Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels re-sign Darius Miller

Pels re-sign Darius Miller

I posted this in the free agency thread but I guess because it is Pels news it deserves its own thread. Mods feel free to delete if that is not the case.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Did we really just waste 14mil on Darius Miller?

Second year is non-guaranteed, let me rephrase. Did we just waste 7mil on Darius Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Second year is non-guaranteed, let me rephrase. Did we just waste 7mil on Darius Miller?
    What else we gonna spend on for this year?

Let the man have his bread

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    What else we gonna spend on for this year?

Let the man have his bread
    Save it for a trade, literally anything else. Is that really your logic? We "have nothing else to spend on" so lets give minimum players whatever we have left?

Huge overpay for a borderline NBA player. How do we still have the space for this contract? Favors = 16.9 million, Melli 4, Reddick, 13.25, Miller 7.125. That is 41.275 million of contracts. This only makes sense if we are trading Moore.

Not a fan of bringing him back but oh well especially at 7 million a year smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Wait I'm confused. How many guys do we have under contract now?

First borderline questionable move by Griffin in my opinion. I would have rather paid Payton that money

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Huge overpay for a borderline NBA player. How do we still have the space for this contract? Favors = 16.9 million, Melli 4, Reddick, 13.25, Miller 7.125. That is 41.275 million of contracts. This only makes sense if we are trading Moore.
    I feel like we are trading Moore but the Melli signing isn't offical yet, so i think the timing of who signs when could impact this given the MLE.

He’s not joining AD in LA. Another small victory

Save it for a trade, literally anything else. Is that really your logic? We "have nothing else to spend on" so lets give minimum players whatever we have left?
    ''Save it for a trade''

We can't. We have Miller's rights, therefore we can go over the cap to sign him. We cannot use that kind of money on literally anything else.

As far as the fan is concerned, this should be considered a minimum signing.
    Basketball.

Its for one year. We are not signing any other FA so i guess its good.
    And yea i am still we are in "lets develop our young players" not "lets win" mode...
    Having shooters around zion, ingram, ball and hayes is crucial.
    7 mil is a bit too much but i dont mind it.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    First borderline questionable move by Griffin in my opinion. I would have rather paid Payton that money

Yes, definitely. This is a Gentry influenced move for sure. Miller has never been exceptional at anything. He is a solid shooter but fades when given significant minutes. Re-signing for the minimum would have been fine, but signing for 3 times the minimum is an overpay.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-03-2019 at 09:51 AM.

I'm not thrilled by it. Miller isn't a fantastic player.

BUT. He has one real skill, shooting, and he's fine at it. He's averaged basically 39% from three for us on about 5 attempts per game over the last two years. Did we technically need shooting? Yes. Will he see much time on the floor? Very probably not.

It's a fine move. Doesn't excite me, doesn't make me happy, but it doesn't stop us doing anything else and it's not my money so who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    ''Save it for a trade''

We can't. We have Miller's rights, therefore we can go over the cap to sign him. We cannot use that kind of money on literally anything else.

As far as the fan is concerned, this should be considered a minimum signing.
    We were under the cap by 5+mil before this signing (Melli isn't offical and will be MLE), we could have easily signed someone better.

This has to be some sort of trade chip right? Isn't JR Smith's big expiring non-guaranteed contract useful in some capacity? Also didn't Keith Bogans get like $5M one year for no reason other than to match salary in the Celtics - Nets KG/Pierce trade? If Jeff Green and WCS are out here getting vet mins how is Darius pulling 2-3 times that. And I'm a big fan of Darius.
    #FREEQUAIL

We were under the cap by 5+mil before this signing, we could have easily signed someone better.
    How were we? We had basically $32m at the time of free agency starting. We spent $13m on Redick, taking us down to about $19m, and then we absorbed Favors, whose contract itself was about $19m. We were left slamming head-first into the salary cap.

In what universe did we have not just $5m, but 5 PLUS million?

How were we? We had basically $32m at the time of free agency starting. We spent $13m on Redick, taking us down to about $19m, and then we absorbed Favors, whose contract itself was about $19m. We were left slamming head-first into the salary cap.

In what universe did we have not just $5m, but 5 PLUS million?
    The universe of spotrac.com on 7/2/2019. 5+ mil means a little over 5 but not near enough to say 6, c'mon on now.

Miller will be signed because we had bird rights and we could go over the cap with him. He's not taking cap space from anyone, unless Moore is moved, and it's one year deal basically.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We just spent 7 mil on Darius da fuq?.

More to this than meets the eye
    Hopefully it's just step 1 in a 3 step process. I keep hearing well kept him off the Lakers, I would have rather him go to Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We just spent 7 mil on Darius da fuq?.

More to this than meets the eye
    One Kentucky guy and a bunch of Duke guys.

Amen to that. He is not joining that other guy on the dark side.

Question: If we were now to trade both Miller and Moore right now for draft picks, could we use the money saved to pick up a guy like Jabari Parker? Or would the saved 'Miller Money' be a non-factor?

Thread Information