Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Pels re-sign Darius Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Could, sure, but would they? Maybe with Wood, but I doubt they'd be that interested in Kenny, despite Kenrich being the superior prospect.
    Is he really the superior prospect? The numbers say otherwise.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Is he really the superior prospect? The numbers say otherwise.
    I think he is, yes.

It's difficult to compare the numbers directly, because even when you account for things like per 36 and per 100 numbers, Kenrich played more than twice as many games this year as Wood total (almost 6 times as many games for the Pelicans), and it allowed him to go through hot and cold patches, whereas Wood came in during season-garbage-time and just play.

I do generally prefer the numbers whenever possible, but I don't think it's fair to use the numbers with regards to either person in this circumstance. It downplays the fact that Kenrich was allowed to have those cold patches which dragged down his numbers, it ignores the fact that Wood played games for two different teams last year and still played fewer games than Kenrich, and it also obscures defensive ability and hustle. Just from watching the games, Kenrich seems to play with more fire, more hustle, and to have a better feel for the game as well as stronger fundamentals, which makes me give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to some of his misgivings. Meanwhile, Wood put up better raw numbers, but that benefits from the small sample size and the absolute disregard for needing to win when he actually played.
    Basketball.

I think he is, yes.

It's difficult to compare the numbers directly, because even when you account for things like per 36 and per 100 numbers, Kenrich played more than twice as many games this year as Wood total (almost 6 times as many games for the Pelicans), and it allowed him to go through hot and cold patches, whereas Wood came in during season-garbage-time and just play.

I do generally prefer the numbers whenever possible, but I don't think it's fair to use the numbers with regards to either person in this circumstance. It downplays the fact that Kenrich was allowed to have those cold patches which dragged down his numbers, it ignores the fact that Wood played games for two different teams last year and still played fewer games than Kenrich, and it also obscures defensive ability and hustle. Just from watching the games, Kenrich seems to play with more fire, more hustle, and to have a better feel for the game as well as stronger fundamentals, which makes me give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to some of his misgivings. Meanwhile, Wood put up better raw numbers, but that benefits from the small sample size and the absolute disregard for needing to win when he actually played.
    I do agree that Kenrich has better intangibles, but just from a tools and physical standpoint, I think Wood has a higher upside. But to be fair, I don't think either have ceilings where they can be a consistent long-term starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    I do agree that Kenrich has better intangibles, but just from a tools and physical standpoint, I think Wood has a higher upside. But to be fair, I don't think either have ceilings where they can be a consistent long-term starter.
    I agree with that. I think either guy is a bench guy at their best.

I think he is, yes.

Generally, Pelicanidae, I find myself in agreement with your analysis, but in this case, I respectfully disagree, I'm of the ilk that Wood is the better prospect. I agree that 'playing the numbers game' in this case is futile because of the circumstances under which each player performed. However, I think that 'Kenny Hustle' types are much more plentiful and, thus, much more replaceable. Wood, on the other hand, possesses something that you can't coach into existence....length. Couple that with the athleticism that he's shown and I'm left with the impression that his ceiling is much higher than Kenrich's (though I will concede that his floor is probably much lower, too).

But, listen, doesn't it say a lot that we are differing on the 13th and 14th best players on the team!!!

Enjoy your Fourth from afar!!

I think Wood has the offensive upside plus he rebounds, but Kenny brings so much with his hustle.

It's really hard to say which I'd prefer

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    However, I think that 'Kenny Hustle' types are much more plentiful and, thus, much more replaceable. Wood, on the other hand, possesses something that you can't coach into existence....length.

But, listen, doesn't it say a lot that we are differing on the 13th and 14th best players on the team!!!
    Wood has length and height, sure, but there are plenty of tall, lengthy players with absolutely no hopes of ever becoming meaningful NBA guys because while physical frame is important, it's not everything.

Meanwhile, Kenrich has something that can't be coached either: feel for the game. And unlike length, that translates by definition. There have been hundreds of tall, long players whose careers have gone nowhere due to a lack of feel and IQ (Thon Maker jumps to mind here) but it's much more common to find high IQ/feel players who make it far despite a lack of crazy physical abilities (Ginobili jumps to mind, as does AK-47).

It's kind of a purely academic debate though, since as you say, it's unlikely either ends up being more than maybe the 10th man at best.

Have a good America Day :P

Wood has length and height, sure, but there are plenty of tall, lengthy players with absolutely no hopes of ever becoming meaningful NBA guys because while physical frame is important, it's not everything.

Meanwhile, Kenrich has something that can't be coached either: feel for the game. And unlike length, that translates by definition. There have been hundreds of tall, long players whose careers have gone nowhere due to a lack of feel and IQ (Thon Maker jumps to mind here) but it's much more common to find high IQ/feel players who make it far despite a lack of crazy physical abilities (Ginobili jumps to mind, as does AK-47).

It's kind of a purely academic debate though, since as you say, it's unlikely either ends up being more than maybe the 10th man at best.

Have a good America Day :P
    I like both but wouldn't be surprised if neither wind up on final roster. Cheatham looks good.

Thread Information