Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pels re-sign Darius Miller

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Save it for a trade, literally anything else. Is that really your logic? We "have nothing else to spend on" so lets give minimum players whatever we have left?
    This isn't eating our cap space since it was signed using his early Birds Rights. This transaction will take place after all our other signings.

While the money is shocking, it literally is money that could NOT go anywhere else or be used for anything else. Since it's a 1 year deal with a team option for a 2nd year it also gives us a medium level contract that can be added as part of deals while having no impact on our future at all.

The bigger issue is who we cut to make space for him, unless we are going to send a player out in a trade.

Just playing Devil's Advocate but he is a solid shooter that can spell Reddick on B2B games or in case the 35 yr old vet needs to rest a few games for load management. We are paying a bit extra for the team option, rather than just doing a 1yr rental. Maybe the FO thinks that someone will overpay for him at the trade deadline or next summer ? We have had a lot of change this season and having someone around that already knows Gentry's system will be a help. At 29 and 6-7 years with the Pels he can provide some veteran leadership as well. At the very least he can tell the new gys how much better they have it with all the new positive changes vs when he was drafted back in 2012.

Do you guys realize having filler salary is a necessity when it comes to trade deadline. So, let's break it down...

When you have no cap space and trade. You have to match salary.

Look at the contracts that we have. We only have Moore as a solid salary dump with a 9 mil exception. That's 17 million. That is the salary you can really trade for the forthcoming season.

You add Miller and sign him over the cap on a one year deal for 7 million. You essentially created 7 million in trade cap space to trade for at the deadline. We'll be able bring in a $24 million in salary with very little cost.

This signing isn't about the player. It's about the cap filler and being a potential asset to get picks or a close to max salary play back at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This isn't eating our cap space since it was signed using his early Birds Rights. This transaction will take place after all our other signings.

While the money is shocking, it literally is money that could NOT go anywhere else or be used for anything else. Since it's a 1 year deal with a team option for a 2nd year it also gives us a medium level contract that can be added as part of deals while having no impact on our future at all.

The bigger issue is who we cut to make space for him, unless we are going to send a player out in a trade.
    YeAh I’m sensing a trade but I don’t think it will be Miller that moves.

We were under the cap by 5+mil before this signing (Melli isn't offical and will be MLE), we could have easily signed someone better.
    False. After the favors trade we have around ~1m in space. Since this deal is being done with his early Birds Rights it could not have been used for anything else, it will be done after our signing of JJ Reddick, trade for Favors, and RLE signing of Melli.

Well, Bertans is almost certainly not going to be on the roster. So he's gonna go. That brings us down to 16 players, so basically we've gotta find one more guy.

Edit: can't Louzada just continue playing overseas, and be a full on draft/stash guy without eating a roster spot?
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-03-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Basketball.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Could this signal a Moore and maybe Williams or Bertans or Wood trade? I think this makes Moore even more expendable

The universe of spotrac.com on 7/2/2019. 5+ mil means a little over 5 but not near enough to say 6, c'mon on now.
    Do not believe sportrac or any other website right now. We were sitting at 18m in space before the Favors trade. Favors contract was for right around 17m. We had roughly 1m in space which isn't enough for even a 2nd round rookie contract.

Does the team have do anything else before the LA trade goes through this weekend?

Do not believe sportrac or any other website right now. We were sitting at 18m in space before the Favors trade. Favors contract was for right around 17m. We had roughly 1m in space which isn't enough for even a 2nd round rookie contract.
    If you check sportrac right now it has the updated Miller number on it, and it also says our total cap space is -$7,567,671

Miller's deal is listed at $6,850,962 in the first year.

So according to sportrac on 7/3/2019, we were a touch over the cap before Miller's deal anyway. By around $700k.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Question: If we were now to trade both Miller and Moore right now for draft picks, could we use the money saved to pick up a guy like Jabari Parker? Or would the saved 'Miller Money' be a non-factor?
    Miller's saved money is over the cap money so it wouldn't save us anything. Let's say after his signing we are 6m over the cap. If we trade Moore and his 8.5m we'd be left with roughly 2.5m in space. Basically the only way to capitalize on the Miller contract is with a trade where we take back a player. However he can't be traded until December unless we turn it into a sign and trade.

Miller's saved money is over the cap money so it wouldn't save us anything. Let's say after his signing we are 6m over the cap. If we trade Moore and his 8.5m we'd be left with roughly 2.5m in space. Basically the only way to capitalize on the Miller contract is with a trade where we take back a player. However he can't be traded until December unless we turn it into a sign and trade.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Do you guys realize having filler salary is a necessity when it comes to trade deadline. So, let's break it down...

When you have no cap space and trade. You have to match salary.

Look at the contracts that we have. We only have Moore as a solid salary dump with a 9 mil exception. That's 17 million. That is the salary you can really trade for the forthcoming season.

You add Miller and sign him over the cap on a one year deal for 7 million. You essentially created 7 million in trade cap space to trade for at the deadline. We'll be able bring in a $24 million in salary with very little cost.

This signing isn't about the player. It's about the cap filler and being a potential asset to get picks or a close to max salary play back at the deadline.
    Solid theory, I agree.

I don't get this one at all. Miller is a league minimum player without a doubt.

As others have said, this is all about facilitating a trade down the line. Taker summarized it really well. And then you also have the side benefit of getting a player who is a proven shooter, knows the system, and can help Melli assimilate because he played with him in Germany. This is a good signing since, as has been pointed out numerous times, this $7 mil could not have been given to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If you check sportrac right now it has the updated Miller number on it, and it also says our total cap space is -$7,567,671

Miller's deal is listed at $6,850,962 in the first year.

So according to sportrac on 7/3/2019, we were a touch over the cap before Miller's deal anyway. By around $700k.
    So yeah even sportrac has it showing we did not have 5m in space. Lol

1 year guaranteed, no real spots left, and it ain’t my money. He was the last signing. Chances are we weren’t signing anyone better without moving Moore. I like it. It’s a loyalty signing that gives us flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well, Bertans is almost certainly not going to be on the roster. So he's gonna go. That brings us down to 16 players, so basically we've gotta find one more guy.

Edit: can't Louzada just continue playing overseas, and be a full on draft/stash guy without eating a roster spot?
    Yes. Any overseas guy isn't counted as a roster spot.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    So yeah even sportrac has it showing we did not have 5m in space. Lol
    Yesterday it did. Lol

Moore
    Ball
    Hart
    Jackson
    Holiday
    NAW
    Williams
    JJ
    Ingram
    Zion
    Melli
    Okafor
    Wood
    Favs
    Jax

That's 15 Right there. think we need a 2 for 1 trade because I don't want to cut any of those guys

Basketball Guru
    i look at miller signing as the org. thinks that the team is good enough to be in the playoff mix before the trade deadline and can use him and moore to trade for a player that can help get us into the playoffs....

With the Miller re-signing, either Moore will get traded or Kenrich/Christian Wood get cut before the season. I think Christian Wood is the most valuable player of the 3. My bet is that Kenrich will be cut.

Lineup

PG: Ball/Hart/Jackson
    SG: Holiday/Reddick/NAW
    SF: Ingram/Miller/Moore
    PF: Williamson/Melli/Wood
    C: Favors/Okafor/Hayes
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-03-2019 at 10:49 AM.

So it looks like a depth add that is a partial guarantee that becomes really good trade fodder for next year. Package him with an expiring Moore to get a 17 mill salary this deadline maybe?

I know it seems questionable, but you could not add a salary like this or a player as good as miller on a minimum salary. So we used his early bird writes as an asset. I think this is a progressive move by a smart front office.

Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    So it looks like a depth add that is a partial guarantee that becomes really good trade fodder for next year. Package him with an expiring Moore to get a 17 mill salary this deadline maybe?

I know it seems questionable, but you could not add a salary like this or a player as good as miller on a minimum salary. So we used his early bird writes as an asset. I think this is a progressive move by a smart front office.
    You could indeed package Miller with Moore now to create essentially $16m of expiring contracts to send out in a trade, if you wanted.

God Forgive Me, I just can't imagine Dell Demps being this shrewd.

Thread Information