Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer League Games Thread

I almost lost my crap right now. The Espn reporters are being an absolute JOKE!! They brought up fatalities. The length that they go to for dramatic effect is shameful!!!

When people say we have scorers, who all are we talking about? JJ, Jrue. Sure those two are hands down better than Frank, but after that?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't think anyone is acting like the only thing he has shown was "some cool dunks" tonight. Eman listed like 3 or 4 things that he has shown to be much better than anything he showed last year. The main one that stood out to me was his off the dribble game.
    The problem for me was that the dribbling was hit or miss. He had some possessions, particularly in the second half where his green light was on, where his dribble game looked good. Then he had plays in the first half where he couldn't hold onto the ball stationary without fumbling it.

The fact is, we know he can shoot, we know he can dunk, we know he can drive. He did all that through last season and he was doing it tonight.

Eman noted that his defense was better tonight, and I mean... I guess? I didn't really see it that much, but okay.

And his passing was still whatever at best. So what am I supposed to take from it? Am I supposed to be excited for his single dimension getting better?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    When people say we have scorers, who all are we talking about? JJ, Jrue. Sure those two are hands down better than Frank, but after that?
    Zion, Ingram, Favors.

Will the match have to be completed?

Does the word scorer need to be defined as "efficient scorer" or just a regular ole scorer? Because I'd definitely put Ingram in the scorer category though hopefully he improves on the efficiency department.

I'd also say Zion is going to be a scorer for this team, just in a different way than typical scorers. I'd also rank both of Ingram and Zion as hands down better than Frank atm. If we look at last year's stats Josh Hart was also a better scorer than Jackson and while Moore is still on the team he's for sure a better scorer than him.

Alright so now that I've started listing players, like 1/3 of our team is probably a better scorer than Jackson (from what we've seen so far). But Jackson definitely has potential to put up points.

I'd also say Zion is going to be a scorer for this team, just in a different way than typical scorers. I'd also rank both of Ingram and Zion as hands down better than Frank atm. If we look at last year's stats Josh Hart was also a better scorer than Jackson and while Moore is still on the team he's for sure a better scorer than him.
    Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Will the match have to be completed?
    The match? Lol foreigners.

I'd say the game ended where it left off. Not important enough to keep going.

Pelicans 1-0, Knicks 0-1.

I thought Jackson, Cheatham, and Bigby-Williams looked good. Especially Bigby Williams who was quite athletic and could make a shot. For those of you that don't know him, he transferred to LSU from Oregon. Sat out a year and will be 24 this year. He has more skill than Diallo. Pelicans apparently wanted him bad enough because he was reported to sign with Hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The problem for me was that the dribbling was hit or miss. He had some possessions, particularly in the second half where his green light was on, where his dribble game looked good. Then he had plays in the first half where he couldn't hold onto the ball stationary without fumbling it.

The fact is, we know he can shoot, we know he can dunk, we know he can drive. He did all that through last season and he was doing it tonight.

Eman noted that his defense was better tonight, and I mean... I guess? I didn't really see it that much, but okay.

And his passing was still whatever at best. So what am I supposed to take from it? Am I supposed to be excited for his single dimension getting better?
    I mean exactly what are you looking for from Jackson then? He had a rough start and then ended up scoring 30pts on 17 shots (64% from the field) while shooting 56% from 3 and getting to the FT line 3 times all while only playing 23 minutes. Do we ONLY measure improvement in one dimension of basketball (assists) that seems like a pretty silly stance.

Some guys are PG's some guys are SG's. Are SG's lacking because they aren't play makers like PG's? Maybe instead of the Pels trying to make Jackson into something he's not, they should let him work at his natural position of SG.

Derrick Favors
    I don't view Favors as a scorer as much as big man who dunks and does put backs. I think of a scorer as a guy who can create his own shot and that's not Favors.

The most impressive names from the game tonight (not counting Zion, who obviously barely played and just did enough to confirm that yes, he's awesome) were as follows:

1) Kenrich Williams - Great feel, obviously the best playmaker on the court, shot looked good but didn't go in, rebounded well. Was on trip dub alert.
    2) Zylan Cheatham - Insane hustle, was on course for a double double. Good defense for Summer League, showed real ability to read offenses.
    3) Frank Jackson - Obviously scored his shoes off, was very efficient doing so. Stroke looked nice. 0 assists, 3 turnovers isn't a good ratio, had one mode and that was score, but he did it well.

Everyone else was whatever.

I mean exactly what are you looking for from Jackson then? He had a rough start and then ended up scoring 30pts on 17 shots (64% from the field) while shooting 56% from 3 and getting to the FT line 3 times all while only playing 23 minutes. Do we ONLY measure improvement in one dimension of basketball (assists) that seems like a pretty silly stance.

Some guys are PG's some guys are SG's. Are SG's lacking because they aren't play makers like PG's? Maybe instead of the Pels trying to make Jackson into something he's not, they should let him work at his natural position of SG.
    I'm not looking at Frank Jackson in a vacuum and saying ''oh hey, is this man A Valid Player?''. I'm looking at him with regards to our needs and expectations, since what he's competing for are rotation minutes on OUR roster.

He can shoot, or at least has real potential for it. He can get his own shot, or at again, has at least showed potential for it. There are plenty of teams who need that desperately, and dammit, a few years back WE would have needed that desperately. But we are entering this season with a bunch of players who can either create their own shots as well as shots for others (Jrue, Ingram, Zion) or who are able to create offense without demanding the ball (Redick, Favors, Moore).

So if Jackson wants minutes in OUR rotation, yes, he needs to be able to do more than just create his own shot in isolation off the dribble.

I don't view Favors as a scorer as much as big man who dunks and does put backs. I think of a scorer as a guy who can create his own shot and that's not Favors.
    When I think scorer I think Lou Williams. Sure there are guys like Harden, Westbrook, etc., but do we even have a Williams level scorer on this team?

And yes, Favors is a put back machine, but he isn’t taking shots from 15 ft out.

It's just one game....well...not even that.....but I feel like Bluiett hurt his stock the most.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

When I think scorer I think Lou Williams. Sure there are guys like Harden, Westbrook, etc., but do we even have a Williams level scorer on this team?

And yes, Favors is a put back machine, but he isn’t taking shots from 15 ft out.
    Favors actually shot 43% from 10-16 feet this season, which was higher than AD and on par with Lamarcus Aldridge, both bigs that are generally held to have perfectly acceptable mid-range games.

But I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    It's just one game....well...not even that.....but I feel like Bluiett hurt his stock the most.
    Bluiett had stock?

Bluiett has that Enron level stock.

First game take aways:
    1. Zion cause earthquakes
    2. Like our G-League chances to win it all
    3. Defense and rebounding was solid - like really won that game especially after being down 20 at one point
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

It was kind of sad because it only lasted 9 minutes and it's clear that he was a little nervous, but it was still fantastic to see Zion dunk in a Pelicans jersey.

And that steal on Knox was special.

“Zion needs to get in better shape” he showed nothing to suggest he was in any worse shape than anyone else on the floor tonight you numbnuts ESPN hacks

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The match? Lol foreigners.

I'd say the game ended where it left off. Not important enough to keep going.

Pelicans 1-0, Knicks 0-1.
    LOL In Europe, this is what all sporting events are called. Thanks, however, for the answer.

It was kind of sad because it only lasted 9 minutes and it's clear that he was a little nervous, but it was still fantastic to see Zion dunk in a Pelicans jersey.

And that steal on Knox was special.
    It was special. Hella special. Like, you know something big is headed down the pipe.

My favorite moment tonight...beside the total hustle play from Zion; check out the reaction from Lonzo and Josh at court side. Lonzo in black t-shirt/Josh in white.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    I thought Jackson, Cheatham, and Bigby-Williams looked good. Especially Bigby Williams who was quite athletic and could make a shot. For those of you that don't know him, he transferred to LSU from Oregon. Sat out a year and will be 24 this year. He has more skill than Diallo. Pelicans apparently wanted him bad enough because he was reported to sign with Hornets.
    Along with Zy, K Williams and Frank , I was excited to see Bigby-Williams in the lineup at tip Off. He's strong and I had lost track of him, after LSU and the draft. He was actually better than Naz Reid.... He had 12 pts in 16 mins, shot 83% 5/6. 2/2 on FT, 10 rebounds, 2 blks, 1 asst and +13.

Had to be a really last minute pick up.
    Last edited by Shrimpnose; 07-05-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Thread Information