Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Darren Erman Leaving the Coaching Staff

Darren Erman Leaving the Coaching Staff

We never really materialized as a great defense despite having two all NBA level defenders. Admittedly, the rest of the roster was limited. Who you put that on, hard to say, whether Erman, AD, Jrue, Demps, Gentry, or the other 10 guys on the roster...

Definitely was not a defensive genius!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Definitely was not a defensive genius!
    i concur

I remember when Gentry got that tech and got kicked out. Erman had to take over.

Then I remember Jrue saying Erman was 'out of sorts' or something similar.

I think this is more the team wanting to go in a different direction defensively. Hopefully it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I remember when Gentry got that tech and got kicked out. Erman had to take over.

Then I remember Jrue saying Erman was 'out of sorts' or something similar.

I think this is more the team wanting to go in a different direction defensively. Hopefully it works out.
    nothing to lose considering our previous defensive rankings.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Good to hear imo, they tried didn't work here.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I wish him luck. Hope he does well elsewhere, but I'm in the same boat as the rest of you guys. Whatever he was trying just didn't work here. One top 10 defense in the last 4 years just isn't good enough for a team that, although flawed, HAS had good defenders at its core.
    Basketball.

I was fully expecting him to be let go in the last few months.

Given the current roster, it makes sense to try new defensive philosophy. This team is now fully built to run and given the spacing issue it will face in the halfcourt, I think a more aggressive, turnover inducing approach is needed in order to generate more fastbreaks.

Unfortunately, with the new state of the NBA, I expect to have less ball movement and more ISO which by definition led to less turnovers.

Erman's defense was based around not fighting for offensive rebounds and instead getting back to stop transition opportunities.

With Zion and Favors we now have two of the best offensive rebounding bigs in the league. Lonzo too for a guard is good at offensive rebounds.

I think this is a philosophy shift where we recognize our team is going to run in a way that is different than Erman's game plan so we decided to go in a different direction.

There's also the fact that they probably feel like his plan wasn't blowing us away with results so maybe it's time to try something else.

I guess the question becomes who replaces him.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    David Griffin: "Hold my beer..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    David Griffin: "Hold my beer..."
    I think that is Gentry’s decision

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Erman's defense was based around not fighting for offensive rebounds and instead getting back to stop transition opportunities.

With Zion and Favors we now have two of the best offensive rebounding bigs in the league. Lonzo too for a guard is good at offensive rebounds.

I think this is a philosophy shift where we recognize our team is going to run in a way that is different than Erman's game plan so we decided to go in a different direction.

There's also the fact that they probably feel like his plan wasn't blowing us away with results so maybe it's time to try something else.

you can add jrue,,okafor and kenny hustle to the mix....you have to let those guys get those offensive boards for a extra possession with a chance to score or get foul.....thats part of their game and erman defense would hold the team back on extra points....

I think that is Gentry’s decision
    I think the new front office core. I'm pretty sure they decide together
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-06-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Maybe been a difference in philosophy for a while, becuase Gentry has said more than once the 4/5 are expected to fight for offensive rebounds while the rest get back on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

looks like Jeff Bzdelik is on the cards

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post

looks like Jeff Bzdelik is on the cards
    What a great move, I will keep my fingers crossed for that to happen.

Who is Jeff Bzdelik?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Who is Jeff Bzdelik?
    He's a basketball coach/assistant coach who has worked for a bunch of teams over the years. During his 22 years as an NBA staff member, his teams have made the playoffs 15 times.

His last stop before this was for the Houston Rockets, where he was their defensive co-ordinator for the last 3 years. They improved from 21st in defense to 6th during his time there.

Before that, he was an assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies, who were always a grittier, grindier team.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Who is Jeff Bzdelik?
    I think he was with Houston Rockets and Denver Nuggets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bzdelik

I hope we look outside the organization as well. Some new blood to the coaching staff could possibly be a good thing with all the new players coming in. But if Jeff is seen as a great defensive mind than maybe he’s the right choice. I would just like to see him have some competition from outside the team and let the best candidate win
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-07-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    There were always folks on here who thought Erman should be our head coach. I always wondered what that was about.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I think he was with Houston Rockets and Denver Nuggets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bzdelik
    I think he would be a great hire and they seem to be pursuing some really top notch personnel... the players still have to execute his scheme though...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information