Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pels re-sign Darius Miller

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Yesterday it did. Lol
    That's why you can't trust their numbers. They are usually behind. I think it was yesterday someone started a thread talking about how much cap we had left and we had the updated numbers in there.

Griff and Lang, the wheel continues to turn, what's next? WOW!!!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's why you can't trust their numbers. They are usually behind. I think it was yesterday someone started a thread talking about how much cap we had left and we had the updated numbers in there.
    I believed you the first time you said that, I'm just letting you know what I was basing it off of. I usually go there because they are typically pretty quick with updates.

Obviously we can package Moore and Miller to get a bigger salary player (~16mil) money wise yes, but fans have to keep in mind that the team giving up that player actually has to want to take back what we are all agreeing on sending out. If I'm 29 other teams, unless I have a really overpaid player (not sure why Pels would want that anyway), not sure I'd feel great about receiving Darius Miller. Moore is solid, just don't have room for him on this team and we're likely moving in a different direction long term.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-03-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    God Forgive Me, I just can't imagine Dell Demps being this shrewd.
    Demps was a master at small contracts. He routinely did ingenious stuff with the cap to make things work in a wya we never expected.

Dude had flaws but he did some crazy good cap manipulation stuff.

I believed you the first time you said that, I'm just letting you know what I was basing it off of. I usually go there because they are typically pretty quick with updates.

Obviously we can package Moore and Miller to get a bigger salary player (~16mil) money wise yes, but fans have to keep in mind that the team giving up that player actually has to want to take back what we are all agreeing on sending out. If I'm 29 other teams, unless I have a really overpaid player (not sure why Pels would want that anyway), not sure I'd feel great about receiving Darius Miller. Moore is solid, just don't have room for him on this team and we're likely moving in a different direction long term.
    You're looking at it wrong. It's not about the players being sent back. The players are just there to match salaries. It's picks and stuff you attach to the players to get who you want that matters.

This is about future flexibility.

You're looking at it wrong. It's not about the players being sent back. The players are just there to match salaries. It's picks and stuff you attach to the players to get who you want that matters.

That's value of expirings. Moore and Miller are both pretty much expiring deals. A team may take them back to match salaries knowing they're going to be absolutely gone within the space of a couple of months, and will not impact their cap future whatsoever.

Expirings themselves actually hold some value, even before attaching picks or whatever.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post

Top 15 player* in the world.... Lol.

Miller can shoot. His downsides have nothing to do with his shot itself.

He's not that fast, he's not particularly athletic, he's not a very good one on one defender (surprisingly capable as a team guy, kind like Korver is), can't create his own shot, is sometimes hesitant to actually TAKE the shots he gets.

Those are his flaws. But if you just park him on the perimeter and tell him to fire open shots, he's fine at that. As the 10th man on the bench (which is what he will be), that's fine.

BTW the second part I was just saying in general, wasn't directed at anything you said previously. I get the players are there to match salaries but the team still has to want those players. You mentioned picks which obviously changes things, my hope would be that we don't move our future 1sts unless Kawhi goes the LA then I don't GAF about the picks anymore. And by future flexibility, you mean not exceeding trade deadline 2020 correct? Because beyond that this serves no purpose as we shouldn't keep him beyond this year if we can't move him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's value of expirings. Moore and Miller are both pretty much expiring deals. A team may take them back to match salaries knowing they're going to be absolutely gone within the space of a couple of months, and will not impact their cap future whatsoever.

Expirings themselves actually hold some value, even before attaching picks or whatever.
    I feel like this was absolutely true around 2015, but not so much anymore with the cap jumping like it did and insane contracts going out.

Miller can shoot. His downsides have nothing to do with his shot itself.

He's not that fast, he's not particularly athletic, he's not a very good one on one defender (surprisingly capable as a team guy, kind like Korver is), can't create his own shot, is sometimes hesitant to actually TAKE the shots he gets.

Those are his flaws. But if you just park him on the perimeter and tell him to fire open shots, he's fine at that. As the 10th man on the bench (which is what he will be), that's fine.
    Darius will be much higher in the rotation than you think. Gentry trusts him.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Lonzo, Jrue, Ingram, Zion, Favors
    Moore, Redick, Okafor

Who among those is Miller getting heavier minutes than? He's not as a good a shooter as Moore and Redick, and you need at least ONE backup big in your rotation.

BTW the second part I was just saying in general, wasn't directed at anything you said previously. I get the players are there to match salaries but the team still has to want those players. You mentioned picks which obviously changes things, my hope would be that we don't move our future 1sts unless Kawhi goes the LA then I don't GAF about the picks anymore. And by future flexibility, you mean not exceeding trade deadline 2020 correct? Because beyond that this serves no purpose as we shouldn't keep him beyond this year if we can't move him.
    By future flexibility I mean roster wise and trade wise. Having Miller and Moore on what is essentially both 1 year deals means we can move one or the other without needing to worry about how their shooting will be replaced. We can also combine them to take back a bigger contract.

Miller's contract specifically allows us to guarantee next year's amount if let's say next summer we need a filler contract to make a trade happen. It also allows us to see how he does in a better fitting role. Instead of forcing him to be a starting SF for us we can use him as a bench player where he might increase his value.

There's a ton of flexibility that a 1+1 deal for 7m adds to a team beyond just adding another shooter to the roster.

Moore, Redick, Okafor

Who among those is Miller getting heavier minutes than? He's not as a good a shooter as Moore and Redick, and you need at least ONE backup big in your rotation.
    Maybe Ingram is on way out

Top 15 player* in the world.... Lol.
    MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I don't believe Ingram, or Lonzo, will be traded until the deadline. If either is going to be moved, it will be after they have had a chance to play and show off their capacities in a real, high octane offense.

Moore, Redick, Okafor

Backup SF minutes. That's where I would assume Miller gets his playing time. Especially since Kenny Hustle has the size to play SF or PF.

Backup SF minutes. That's where I would assume Miller gets his playing time. Especially since Kenny Hustle has the size to play SF or PF.
    I'm not saying he won't play. I'm just saying that he's going to be a deep bench guy, rather than the 6th or 7th man.

The fact that he has the size to play SF doesn't really change much to me. Gentry has made it abundantly clear that he's willing to play 3 guard lineups,and I can't see there being a designated ''play a small forward here'' spot for Miller if just going in a more positionless direction is more helpful to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    We are in serious trouble if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post

This also shows Gayle's willingness to spend money. While this contract does not affect our cap it is money spent. As has been so well described repeatedly in this thread this allows us to have a greater ability to make trades down the line. and the cost of that potential is how much we are paying Miller over his market rate. There are some owners that would rather pocket the millions instead.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    God Forgive Me, I just can't imagine Dell Demps being this shrewd.
    Demps made quite a few shrewd moves.

I'm not saying he won't play. I'm just saying that he's going to be a deep bench guy, rather than the 6th or 7th man.

The fact that he has the size to play SF doesn't really change much to me. Gentry has made it abundantly clear that he's willing to play 3 guard lineups,and I can't see there being a designated ''play a small forward here'' spot for Miller if just going in a more positionless direction is more helpful to the team.
    We played 3 guard lineups because we had nothing else. I can promise you they would have much rather played a SF that could shoot a 3 then put Moore out there as a backup SF.

As far as 6/7/8/9th man I don't know how you make that differential between them. He will be the first SF off the bench to replace Ingram assuming we don't make anymore moves. Is that 6th man or 10th man? I don't think that matters. He will be in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Demps made quite a few shrewd moves.
    Indeed

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    ''Save it for a trade''

We can't. We have Miller's rights, therefore we can go over the cap to sign him. We cannot use that kind of money on literally anything else.

As far as the fan is concerned, this should be considered a minimum signing.
    Makes a lot more sense now - thanks

Thread Information