Pelicans Report

Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1439

Thread: Official Summer League Games Thread

Again these young guys not being in game shape while coming off an OT back to back is a recipe for sloppy play and missed jump shots. That’s exactly what we saw tonight. NAW looked less explosive and likely didn’t have his normal lift on his jump shots causing him to be off. Now it’s time to get in the gym and get ready for the NBA season. IMO we have the most promising young core in the NBA. I can’t find a team that has even close to the same talent as us.

This is summer league so I shouldn’t be so upset but I am. After Brandon Clarke scored, Didi was fouled on the inbound and there was no call. Then NAW had the bad pass. But the foul should have been called. It is almost like we did something to upset the refs and they decided to take it out on us in the form of non-calls and phantom fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    Same problem as trying to "get the ball" to young AD. He can't really establish post position on anyone, so he's only going to gets his on putback, transition, cuts and the occasional roll to the basket if it's available. The roll was seldom open because Brandon Clarke is a really good defensive player who is one of the only guys in summer league who can athletically keep up with Hayes and is stronger than Hayes right now.
    That's not quite true. He was open a ton of times, especially when Memphis were using someone like Caboclo to guard him. The lead ballhandlers on this squad just suck at passing and missed him, time and again. It was on rolls and cuts, but still, he probably had about a dozen possessions where he was wide open under the basket, nobody around for 8 feet or so, for long enough for any competent guard to make the pass. Problem is, far too few competent guards.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    New Orleans loses in the semifinals in the last minute on a blown call by officials --- sound familiar?!

Unfortunately, all too familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Tired legs, no game planning. Hayes had enough looks to get 30 points, easy. They didn't want to pass to him. They as in Carr

This. Carr is an all-about-self player.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I trust everyone heard David Griffin say that he doesn't expect much play early on from Hayes. We gotta be ready to slap down the casual who just sees Hayes with putbacks and dunking on people and wants to complain about why Hayes isn't getting run except in the biggest of blowouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I trust everyone heard David Griffin say that he doesn't expect much play early on from Hayes. We gotta be ready to slap down the casual who just sees Hayes with putbacks and dunking on people and wants to complain about why Hayes isn't getting run except in the biggest of blowouts.
    Yes, as long as we can also slap all the people saying that Hayes won't play at all and will live in the G League, because I also trust that everyone heard Griff say that their initial plan to redshirt him had been pretty much sidelined by his Vegas play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's not quite true. He was open a ton of times, especially when Memphis were using someone like Caboclo to guard him. The lead ballhandlers on this squad just suck at passing and missed him, time and again. It was on rolls and cuts, but still, he probably had about a dozen possessions where he was wide open under the basket, nobody around for 8 feet or so, for long enough for any competent guard to make the pass. Problem is, far too few competent guards.
    I agree completely when he was playing with that second unit with Carr, Bluett, Dawkins et al. I wonder why they chose to play him so much with that lineup when he's a pretty dependent player and it negates a lot of his value when you play him with guys who can't find him. I think NAW, Didi, and Kenrich are all willing passers to varying degrees, and I think NAW and Kenrich are good passers. NAW got a bit Kobe-brained in this one toward the end, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Pretty sure his ceiling for his rookie year was gonna be 9 minutes. If breaks that... probably 15 minutes a night.

Pretty sure his ceiling for his rookie year was gonna be 9 minutes. If breaks that... probably 15 minutes a night.
    I feel like most of us on the forum are in a similar, and fairly sensible place with Hayes. Play him situationally to start, pretty much entirely against backups, for maybe 10 minutes a game depending on exactly how the game is going. Monitor his progress, and depending on how he's going, either increase his minutes as the season goes, or leave them alone if he's going slower than anticipated.

Much better than on twitter, where there seems to be two camps on Hayes: camp 1 says he should be starting over Favors (obviously silly) and camp 2 saying he shouldn't play a single NBA minute because what if we don't make the playoffs!!!!! (also obviously silly).

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I'm really thankful that nobody got injured.

I have to look at the positives since I hate the refs for screwing us over once again.

Tonight, the talent couldn't perform the group's poor execution. I saw way too much standing around and ball watching. If they would have run the ball, as I'm sure they were being told to do, I think they could have run Memphis out of the gym.

Takeaways.....

Jaxson Hayes is a 'flash or crash' type ball player; he will wow you with his tremendous athleticism, but leave you shaking your head as fundamentally he is sorely lacking. He definitely has an All Pro ceiling, but his play, right now, is barely NAIA worthy. The good news is he's 'so raw'...the bad news is that he is 'so raw'. His skills need to be developed in G League at least until the All Star Break. Also, needs a nutritionist and personal trainer to help him add muscle and bulk to his teenage frame. He wouldn't last a month with 265 pound centers leaning on him for 15 to 20 minutes a night. SEND HIM TO ERIE TO START.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker has a flair for the sensational play, but needs to be more consistent making the routine play. Unlike many of you who have posted here, I see the strongest element of his game as being his defensive anticipation...he's a pest!!! Needs to stay with the Pelicans as the third point guard (behind Ball and Holiday/jackson) and get maybe six to 12 minutes per game this year. Make no mistake, his shot is NBA-ready, but his floor game is not.

'Didi' Louzada-Silva has shocked me. Of all the rookies I've seen, he has impressed me the most (just didn't see that much of Williamson). I know he is earmarked for Australia, but he probably could play significant minutes for the parent club this year. Already, I will declare him the heir apparent to JJ Reddick as his quick stroke and deadly accuracy will keep the floor spread as this group matures and advances. Another pest on defense, his anticipation and nose for the ball will serve him well in a long NBA career. Manu Ginobili, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

Nickeil Alexander-Walker has a flair for the sensational play, but needs to be more consistent making the routine play. Unlike many of you who have posted here, I see the strongest element of his game as being his defensive anticipation...he's a pest!!! Needs to stay with the Pelicans as the third point guard (behind Ball and Holiday/jackson) and get maybe six to 12 minutes per game this year. Make no mistake, his shot is NBA-ready, but his floor game is not.
    Imagine thinking NAW's floor game is so not NBA ready that you have him in the rotation behind... Frank Jackson.

A man with a floor game so nonexistent that the Loch Ness Monster is jealous.

The takes are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I'm really thankful that nobody got injured.

I have to look at the positives since I hate the refs for screwing us over once again.
    Just imagined that we won and we had to play tomorrow night for a 3rd day straight and NAW or Hayes got hurt. I was ready for Summer League to end. We got an extra game. Hayes or NAW weren't gonna be any better for playing 3rd straight games. It's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Tonight, the talent couldn't perform the group's poor execution. I saw way too much standing around and ball watching. If they would have run the ball, as I'm sure they were being told to do, I think they could have run Memphis out of the gym.

Takeaways.....

Jaxson Hayes is a 'flash or crash' type ball player; he will wow you with his tremendous athleticism, but leave you shaking your head as fundamentally he is sorely lacking. He definitely has an All Pro ceiling, but his play, right now, is barely NAIA worthy. The good news is he's 'so raw'...the bad news is that he is 'so raw'. His skills need to be developed in G League at least until the All Star Break. Also, needs a nutritionist and personal trainer to help him add muscle and bulk to his teenage frame. He wouldn't last a month with 265 pound centers leaning on him for 15 to 20 minutes a night. SEND HIM TO ERIE TO START.

'Didi' Louzada-Silva has shocked me. Of all the rookies I've seen, he has impressed me the most (just didn't see that much of Williamson). I know he is earmarked for Australia, but he probably could play significant minutes for the parent club this year. Already, I will declare him the heir apparent to JJ Reddick as his quick stroke and deadly accuracy will keep the floor spread as this group matures and advances. Another pest on defense, his anticipation and nose for the ball will serve him well in a long NBA career. Manu Ginobili, anyone?
    Glad we found our new weirdo overly-critical user and attach themselves to bench players that won't see the floor for 2 years. It's a role that has been missing for some time.

Imagine thinking NAW's floor game is so not NBA ready that you have him in the rotation behind... Frank Jackson.

A man with a floor game so nonexistent that the Loch Ness Monster is jealous.

The takes are incredible.
    Your expertise is only surpassed by your pomposity. You've heard the old adage about OPINIONS, haven't you? You my fine sir, qualify well.

Glad we found our new weirdo overly-critical user and attach themselves to bench players that won't see the floor for 2 years. It's a role that has been missing for some time.
    As do you.

Your expertise is only surpassed by your pomposity. You've heard the old adage about OPINIONS, haven't you? You my fine sir, qualify well.
    Imagine calling someone else pompous like this.

Biggest takeaway from 2019 Summer League: It's July 14th and everyone is taking about the Pelicans. Every local sports talk radio station; every local TV sports mouth and a lot of the national media as well. Good times. Now, I can enjoy the Saints with excitements of the upcoming Pels season not too far in the back of my mind.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Imagine calling someone else pompous like this.
    You don't have to imagine it; I just did it.

Much of this also applies to Hayes. If you're watching him with gleeful abandon on the defensive end, looking for him to swipe at a bad block or something, so that you can use it as evidence that he needs to be G Leagued for a year, you're being almost as hyperbolic and silly as the people pencilling him in to play over Favors as the starter.

You don't have to imagine it; I just did it.

Much of this also applies to Hayes. If you're watching him with gleeful abandon on the defensive end, looking for him to swipe at a bad block or something, so that you can use it as evidence that he needs to be G Leagued for a year, you're being almost as hyperbolic and silly as the people pencilling him in to play over Favors as the starter.
    *Hayes get zero opportunity or open look for a jump shot outside of running at the rim and alley oops*

"Hayes to need to develop a jumpshot"

HAyes got a decent shot. He just gets no opportunity to shot. Sit down...

*Hayes get zero opportunity or open look for a jump shot outside of running at the rim and alley oops*

"Hayes to need to develop a jumpshot"

HAyes got a decent shot. He just gets no opportunity to shot. Sit down...
    ...I'm not sure if you're just saying that in general, or if you're criticising me personally. I think Hayes can shoot.

Thread Information