Pelicans Report

Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer League Games Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Someone will have to be cut. If not Wood, who?

As a side note, the reason Wood hasn't been playing in Summer League is because he's involved in a contractual negotiation with the front office. Rumours are that he wants his contract guaranteeing. If the Pels aren't willing to do that, then what does that tell you about their faith in him being here come January?
    I’d cut Kenrich Williams all day before I’d cut Christian Wood. Kenrich makes some nice hustle plays but does nothing really spectacular. Wood has shown he can be a legitimate offensive front court threat from his brief time with the Pels, G league stats, and previous summer league performances. I don’t blame him for wanting at least a 1 year guarantee on his contract. I think he has shown enough to earn that.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-09-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I’d cut Kenrich Williams all day before I’d cut Christian Wood. Kenrich makes some nice hustle plays does nothing really spectacular. Wood has shown he can be a legitimate offensive front court threat.
    ...okay.

Suffice it to say that I would find it difficult to disagree more.
    Basketball.

...okay.

Suffice it to say that I would find it difficult to disagree more.
    Please elaborate.

I’d cut Kenrich Williams all day before I’d cut Christian Wood. Kenrich makes some nice hustle plays does nothing really spectacular. Wood has shown he can be a legitimate offensive front court threat. I don’t blame for wanting at least a 1 year guarantee on his contract. I think he has shown enough to earn that.
    Trade Etwaun for future pick would be my choice

Please elaborate.
    Kenrich Williams is not a scorer. Wood is a better scorer. So just to clarify, I'm not disputing that. I don't think scoring is a primary need on the team right now either, given the presence of so many other scoring options, so that doesn't bother me.

Kenrich is, however, as you say, a much better hustle player. He plays superior defense, has a better feel for court motion, reads opposing offenses better, plays better off the ball (including cutting and spotting up), and is a superior passer. He's also a fantastic rebounder for his size: Wood is better, sure, but in terms of rebounding for their position, Kenrich is just as good and possibly better.

The way I see it is that right now we have a bunch of players who need the ball either in their hands, or passing through their hands to be effective at their highest level. We have Jrue Holiday, who obviously plays better off the ball and prefers it, but still needs the ball in his hands to actually score (obviously). We have Zion, who also plays extremely well off ball, but who I think almost the entire fanbase wants to see take on more perimeter creation responsibilities. Ingram is a far superior on-ball player than off ball. Lonzo is a passer; he is a play initiator, no question about it. And we also have a bunch of players who are not play creators but who are definitive possession enders: guys like Hayes, Favors, and Redick, who when they get the ball will either score it or move it. They are not going to be playmakers for others.

So I'm not desperate for players who need the ball to make an impact. Every team needs, I think, those guys who don't need their number called even once in a quarter to be effective, and Kenrich is one of those players. He can impact a game through his hustle, defense, passing, rebounding, positional play, etc, without even taking a shot. That's extremely important for a team that's already stuffed full with top tier offensive talent.

Wood is good, no doubt, but he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. When he was putting up those big numbers on the Pelicans at the end of last season, he was playing with a usage rate of 27%. For comparison, Kenrich's usage rate was 12.3%. Literally less than half: in order to have the effectiveness we saw from Wood, he needs a usage rating higher than Jrue's was (Jrue only had a 25.4% usage last season), whereas Wood can do everything we need a vital glue guy to do and provide some perimeter shooting, some defense, some hustle, without taking shots away from anyone like Zion, Jrue, Ingram, or Hayes, and without slowing down their development.

I could keep rambling but that should clear up most of my thought process.

Also this

I hadnt even seen this. Yeah he put on like 30 lbs...too fat. **warning they show it around 10 times**

Last edited by luckyman; 07-09-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Kenrich is currently 2nd in the Summer League in rebounds per game, and 3rd in assists per game.

I’d cut Kenrich Williams all day before I’d cut Christian Wood. Kenrich makes some nice hustle plays but does nothing really spectacular. Wood has shown he can be a legitimate offensive front court threat from his brief time with the Pels, G league stats, and previous summer league performances. I don’t blame him for wanting at least a 1 year guarantee on his contract. I think he has shown enough to earn that.
    Makes me think this Melli guy must be a stud to have to potentially cut Williams, Okafor or Wood.

you know we doing something right when a conversation is about cutting woods or kenrich.

Bro I really feel like this is how it's gonna be, got me feeling kinda emotional, I don't even know, man

Bro I really feel like this is how it's gonna be, got me feeling kinda emotional, I don't even know, man
    this is great

RJ Barrett is 7/33 with 8 turnovers so far sheesh

Brooo. I hope they all see this on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    RJ Barrett is 7/33 with 8 turnovers so far sheesh
    It is definitely of note but I think it is important to remember that based on history summer league is not a good predictor of a successful or unsuccessful rookie seasons or pro career.
    Last edited by GameBreaker; 07-10-2019 at 05:10 PM.

I know the Knicks team just walked off without shaking hands after that last L.

That NY media pressure I guess...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    It is definitely of note but I think it is important to remember that based on history summer league is not a good predictor of a successful or unsuccessful rookie seasons or pro career.
    Yeah, being garbage in Summer League doesn't mean you're going to be garbage in the real NBA, and being incredible in Summer League doesn't mean you're going to be fantastic in the real league either.

Just for comparison, in the 2009 Summer League, Steph Curry averaged 17/4/4, which is pretty solid although far from mindblowing. Wade and Lebron both averaged basically 15ppg in Summer League, if I remember correctly. So those guys kinda underwhelmed in SL, but went on to become all time great superstars. By contrast, Anthony Randolph led the 2009 Summer League in scoring, with 27ppg. He's out of the league now and averaged 7 points and 4 rebounds for his NBA career.

If you take SL seriously as a young player, then even if you play badly it can be a good thing. It can expose some of the things you need to work on and help you out, so that those problems aren't hitting you blind when you get into the NBA.

It's still not good to look awful in Summer League though, and RJ has looked rough as all hell.

Man, I'm so hype for tonight's game. I hope everyone's playing.

NAW TO HAYES ON THE PLAY ONE.

Love that pick and roll there

Hayes just got double teamed on the block and he made a very nice quick skip pass over his shoulder to the corner shooter. Good to see that kind of court awareness early.

The boys are back in town.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Didi for 3!

I hate how they're split screening this for the coaches interviews. I like hearing from Gentry, but it's making the actual gameplay way too small to see properly.

Literally no reason for this split screen ********

Didi for 3! His stroke looks so clean

Thread Information