Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kawhi to clippers

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not only would this never happen (Wizards, again, do not have a GM right now and their interim guy is almost certainly not permitted to make moves of that scale), but it's a horrible trade for the Wizards.

''Oh hey, Wizards, we get that you're in salary cap hell and have one of the worst contracts in basketball on your cap sheet, from John Wall and his exploded legs, but we were wondering if we could take your 25 year old superstar on a solid value contract and instead exchange it for ANOTHER of the worst contracts in basketball, in the form of this Westbrook deal! He's only gonna be earning $47m at the age of 33 and already cannot produce a real winning team, it's a bargain!''
    It was partly a joke and man you need to relax. It was more a reaction to the craziness of the overnight trade and the speculation that Westbrook will want to be traded.

I'm in quick twitch mode over Beal at the moment. 75% of Pelicans conversations get derailed into being about Beal at some point these days, and I'm just at a point where unless a deal is on the table, I don't even want to hear his name.
    Basketball.

The Clippers got way better, but the Thunder got worse. Plus the Lakers look like fringe playoff team. LeBron couldn’t get them to the playoffs last year and AD couldn’t get us to the playoffs either. The Thunder were right up there as a top 5 to 6 team in the west and may not be a playoff team now. The Clippers were likely gonna make the playoffs without making these moves. So IMO this gives us an even better chance at the playoffs next season. If we end up with a better record than the Lakers I will be so stoked. Then AD & LeBron bolt after dealing with that dumpster fire for a year. That would be so sick if they end up being one of the worst teams in the league in a year or 2 and all those picks become top 10 picks lol.

Seen a bunch of people using this to say that they got MORE than we got for AD. This is incorrect.

Firstly: PG is locked up long term, AD isn't. So you have to consider that when talking about the assets.
    Secondly: We got three young players to help our rebuild. OKC got one good young player and a salary dump.
    Thirdly: Those unprotected Clippers picks are gonna be worth relatively little. 20th or worse: Clippers will be good. Miami picks might not be good either, since they just acquired Butler and will free up salary in like a year. Meanwhile the Lakers picks all stand a good chance of being top 10 picks, at worst, and because of the new lottery odds top 5 isn't crazy to consider.
    Well, this smells more like a narrative to save the face of Lebron and the Lakers. Even without comparing the odds of Lakers' picks, most of the time the best case scenario for a draft pick is to select a prospect like Ball or Ingram (which were former nº 2). And in addition we got a sure nº 4 pick. Let's see how many of those Clippers and Miami picks convert as top-4.

Also, let's not forget that Lakers gave us all their assets besides Kuzma. Clippers managed to keep Shamet, Lou, Harrell, Zubac and Robinson. All of them are either good contributors now or good future prospects.

The Franchise
    I'm in quick twitch mode over Beal at the moment. 75% of Pelicans conversations get derailed into being about Beal at some point these days, and I'm just at a point where unless a deal is on the table, I don't even want to hear his name.
    He's highly coveted.. Same thing happens on the Lakers forum.

Patrick Beverley, Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard coming for our Lonzo/Jrue/Zion best-three-man-defense in the league title.

That’s completely fair, I get it.

For the haul that they gave up for PG, Jrue could be available...

My guess is Griff gave Jrue his word he wasn't being moved this summer and stuck to it. Still, SGA (cousin of our very own NAW btw) plus a ton of picks and pick swaps is a huge haul. Gallo would have fit our team too.

Still I'm not upset. There's also a tipping point where you have too much youth. I'm happy with the balance we have right now. Though it would have been hilarious if the Pelicans ended up owning all the draft rights to both LA teams and end up basically owning all of Los Angeles future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    For the haul that they gave up for PG, Jrue could be available...

My guess is Griff gave Jrue his word he wasn't being moved this summer and stuck to it. Still, SGA (cousin of our very own NAW btw) plus a ton of picks and pick swaps is a huge haul. Gallo would have fit our team too.

Still I'm not upset. There's also a tipping point where you have too much youth. I'm happy with the balance we have right now. Though it would have been hilarious if the Pelicans ended up owning all the draft rights to both LA teams and end up basically owning all of Los Angeles future.
    They wouldn’t have given up the same amount for jrue as they did for George

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    That's my assumption. They probably offered something like SGA, 1 first, and 1 future Miami first. I'd turn that down too.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Of course not. My point was if they went into the last few days trying to get Jrue we could have gotten a haul. Reading the article however made it clear that this wasn't something that occurred in the last few days. This was early on in the off season before Kahwi had any meetings.

Knowing the timing of it and possibly even before an AD trade was announced makes a lot of sense that we'd have turned them down. They didn't offer the assets and they are ALOT more desperate after the Lakers got AD.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    If this works out for the Clippers. We need to all admit that Jerry West is a MASTERMIND wherever he goes
    David Griffin is working on doing the same thing . Give it time.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Does AD get his 4 mil back?

I love Kawhi for this.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I love Kawhi for this.
    Kawhi top 15 of all time even if he never wins another game.

Kawhi is top 15 all time player, #1 all time troll.

The Franchise    Contributor   

Taken as a whole, I'd rather our situation keeping Jrue than trading him for that PG package. We'd be nothing but rookies and too many draft picks. I'd much rather have some good vets, plus the additional Laker picks, along with the young players. If you've got nothing but picks you end up in a situation where you cant even use all the picks and have to either 'draft and stash' (which these days are rarely players good enough to want to stash) or sell/trade them away at a discount.

People talking about the better trade...

1. Paul and AD scumbaggery were constantly trying tank their trade value to limit suitors and haul. We would have gotten a better deal if it wasn't for that.

2. 4th pick is better than all those Clippers picks.

That’s what AD gets for being Paul/Lebron beta

Quote Originally Posted by Pelispanish View Post
    Well, this smells more like a narrative to save the face of Lebron and the Lakers. Even without comparing the odds of Lakers' picks, most of the time the best case scenario for a draft pick is to select a prospect like Ball or Ingram (which were former nº 2). And in addition we got a sure nº 4 pick. Let's see how many of those Clippers and Miami picks convert as top-4.

Also, let's not forget that Lakers gave us all their assets besides Kuzma. Clippers managed to keep Shamet, Lou, Harrell, Zubac and Robinson. All of them are either good contributors now or good future prospects.
    Griff turned Rob Pelinka over his knee and asked Adrian Peterson if he could borrow his switch...

So what next for the Clippers? They cant be done. Their only bigs are Harrell and Zubac.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Now Lakers will sign only two year deals because they're planning on chasing Giannis.
    the thing about this is that giannis is on record saying that AD is a player he would like to play with........at one point i was holding out for a AD and giannis duo in new orleans until AD signed with rich paul...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So what next for the Clippers? They cant be done. Their only bigs are Harrell and Zubac.
    That's not too bad for a 1/2 rotation at center. I guess they could always.... Add.... Cousins. Lol
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-06-2019 at 11:39 AM.

The talk is that Rondo will sign with Lakers, but I wonder if Doc Rivers can lure him to the Clippers' stable.

Thread Information