Pelicans Report

Thread: Boogie fires agent, Lil to late

The Franchise

Boogie fires agent, Lil to late

Per Marc Stein: The former All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins, in his search for a new home in free agency after spending last season with the Warriors, has changed representation ... enlisting the influential agent Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports

#ChessNotCheckers

He's out $35m. As Shaq says: He will never be able to make that up. Ever. From a human being standpoint, I feel bad for him. From a fan standpoint, I don't. It's a tough conundrum. Meanwhile, we sign Darius for $7m...Boogie won't even see that.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    #ChessNotCheckers
    At this point I think Boogie is playing Connect Four, and he's struggling with that too

Should be told to every incoming rookie. He better hope Kawhi doesn't sign with the Lakers. That's his only hope for any sort of payday. That or Europe.

I'm pretty sure that 90% of Cousins' wrong decisions come from himself and 10% from his agent. But hey, somebody has to take the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelispanish View Post
    I'm pretty sure that 90% of Cousins' wrong decisions come from himself and 10% from his agent. But hey, somebody has to take the blame.
    I would believe that, but it was the agent who made the stupid ''chess not checkers'' tweet. I'm betting it was 50/50.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Should be told to every incoming rookie. He better hope Kawhi doesn't sign with the Lakers. That's his only hope for any sort of payday. That or Europe.
    I don’t see the Lakers signing him regardless. I definitely don’t see a Houston signing him but would LMAO if it did happen being CP3 hates him and he hates CP3.

Here's what I don't understand, Kevin Durant basically has the same injury as Durant. He 30 and Cousins is only 28.
    I honestly don't think the Warriors were going to offer Durant a max contract and were probably glad they were off the hook
    for his 2019-20 salary. The Nets were one of the few teams stupid enough to offer him top dollar not knowing
    if he would ever make a full recovery. Yeah to some teams it may be worth the risk but not at $200 million or whatever.
    So why not offer Cousins at least a mid contract, he's worth the risk at that cost and is a younger player.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Here's what I don't understand, Kevin Durant basically has the same injury as Durant. He 30 and Cousins is only 28.
    I honestly don't think the Warriors were going to offer Durant a max contract and were probably glad they were off the hook
    for his 2019-20 salary. The Nets were one of the few teams stupid enough to offer him top dollar not knowing
    if he would ever make a full recovery. Yeah to some teams it may be worth the risk but not at $200 million or whatever.
    So why not offer Cousins at least a mid contract, he's worth the risk at that cost and is a younger player.
    Key difference: Durant was a 10 to 15 times better player to begin with, and had a game less reliant on physicality.

Boogie is a big heavy man whose game was dependent on taking people off the dribble, driving into them, overpowering them, etc. He was a mediocre to poor defender who was already relatively slow and easily exploited defensively.

Durant is a pretty light guy whose joints don't take that much of a load. His game was always more reliant on finesse and skill than on physical strength or size, and his jump shot will probably still be there after recovering from the injury. That alone makes him worth so much more than Boogie post-injury.

I'm not saying that the max will end up being worth it. I said pretty much immediately after the Nets signed KD and Kyrie that they will probably regret it in 3 years. But Durant is still a much better shot to come back well from this injury than Boogie was.

He's out $35m. As Shaq says: He will never be able to make that up. Ever. From a human being standpoint, I feel bad for him. From a fan standpoint, I don't. It's a tough conundrum. Meanwhile, we sign Darius for $7m...Boogie won't even see that.
    Yea I honestly feel bad for him. I don’t take anything he did personal. This guy was basically guaranteed a max contract going into the offseason and then tears his Achilles. Anybody who is happy what happened to Boogie simply never played a sport that wasn’t on their iPad

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea I honestly feel bad for him. I don’t take anything he did personal. This guy was basically guaranteed a max contract going into the offseason and then tears his Achilles. Anybody who is happy what happened to Boogie simply never played a sport that wasn’t on their iPad
    Hi GA. Don’t you think he made his own bed?

We're incredibly lucky he didn't take the contract that Demps offered him.

The Nets are on pins and needles. Durant is no longer a light, small fellow. He's grown into his man body and hasn't been thin for years. He is certainly a repetitive injury risk and does depend on lateral movement further from the goal than Cousins.

Nets are just being bailed out by the high school media now becuase they just want big names in the largest markets regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    We're incredibly lucky he didn't take the contract that Demps offered him.
    Eh. It was just a 2 year contract. The second year may only have been partially guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Hi GA. Don’t you think he made his own bed?
    Not really.. Like I said he was walking into a guaranteed max deal and then tears his Achilles. He felt disrespected by our offer and did what he felt was best for himself. I didn’t agree or like everything he did post injury but that was a very unfortunate situation and I can see why he might have been a little aggravated. I tore my Achilles twice and man those were some tough times! Maybe I feel a little more compassion do to that connection but not something I wish on my worst enemy much less Boogie who at his worst with us didn’t sign our contract? I’m sure he regrets how he handled the situation and we should be very happy he made the decision he did. Had he not we would have no Zion, AD probably never even demanding a trade with loyalty to Cousins while still leaving at end of the season, and Boogie under contract for another year.. If anybody felt somewhat betrayed at the time they should feel much different today!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-03-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Eh. It was just a 2 year contract. The second year may only have been partially guaranteed.
    If he would've signed it, it could have drastically changed the AD situation, thus altering the series of events that got us to where we are today. I think Boogie leaving was the first thing that really put ADs mind on leaving. Rondo leaving was the second one. Again, we're very lucky things shook out the way did.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Favors would beat his ******. Glad he’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't Boogie ALSO lose about $30 million when the Kings traded him to us?

He should have fired his agent after taking a one year deal with Warriors. He should have just focused on his rehab until he got a decent offer. Same thing he should do now. He would be dumb to take a one year minimum deal from anyone.

And his agent definitely deserved to get fired.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Because Durant is so much better than Cousins. That's the biggest reason why. Cousins puts up very good raw numbers, but he's such a poor IQ player and malcontent that it ruins whatever numbers he puts on the floor.

Thread Information