors were fighting to get PG for Kawai.

Thus, a bidding war ensued. OKC wanted Siakam but the raptors said no. There were even talks of Russ going the other way to the Raptors as well.

I think in a normal trade situation. The clippers don’t give uo that much for PG.
    Oh sure. I was more answering the question about what was offered for Jrue. The answer is, not close to what they gave up for PG. But the situations were entirely different. They were basically trading for PG and Kawhi at the same time since they had assurance that Kawhi would join if they got PG.

I wonder what the offer was, I don’t know if we would of gotten the same deal that OKC got.

Thinking about it right now, I really like the Pelicans decision not to trade Holiday. Shows respect and loyalty to a guy that has given a lot to the franchise.

Also, I think it tells me that the timeline to contend isn’t that far out. I think the pelicans ride this season out and see how it goes. Then, make things happen next offseason to fill any holes and start seriously contending. I’m thinking we will see a serious playoff run in 2-3 years. 3 years from now being more likely.
    Nothing in pro sports has anything to do with respect and loyalty. It's all about butts in the seats and money.

For what the Pelicans are trying to do, Clippers would have had to find another all-star or near all-star to get Jrue. If the Clips found a way to get Beal here then they probably get Jrue.

Jalen Rose mentioned (before the AD trade) that Jrue would be moved as well. Perhaps he was talking about this.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think people need to remember who Jerry West is. As great a GM as we perceive Griff to be, West is the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think people need to remember who Jerry West is. As great a GM as we perceive Griff to be, West is the GOAT.
    I tweeted it out the moment I woke up and saw what had happened.

Jerry West remains undefeated as an executive. He's just extremely, EXTREMELY good at his job.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I tweeted it out the moment I woke up and saw what had happened.

Jerry West remains undefeated as an executive. He's just extremely, EXTREMELY good at his job.
    I remember when the Grizz traded Gasol to the Lakers, and everyone was saying that West was doing the Lakers a favor, but then it turns out West landed Marc Gasol in that trade and he lead the Grizz for nearly a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I remember when the Grizz traded Gasol to the Lakers, and everyone was saying that West was doing the Lakers a favor, but then it turns out West landed Marc Gasol in that trade and he lead the Grizz for nearly a decade.
    He's the guy who acquired Shaq for LA.
    He's the guy who made the Kobe deal to get him.
    He's the guy who hired Phil Jackson, orchestrating the 3-peat.
    He's the guy who turned the Grizz into a perennial playoff team.
    He's the guy who set up Golden State's dynasty for success.
    Now he's on the Clippers and he's just set them up for multiple rings.

The dude just knows how to be a good NBA executive. Just knows the game inside and out, is always on the forefront of new developments and trends, and usually catches the wave before it peaks. Every executive wishes for a track record like West's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's the guy who acquired Shaq for LA.
    He's the guy who made the Kobe deal to get him.
    He's the guy who hired Phil Jackson, orchestrating the 3-peat.
    He's the guy who turned the Grizz into a perennial playoff team.
    He's the guy who set up Golden State's dynasty for success.
    Now he's on the Clippers and he's just set them up for multiple rings.

The dude just knows how to be a good NBA executive. Just knows the game inside and out, is always on the forefront of new developments and trends, and usually catches the wave before it peaks. Every executive wishes for a track record like West's.
    And every player wishes for a career like his. Jerry West is a legend in so many respects.

He is the Logo for a reason.

What MJ was on the court, West is on the entire sport of basketball. He’s the got dang Logo!

Thread Information