Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer League Games Thread

I know he's not a Pelican, but since he's a high draft pick it's worth noting:

RJ Barrett had one of the worst games I've seen in a while last night. He had 8 points on 3 of 15 shooting, 8 turnovers to only 1 assist, shot 1 of 4 from the FT line, and was thoroughly outshined by Ignas Brazdeikis, the guy the Knicks picked at #47.

I liked the Brazdeikis pickup for them, because he's just a guy who can flat out score, and he isn't afraid of anyone on offense. He does have big, big holes in his game, but at #47 I thought he was a very nice choice for them, and he showed it with 30 points and 8 rebounds, 11 of 19 from the floor, 3 of 6 from deep. 5 turnovers still isn't good but is much more palatable when it comes from a guy who is really making stuff happen offensively, rather than someone like RJ who was just coughing it up while producing nothing.

Horrible, horrible performance from Barrett to watch.
    Basketball.

RJ was terrible. Coach Ks system is pro oriented and all the weaknesses he exhibited in college are transferring to pros and unfortunately he doesn’t have another real presence pulling attention or playing on a smaller 3 to rim distance court.

In my honest assessment, he lacks the athleticism and ball handling to be the player he really wants to be. It’s summer league but his weaknesses should be ringing off some alarms there in Manhattan. I hope he realizes that he probably needs to be a 3 and D guy until he finds his pro spots and matures his game before it’s too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    RJ was terrible. Coach Ks system is pro oriented and all the weaknesses he exhibited in college are transferring to pros and unfortunately he doesn’t have another real presence pulling attention or playing on a smaller 3 to rim distance court.

In my honest assessment, he lacks the athleticism and ball handling to be the player he really wants to be. It’s summer league but his weaknesses should be ringing off some alarms there in Manhattan. I hope he realizes that he probably needs to be a 3 and D guy until he finds his pro spots and matures his game before it’s too late.
    Unfortunately for him, he's neither good at 3, nor D.

I've said it elsewhere: if RJ figures everything out, he can be a solid player. I see his upside as something like Demar Derozan. But he could easily just end up being Evan Turner with worse defense.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Sorry if it's already been discussed but does anyone know if bigby signed the exhibit 10 yet? I know at first it was reported it was signed, and then there were some saying it wasn't signed and he was weighing options.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Unfortunately for him, he's neither good at 3, nor D.

I've said it elsewhere: if RJ figures everything out, he can be a solid player. I see his upside as something like Demar Derozan. But he could easily just end up being Evan Turner with worse defense.
    Agreed.

But I’m afraid Derozen’s explosion and penetration ball handling even from the jump has always been more Kobe than RJ’s dribbling and vertical running in quicksand.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Sorry if it's already been discussed but does anyone know if bigby signed the exhibit 10 yet? I know at first it was reported it was signed, and then there were some saying it wasn't signed and he was weighing options.
    Something tells me he wants something more. But Lopez tweeted that he has a "high interest" in inking with the Pels.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Something tells me he wants something more. But Lopez tweeted that he has a "high interest" in inking with the Pels.
    Wants something more meaning a guaranteed deal?

Here's the game time and where you can see it. Looking forward to seeing Hayes, NAW, and Didi. Not looking forward to the horrible takes that will inevitably crop up on twitter after seeing them play

Here's the game time and where you can see it. Looking forward to seeing Hayes, NAW, and Didi. Not looking forward to the horrible takes that will inevitably crop up on twitter after seeing them play
    Ready for Whole F'N Show Hayes

Josh Hart's looking forward to seeing the guys play too!

Just saw that Cameron Payne is playing in Summer League.

Man is damn near 25, and is going into his 4th year in the NBA. He's played over 150 NBA games.

That's sad.

Expect less Frank Jackson, more NAW as lead guard.

Less Bigby-Williams, more Hayes.

Less Kenny Hustle, more Didi Silva

They're legit gonna start this game 30 minutes late

They're legit gonna start this game 30 minutes late
    What's the delay? Dying over here

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    What's the delay? Dying over here
    No idea. I don't think the game that was on before this one went over time by much or anything. Just weird.

It didnt go overtime, but it did run late. ESPN3 just went live on the Pels game.

Gotta say, one of my least favourite things about the NBA (even more disliked than the fact that games are on at silly times here in the UK) is the fact that if a game is due to start at, say, 2:30am, it will inevitably ACTUALLY start at 2:55am. Games always start 10 minutes after they're supposed to, and then they have the announcements of players, then the national anthem, and by the time the game actually ''starts'' it's 20 minutes after the listed time.

Edit: this isn't specifically about THIS game, this game just reminded me. Happens in the regular season, and gets worse in the playoffs.

All three new guys starting!

Walker with the early 3!

I like Hayes a lot. He looks so smooth out there.

Loving Hayes' movement right now! Got the ball beyond the arc, dribble handoff, dove to the paint. Everyone missed the pass inside, but he came back out and set the screen to create space again for Louzada, then dove again to the paint. Caught a fastball pass, got the dunk.

So good.

First two plays, NAW and Hayes both do something stupid and something really good.

NAW greatest basketball player ever: confirmed.

Hayes is just in the right place every play right now. Caught that pass from Kenrich despite the awful delivery, sunk both free throws.

He's looking great

What channel is it on

Thread Information