Pelicans Report

Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer League Games Thread

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He did a lot of these same things at VT last year. Same kinds of passes. Same saavy penetrating the lane. They did go deep into the tournament while he ran point.

Playing with better players also helps.
    I saw them, I was higher on his upside than many on this board, he was in my top 10 IIRC. Although I did prefer Clarke. But NAW was pretty turnover prone in college and looked way less in control than he does now. The pocket passes, feel newer, his bullet passes were always elite.

One of my favorite college passes is he threw a left handed bullet to the weakside shooter who was standing in the corner covered, but he threw it upcourt of him so he had to move to catch the ball and that movement was in to open space. It was one of the best passes I've ever seen. It almost looked like it curved in the air too, maybe I was high

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    GMs are going to exaggerate about players they draft, Jax has great hands, on catching lobs with two hands, I've never swen him drop something he got 2 hands on, but he's not great with one. I've seen it, it's what made me so happy to see him pull down the one handed rebound in summer league, it was something he was completely unable to do at Texas. maybe its contact related idk. But David could catch one handed rebounds in traffic

Neither Jax or Davis had great form, but Davis' form was better, Jax doesn't put correct spin on the ball and his mechanics arent too consistent. That's a bigger sin to me than not having a great gather and release point. Jax shows promise but so did David, neither is great neither is terrible. Touch around the rim was the topic and there I think Davis showed on his hooks and falling out of bounds shots that he's miles better than Jax.

Davis wasn't a bad prospect offensively, he was considered to have a Camby floor with KG and Duncan upside. He was scoring more in his 2nd year than I think Hayes ever will. That's not a knock on Hayes. He's a great player and I could see him being an 18ppg center who is top 10 defensively down the line and has really high offensive impact and gravity, but there's a lot to work on besides strength and shooting to get there.
    At least a large part of the reason AD was so much more effective at a college level (and was more effective as a rookie than Hayes will be) when it comes to rebounds is that he had much more developed big man fundamentals than Hayes does, wider shoulders, and a longer wingspan (7'5'' compared to 7'3'' doesn't sound like much, but in practice at the NBA level, it matters). Hayes is taller, but only by a little bit compared to AD at the same age, and as physically gifted as Hayes is in regards to height and length, AD's built like a video game character.

I disagree that Hayes' mechanics aren't too consistent. He's shot a total of 5 jumpers in-game since joining college up until now, so we don't really have the in-game volume to make a real judgement on, but his FT mechanics are regular and repeated, and in the workout videos his shot is fairly stable. Obviously I know that empty-gym-workout-videos only tell you so much, but given that it's what we have to go on at this point, it's all we can really make judgements from. It's not like Hayes has shot 80 in game jumpers for us to analyse.

I think Hayes has the real potential to be a 20 point guy at some point in his career. I agree that it's highly, highly unlikely for him ever to reach the offensive heights that AD has (AD is a top 5 player for a reason), but I don't see that as a knock on him at all. You don't either, as you say.

If I'm involved with coaching Hayes, there are really three things that he needs to work on. The first is weight, and that's an ongoing process. He does seriously need to put on at least 15lbs, very possibly more: his build looks like it will take weight well, so he may be able to add even 25 or 30lbs without losing too much mobility. The second is general big man fundamentals. He does screen well, but he seems to naturally slip screens. Obviously that's useful, but I'd like to see him develop something of a brick-wall ability when needed, and there's no denying that he needs to learn how to consistently box out. Lots of gym time with Favors should help that. Finally, it's that jumper. He can rim run with the best of them already in my view, but if he really wants to carve out minutes in an increasingly versatile NBA, he needs to get that FT line jumper down to an art. I think he can do it.
    Basketball.

One more day of scheduled play then playoffs. Memphis and Boston square off tomorrow , both 3-0. Only 8 teams in the playoffs and Detroit and Minnesota finished 4-0, Right now we're 5th.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Also: Hayes for 2020 Dunk Contest

Yeah, there is no need to compare Hayes to Davis. As noted, Davis was a once-a-decade prospect, the clear cut number one overall pick, like Zion.

I've been impressed by Hayes and like his potential, but I'm not going to pretend he's a once-a-decade type talent. He's a very fluid guy for his size and I like his multi-sport background. Let's see how he develops and, more importantly, let's give him time to develop. I still think this a is basically a red-shirt year for him, even with his impressive showings in his first couple of summer league outings. Give him a year with NBA coaching and training and then start gauging his potential...

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Man, I would love to see them change their mind on Zion and let him play.

PG - NAW

SG - Didi/F.Jackson

SF - Cheatham/Bigby-Williams

PF - Zion

C - Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    that double box crap is annoying

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    That broadcast was garbage. Whoever had the idea to split the screen to look at a conversation that nobody cares about should be fired. Play the audio in the background, fine, but let us watch the damn game in normal size.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post

PG - NAW

SG - Didi/F.Jackson

PF - Zion

C - Hayes
    Jackson isn't playing anymore in SL. No need

That broadcast was garbage. Whoever had the idea to split the screen to look at a conversation that nobody cares about should be fired. Play the audio in the background, fine, but let us watch the damn game in normal size.
    exactly what I think every time they do that crap

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    One more day of scheduled play then playoffs. Memphis and Boston square off tomorrow , both 3-0. Only 8 teams in the playoffs and Detroit and Minnesota finished 4-0, Right now we're 5th.
    I think we have already locked in a place in top-8, right? There are 5 teams with 2-1. Phoenix won't play again (one of his games was cancelled due to earthquake). And Sacramento and Clippers play each other. In the worst case scenario, only three teams can jump over us on the standings and we would still be 8th.

Def agree. Those guys were like historians/league insiders, who knew lots of people by being around the league for many years. They confused Bigby-Williams for Kenny Hustle on a strong basket, rarely made comments about who was scoring the ball while they were babbling and almost never commented on the Pels excellent ball movement and shot making. The complimentary comments they did make were observant, but almost like they were made using their peripheral vision. Their narrative was like 70/30 potpourri/Pelicans

Last edited by Shrimpnose; 07-11-2019 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    Def agree. Those guys were like historians/league insiders, who knew lots of people by being around the league for many years. They confused Bigby-Williams for Kenny Hustle on a strong basket, rarely made comments about who was scoring the ball while they were babbling and almost never commented on the Pels excellent ball movement and shot making. The complimentary comments they did make were observant, but almost like they were made using their peripheral vision. Their narrative was like 70/30 potpourri/Pelicans
    I still have no idea what the technical that was called on NAW was for. They didn't even comment on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelispanish View Post
    I think we have already locked in a place in top-8, right? There are 5 teams with 2-1. Phoenix won't play again (one of his games was cancelled due to earthquake). And Sacramento and Clippers play each other. In the worst case scenario, only three teams can jump over us on the standings and we would still be 8th.
    Yea looks like we going to the top 8 as all the teams we are tied or can be 3-1 we look to have a better point differential which is the 1st criteria of a tie break. A few teams are 2-1 but they are so far down in point differential they would have to win by like 60 points to move ahead of us. Basically we have like a 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of going to the next round.

Just to compare now after 2 games (yes, still a small sample size, I know, I'm not claiming otherwise)

Pelicans Rookies
    Jaxson Hayes: 20.5/5.5/0.5/0/2 on 69.6% from the floor. 100% from 3 (1 attempt). 37.08 PER, +55.7 Net Rating. (Has hit 2 jumpers!)
    Didi Louzada: 12.5/2.5/2/1.5/1 on 50% from the floor. 55.6% from 3 (4.5 attempts per game). 20.36 PER, +38.7 Net Rating.
    Nickeil A.W.: 24.5/3.5/7/2/1.5 on 53% from the floor. 46.2% from 3 (6.5 attempts per game). 33.61 PER, +37 Net Rating.

Other Prominent Rookies
    Rui Hachimura: 16.5/6/0.5/0.5/1.5 on 40% from the floor. 0% from 3 (1.5 attempts per game). 14.23 PER, -4.6 Net Rating. (2 games played)
    R. J. Barrett: 15.3/10/3.3/1/1.3 on 32.6% from the floor. 23.5% from 3 (5.7 attempts per game). 13.91 PER, -13.3 Net Rating (3 games played)
    Tacko Fall: 7.3/3.3/0.3/0/1 on 76.9% from the floor. 0% from 3 (0 attempts). 25.47 PER, +30.4 Net Rating (3 games played)
    Anfernee Simons: 22/4.3/1.6/1/0 on 55.8% from the floor. 64.7% from 3 (5.7 attempts per game). 30.6 PER, +7 Net Rating (3 games played)
    Coby White: 17/5/4/1.5/0 on 35.7% from the floor, 11.5% from 3 (6.5 attempts per game). 13.53 PER, -16.6 Net Rating (4 games played)
    Mitchell Robinson: 14.3/11.3/0.3/0.3/3.3 on 85.7% from the floor. 0% from 3 (0 attempts). 27.12 PER, +37.8 Net Rating (3 games played)
    Ignas Brazdeikis: 18.3/4.7/2.7/1/1 on 52.6% from the floor. 57.1% from 3 (4.7 attempts per game). 21.39 PER, +2 Net Rating (3 games played)
    Brandon Clarke: 13/6/1.5/0/1.5 on 52.4% from the floor. 100% from 3 (0.5 attempts per game). 32.08 PER, +31.6 Net Rating (2 games played)

So I think it's pretty clear that our rookies are stacking up extremely well. Yes, it's Summer League, yes, it's only a few games, but I'd much rather have them showing out like this, than being shown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Yea looks like we going to the top 8 as all the teams we are tied or can be 3-1 we look to have a better point differential which is the 1st criteria of a tie break. A few teams are 2-1 but they are so far down in point differential they would have to win by like 60 points to move ahead of us. Basically we have like a 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of going to the next round.
    If BOS loses to MEM today, we should end up the #4 seed. We're already ahead of BOS in pt differential, and if they lose that would move them even lower. In addition, as you stated, the 2-1 teams are very unlikely to jump that high in differential. I guess we should be pulling for MEM.

Cosmis, one of my favourite draft guys and talent evaluators, has Jax and NAW on his All Summer League First Team, and Didi on his Second Team.

That's pretty awesome. Even Bigby-William falls on his Honourable Mentions.

I still have no idea what the technical that was called on NAW was for. They didn't even comment on it!
    https://www.nba.com/summerleague/2019/game-rules

PG - NAW

SG - Didi/F.Jackson

PF - Zion

C - Hayes
    Bigby-Williams is not a SF or 3.
    He is a 5.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Bigby-Williams is not a SF or 3.
    He is a 5.
    Let's say he is a 4. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/te.../Summer_League

Since I doubt Zion is coming back, lemme redo the starting lineup.

G - NAW

SG - Didi

SF - Cheatham/K. Williams

PF - Bigby-Williams

C - Hayes

Man, that is a good team. There aren't any weaknesses. We even have depth with Dawkins and Tony Carr as rotation guys.
    Last edited by ragincaucasian; 07-11-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Let's say he is a 4. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/te.../Summer_League

Since I doubt Zion is coming back, lemme redo the starting lineup.

G - NAW

SG - Didi

SF - Cheatham/K. Williams

PF - Bigby-Williams

C - Hayes

Man, that is a good team. There aren't any weaknesses. We even have depth with Dawkins and Tony Carr as rotation guys.
    No spacing....that would be a huge weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    No spacing....that would be a huge weakness.
    I mean... Hayes is a sniper tho

So... Are we top 8 and in the summer league playoffs? The tiebreaker is supposedly confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    So... Are we top 8 and in the summer league playoffs? The tiebreaker is supposedly confusing
    It's point differential, which gives the Pelicans a very comfortable cushion to get in.

https://stats.nba.com/standings/summerleague/

There seems to be more to it than just point diff. With Wednesday’s 99-78 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Pelicans record improved to 3-1, but more importantly, the significant margin of victory pushed the team’s total to 10.0 points, trailing only the Dallas Mavericks’ 11.0 points among teams with three wins versus one loss. The top eight seeds will move onto tournament play starting on July 13th.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/XfcA...6.01.46_AM.png

Thread Information