Pelicans Report

Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer League Games Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    They've put in the bench mob so the main show is over anyway, but yeah... we're up basically 30 with 4 minutes left.
    Jaxson Hayes show is over... time for the SideShow Mob Squad...

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Hayes and NAW and ZION will be ROY candidates I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's gonna come down to minutes. We know Zion will get enough minutes to make his case, I don't think Hayes will, there's a chance NAW does but he'd have to leap someone in the rotation.

Given age, potential, defensive versatility, etc, I say cut Wood and just give any and all minutes he may have gotten this year to Hayes. Whether that's 8, or 12, or 16 a game or whatever, just give 'em.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    NAW and Hayes won't get the minutes required, realistically.

Kinda wish they would though
    I can see Hayes getting minutes ahead of Okafor if he can stay out of foul trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given age, potential, defensive versatility, etc, I say cut Wood and just give any and all minutes he may have gotten this year to Hayes. Whether that's 8, or 12, or 16 a game or whatever, just give 'em.
    To be perfectly honest... I can see a 3 man rotation. between Favors, Zion, and Hayes with some healthy minutes with Favor pushing 33 range.

Zion needs to get that shooting form figured out. Hayes got a smooth jumper. SO, it's all about practicing it for him. Zion needs a personal shooting coach.
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-08-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Jeesum, this guys talking about Arnold Palmer’s autograph. Did he win a Make a Wish contest? Is this his wish?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I can see Hayes getting minutes ahead of Okafor if he can stay out of foul trouble.
    I've argued since the draft that Hayes should get what would have been Diallo minutes last year: that is, about 15 a game. That's where he should start. Do that until Christmas and then make the adjustment based on how he looks. If he's overmatched and needs more work, send him to the G League. If he's making good progress, keep him at 15. If he's just exploding in front of our eyes with rapid progress, consider upping his minutes and cutting into Okafor's time.

There's no need to decide what minutes Hayes will be playing in March of 2020 in July of 2019. Makes no sense. Coaching staff should be willing to make those adjustments, and I think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Zion needs to get that shooting form figured out. Hayes got a smooth jumper. SO, it's all about practicing it for him. Zion needs a shooting coach.
    I'm not too worried about Zion's shooting form. It's not great but it's not absolutely mangled, and he's a hard worker. Like you said, get him in the gym with a shooting coach, check back in about a year. Hold off real judgment until then: he's 19 years old and has never really had to shoot before.

Hayes though, you're right. That free throw form looks good, and he has such soft touch around the basket that I could easily see him getting that AD 15-18 footer down without too much difficulty if he puts the hours in.

These interviews with Hayes and NAW are really good. I kind of really want an autographed basketball with those two and Zion on it.

Who would of thought that we just witnessed the best summer league game ever from our team without the top pick even playing??

I gotta put on some shades cause the future is BRIGHT!!!

Watching NAW, Hayes and Didi is the most fun I've had watching summer league. Ever.

NAW is a really, really good passer. He was the best passer in this game and #2 wasn't close. He is literally always in a stance on defense and does a lot of deflecting and poking defensively. He is not afraid to shoot quickly and will shoot from deep range. He is crafty and can score in a bunch of different ways. At least at the summer league level, he looks like he's fine athletically---he plays with the weird, slow, jerky pace to his iso and P&R possessions that his cousin uses. He looks like an NBA player.

Hayes is going to have fouling and rebounding issues early on. But he has a ton of stuff you can't teach athletically and with touch and scoring feel. There are flashes of some of the stuff (NOT COMPARING AS AN OVERALL PLAYER) that AD did as a rookie. Unlike AD, he fouls a lot, is a pretty ineffective rebounder and doesn't have the start of a jumper. But the hands, athleticism, touch, feel for where to be offensively and score in the course of the game---those things are valuable, hard to find and he has them.

Didi was a pleasant surprise. He physically looks the part. He has a strong, NBA-ready frame for a wing. He had some on-ball defensive possessions in terms of mirrorring his guy, including one that ended in a block and a shot clock violation, that were FILTHY. The shot is low but he gets it off quickly and it looks like that will translate. He has some feel in terms of making smart passes. He can't really drive much, but that's fine. He looks like a guy who legitimately could come over and be a positive NBA 3&D wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    These interviews with Hayes and NAW are really good. I kind of really want an autographed basketball with those two and Zion on it.
    Draft your future core 3 in year 0 with 4 more years of extra draft picks coming down the pipeline would be pretty amazing. I was expecting one to simply be a roleplayer, but they all seem special.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I love these kids. All three of them. Way too early prediction, but Didi is gonna be a difference maker for this team once he becomes an NBA player.

Is there anywhere to watch highlights from this game?

Draft your future core 3 in year 0 with 4 more years of extra draft picks coming down the pipeline would be pretty amazing. I was expecting one to simply be a roleplayer, but they all seem special.
    yeah if they turn out really good. those other picks also turn into potential trade bait for a really good player bc we are not gonna be getting that many rookies lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Is there anywhere to watch highlights from this game?
    probably be up in an hour or 2

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I love these kids. All three of them. Way too early prediction, but Didi is gonna be a difference maker for this team once he becomes an NBA player.
    I agree. He has great feel, just like the other rookies, and while his shot isn't textbook perfect, it looks extremely smooth. Given the success he had with it in Brazil, I think that's gonna translate.

What really excited me was the defense. It's super easy for young guys to just give up on D, telling themselves it's just Summer League, and that's true to some extent, but not these guys. Didi, Hayes, and NAW all played good, strong defense (especially Didi and Naw) and looked like they hated the idea of being scored on. That's so important.

David Griffin and Trajan Langdon look like they really did well.

All-Star
    Does anyone know where I can catch a replay of the game?

I agree. He has great feel, just like the other rookies, and while his shot isn't textbook perfect, it looks extremely smooth. Given the success he had with it in Brazil, I think that's gonna translate.

What really excited me was the defense. It's super easy for young guys to just give up on D, telling themselves it's just Summer League, and that's true to some extent, but not these guys. Didi, Hayes, and NAW all played good, strong defense (especially Didi and Naw) and looked like they hated the idea of being scored on. That's so important.

David Griffin and Trajan Langdon look like they really did well.

It's really nice to have a GM that actually scout players. Nets fan talked about his eye for talent, but damn... I still didn't expect it.

It's really nice to have a GM that actually scout players. Nets fan talked about his eye for talent, but damn... I still didn't expect it.
    could you imagine all 3 being steals of the draft lol

THIS IS MAGIC

Think NAW could play a lot of minutes as a rookie.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is getting 25mpg as a point guard by the end of the year. He's just miles ahead of Jackson as a facilitator.

Thread Information